Z3 Best engine choice.

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
steviesteve

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Z3 Best engine choice.

Post by steviesteve »

Hi everyone.
I'm currently looking for a Z3 as a weekend car. Something to keep in the garage, covering less than 5 thousand a year.With the vast knowledge of the forum what is the consensus on the most reliable engine. I am only considering the 2.2 - 3.0 litre variants.
Do you think a budget of £4500 would be sufficient to purchase a relatively low owner sub 60k car?

Thanks for your input in advance.
Steve.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Re: Z3 Best engine choice.

Post by Jonttt »

Best all round and sound = 2.2 ( in sport form if you can get one )
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Now there's the $1000000 dollar question! It depends on what your wanting from the car, how you drive your car, running costs etc etc. I would go for a straight 6 for sure. 2.2, 2.8 or 3.0. I have a 2.8 and find it a superb all rounder. I'm not a fast driver but like the power on occasions and the torque is incredible. You can put your foot down at 40 in 5th and it'll pull off like a train. Whichever you go for I'm sure you won't be disappointed. There fantastic fun to drive and own and I'm sure you'll enjoy! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Mugs

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Mugs »

as much as i love the BMW straight 6 for torque and sound, i would also consider the 1.9 16v. they will still perform very well and run rings around most 2ltrs on the road.
it all depends on what you want from the car....fuel economy, low insurance costs or something that has bags of powerbut higher insurance.
for the economy...1.9 or for full on power 3.0ltr or 3.2 M.
for good allrounder - 2.8 and for less power more economy- 2.0ltr / 2.2ltr
remember the 1.8 and 1.9 are 4 pots and the rest are 6s.