Removing and fitting rear heated screen switch

What's happening in the wider BMW scene? Gossip and news about forthcoming models. Plus off-topic chat.
ssukisue

Z3 roadster 1.9

Removing and fitting rear heated screen switch

Post by ssukisue »

How do I remove the LED alarm and rear screen heater switch out please?
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Removing and fitting rear heated screen switch

Post by Robert T »

Hi Susan. You wouldn't be the same Susan that I've just answered on Facebook, would you?

Quick answer for the forum anyway. The rear switch tray is in two parts, with the piece you see on top and a rectangular piece below the console which clips to it, holding it in place. To get it apart it is usually easiest to take out the rear screws from either side of the centre trim, lift it slightly and then slide a hand under. If you need more room, then remove the screw under the ashtray as well.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Removing and fitting rear heated screen switch

Post by siwilson »

We should also point out that it is a right PIA to get back together. It also has sharp edges so watch out!

The two parts clip to together with the rear metal panel latching on some lugs on the front plastic facia. This is quite a tight fit so you need to put pressure in the right place to get it to 'click'. I found the best way to get the two piece to click back together was to use a pair of good old water pump pliers like these.
They are narrow enough for the bottom jaw to go through the switch opening and 'pinch' the two piece together. Just remember to protect the plastic faces with a piece of cardboard or similar.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue