Easy Broken Door Mirror Fix

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
TaffZee

blank

Easy Broken Door Mirror Fix

Post by TaffZee »

Finally got round to fixing the door mirror on my Zed, I bought the repair kit from E Bay, if you don't want to end up re spraying the parts this is the one to go for: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151306513995? ... 1439.l2649 which comprises of a new internal fibreglass stem which replaces the brittle aluminium one, a metal spigot, a spring, spring washer, and some nice shiny new attachment bolts, along with some instructions.
Unfortunately I didn't intend to do this fix today, but got carried away and did not take any photos.

This is how I done it:

Remove mirror by gently prising it away from the door mirror casing.
Remove the electric mirror motor by unscrewing the four Philips screws
Behind the motor are four wires, gently pull these wires from the back of the motor (by doing this you can complete the fix without removing the door card), the motor is marked TOP so wiring for these are top left=White Top Right=Brown Bottom Left=Black and Bottom Right=Blue. I gave the terminals a good clean before re inserting them.

Remove the four torque screws that attaches the casing to the stem, and the casing will now come away in two parts. Unscrew the mirror from the door feeding the motor wires out while you remove it.

I now covered the painted base with plenty of masking tape to prevent damage to the paint.

You now need to remove the broken stem and the old spring, I used a grinder to cut the old stem and spring off, once this has been done you will be left with a metal hollow shaft running through the painted base, this is where the mirror becomes seized this is attached with a convex type washer under the painted base, after a soaking in WD40 I began to gently tap the shaft out of the painted base (from the side that you have cut with the grinder). Patience is needed here, I was concerned that I may damage the aluminium base if I hit to hard, gentle taps (and plenty of them is the way to go) Once you get this shaft out clean up the base where the shaft went through with emery paper. You are now ready to assemble the new parts.

Grease the parts where the metal shaft goes through the pained base. assemble the new shaft with the new spring, and insert into the painted base, I used a G clamp and a socket that sat nicely on the spring washer under the base, and slowly tightened the G clamp once the spring washer reaches the groove in the new shaft that the spring washer sits in check to make sure it is seated correctly in the groove, undo G clamp and feed motor wires through assembly, attach the new unit to the door with the new bolts supplied, re assemble door mirror (not forgeting to attach the motor wires you removed earlier) . Easy Fix it took me just over an hour to do.. Mirror folds now. Brilliant repair.
Image1998 Atlanta Blue 2.8