Aug 12-21: The Big Europe Run

Photos and reports from past events
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Aug 12-21: The Big Europe Run

Post by DavidM »

René Michel, BMW Z3 Club Vierwaldstättersee wrote:The 3rd BMW Z3-Meeting in Andermatt will be on Sunday, 15th August 2004. We will have program from Friday till Sunday with a tour on Saturday. On Sunday we will start at the hotel and drive in convoy to Andermatt (on the St Gotthard Pass between Switzerland and Italy). Link to registration and info pages: http://www.bmwz3club.ch/.
Last call for any UKers that want to take part - we have a hotel sorted - and a campsite is available too that at least two cars are using - I have all the routes done - been liasing with the Swiss crew for other aspects of it. So if you want to come along let me know - there are a couple leaving from the UK on the 12th - we are meeting some other UKers in Luzern and Freddy and the Belgian crew as well - Mike (from the US ) is travelling from Sicily and meeting us en route

Dates are 12th August - 21st August - inclusive

Ferries will be booked tonight - but I can send details of the hotel, ferries and routes (in Autoroute 2004 format) to anyone who is genuinely interested in attending this event with us

Also worth noting is that we have changed from the idea of doing multiple countries - we will be using Luzern as our base for the whole stay (unlike last year when we changed hotel each and every night) - every one of the routes fans out from Luzern - so Europe 2004 is now Swiss 2004 - we will just be passing through France and Germany - heading for the hotel to get in the Spa Baths!
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

I live about 15 minutes from Luzern so I would like to join you guys for the weekend run as long as it does not complicate your organization and if it's open to Z4's. By the sounds of it you guys are very well organized but I thought of a couple of things which might be helpful if you don't already know them.

Here in CH they do a lot of controls on cars and trucks. This is particularly the case in central Switzerland as it leads to Gottard. Make sure you have all of your docs and importantly first aid kit, spare glasses or contacts, warning triangle etc otherwise they will want some money.

The previous advise to be careful about speed camera's should be well taken. Firstly even with GB plates they will catch up with you. The camera's are normally kept full of film and they are very sneaky. Newer camera's are often hidden in bollards etc and are not advertised like UK ones. There is also a new policy of setting up mobile radar points between 500m and 1km before the fixed camera's. The following website provides an up to date listing of fixed camera locations: http://www.radar.ch

I can also send you maps of the fixed radar points of you like from the swiss equivalent of autoroute, twixtroute. Snoopers and b2's etc are not legal in most Kantons. This means that even possessing one can land you with a heavy fine. A collegue of mine was recently fined about GBP 2.5K!

Now some good things:
1. If the hotel you have selected is the Park Hotel in Weggis you will have an amazing time, the spa and wellness facilities are amazing.
2. Most of the mountain (fun) roads do not have camera's so will not spoil the fun.

If you want any more info just let me know.
Greg.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Hey Greg - you are more than welcome to join us - we have a route planned for every day of our 10 day stay - the hotel we have chosen is http://www.wellness-roessli.ch/ - is this the same one that you are referring to?

All our routes use mountain roads and should be fun but taxing

Can twixtroute maps be read in Autoroute do you know -if not it'll be a shame as many of the locations would be "useful"

Email me for more details on what we'll be doing and I can send you route maps back

Look forwards to meeting you in August
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Hey Greg - you are more than welcome to join us - we have a route planned for every day of our 10 day stay - the hotel we have chosen is http://www.wellness-roessli.ch/ - is this the same one that you are referring to?
It's not the same hotel I was thinking of but I am sure it will be excellent. The standard of service in hotels here is always very good.
DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote: All our routes use mountain roads and should be fun but taxing
Can twixtroute maps be read in Autoroute do you know -if not it'll be a shame as many of the locations would be "useful"
Email me for more details on what we'll be doing and I can send you route maps back
Look forwards to meeting you in August
From what I can see the two systems are incompatible, but I could export the maps to a PDF, but this may not be dynamic enough. The only other possible might be through a GPS system as an interface. It supports protocols from NMEA, and Garmin. I don't know of this is possible as I don't have a handheld GPS/Nav system nor have I used one.

I will PM you with my email address for the route info.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Well let me know Tim, especially if you are in on the Friday trip to Piz Gloria - it appears that a fair few of the Swiss guys are interested in joining us on that route I have planned - so it could well be a big run out - which would be fab. Also a new meeting point for the Andermatt run has been added - our hotel is now a pick up point :D The hotel has flagpoles outside - now all I have to do is to figure how to hoist my England and Wales flags without them noticing :wink:
SLX 280

BMW other

would love to...

Post by SLX 280 »

David,

I would love to be coming out and joining, just come back from a week in the alps, flew out though (to Geneva) and had a hire car (van) it was a pug 807 huge!!! it was also brand spanking new.....but I ran it in over the mountain passes :D first time I've driven a LHD manual (autos in USA fine), weired kept going to change gear with left hand!! made worse by the fact the handbrake was down by the left hand side of the seat? a few times I nearly put it in Reverse when I went for 1st?? ooops :shock:

Remember although I'm sure you have, to allow a little extra for the swiss tax.

I'll be thinking of you guys as I'm ripping out the old kitchen and bathroom on my new purchase...ready to re do :D

Have fun
Scott
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

and don't forget the price of petrol. Shell 98 is between 63 and 65p per litre :mrgreen:

I must say I am really looking forward to it.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Tim, great to hear your coming along with us.
Now you can start to practice your timing and distances :wink:
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

greg_ch wrote:I must say I am really looking forward to it.
Me too - only 2 months now - then weeeeeeeeeheeeeeeee into the mountains we go :D

Greg - you are joining us on the Piz Gloria run - arent you?
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Greg - you are joining us on the Piz Gloria run - arent you?
Sorry I didn't notice your post David. I will delfinately be joining the Piz Gloria run. Just hope I can keep up!
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Yeah you'll be able to the route is lots of twisty roads - so the ///Ms lose the straight line advantage and the playing field is levelled - and anyway - we drive at a speed that is suitable for all
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

cool :D
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Twisties, eh? This could be where two Z4s with SMG show a clean set of heels to some elderly M roadsters.

(Might live to regret this. If so, will blame need for extended running in)
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Zmurf wrote:Twisties, eh? This could be where two Z4s with SMG show a clean set of heels to some elderly M roadsters.
In your dreams Mr Cullis - perhaps a little wager :wink:
Zmurf wrote:If so, will blame need for extended running in
No excuse will be accepted - I'll start cueing up "We are the Champions" now :D
Surj
Z Register organiser

Porsche

Post by Surj »

Or [Mr Cullis] - a well sorted 911 or two: not that I condone that sort of behaviour you understand! :roll:

Gary will be there driving one handed while munching on a cake and supping a coffee - and still be keeping up; isn't that right Gary?? :twisted:

One year, I'll get to go to one of these things... :nerd:
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

Everything finally booked. Going out with the main group Dover-Boulogne on Thu 12 August at 0745. Camping with Nick (and Mike/Heather?) at Lido International. Return ferry 0030 Thu 19 Aug, so will leave Switzerland at the latest on the morning of the 18th.

Tim
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Zmurf wrote:Return ferry 0030 Thu 19 Aug, so will leave Switzerland at the latest on the morning of the 18th
Tim: After gorging on humble pie and losing my wager to DavidM and MikeP for my comments about whipping M Roadster butt in the twisties
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

Just done an excellent week of twisties with Phil and Marise, so bring on the rest.
Won't be drinking coffee as causes too many pee pee stops :oops: .
Z3M is very quick around the tight twisties and the torque does give it some pulling power out of them.
SAMMY

BMW convertible

Post by SAMMY »

Hi all

I'm leaving the ring on the 12th with another 6 or so days to spare any chance of me joining in with your plans ?????
AlexC

M roadster S52

everyone ready?

Post by AlexC »

This topic seems quite quiet- the last post was July 5th and the run is planned for 8 days time. Or have I missed somethig and the trip is cancelled :bawl:

There's a lovely thunderstorm here passing over Thunersee as I look out of the window- hope that's not the case for the end of next week :oops:

My wife Lorraine and I will be able to join people on the Friday evening (bummer we have to work) and for the Saturday. Is there a particularly meeting place and time we can arrange? Sorry if I have missed some info. :nerd:
Cheers
Alex
AlexC

M roadster S52

Post by AlexC »

:mrgreen:
Hehe love the St Bernard avatar next to my flag- how did that happen??
Can I have my //M back now please?
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

No all still on - PM me with your email address and I'll send you more details than you could ever want!

Do you have Autoroute 2004 or do you want PDF versions of the routes?

DavidM
Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

AlexC wrote::mrgreen:
It's because you're a dog (aka haven't specified what type of car you drive).

Tim
AlexC

M roadster S52

Post by AlexC »

Zmeagol wrote:
AlexC wrote::mrgreen:
It's because you're a dog (aka haven't specified what type of car you drive).

Tim
aaah back to the //M, actually I rather miss the dog :bawl:
FreddyK

Z3 roadster 1.9i

packing tips

Post by FreddyK »

OK, D-day for Switserland is almost there. Time for some packing tips maybe ?

We all know that the Z3 is not a station wagon, so how do you make best use of the boot (and other parts of the car).

For example: where do you store the roof cover in case it is raining when you leave home (or do you just leave it at home) ?

This is the first time we're taking the Z for a 7-day holiday, so any tips are highly appreciated.
Freddy

Zmeagol

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zmeagol »

I wouldn't bother with the tonneau cover, though if you decide to take it, try putting it upright behind the passenger seat. Things you don't need to access easily can be stored under the seats (raise the seat up to pack them in, then lower it down again). Jam the map books and instructions between the seat and centre console, then they won't get lost. Otherwise read Mike Fishwick's 'quart in a pint pot' write-up.

Tim
FreddyK

Z3 roadster 1.9i

storage room under seats ? Yeah, right...

Post by FreddyK »

Tim,

I don't know what kind of seats you had in Zmurf, but when I raise the seats, I can insert about 2 sheets of paper underneath them. It is filled with bars, motors and wires :head: .

Thanks for Mike Fishwick's article, very enlightening.

Will see for the tonneau cover after everything else is packed.
Freddy

Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Enjoy!

Post by Alfie »

Guys.

Just like to wish you a FAB trip.
Sounds like a great jolly.

Sorry I'm not joining you.

Have fun!

Cheers!
Alfie.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Ach we leave at 5 am on Thursday morning - I am not going to be at my best - but 14 hours and 700 odd miles later in Switzerland whilst supping beer looking out over Lake Luzern I should be feeling slightly better

There will be a plentiful supply of photos after the event of both our contingents escapades and the big Swiss meet itself
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Very jealous - have a great time guys!
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

You aint seen the routes and the passes - that would make you double jealous - the Evo hill climb route - http://www.z3roadster.net/uploads/evo_article.pdf - is going to be a dream - 14km run of hairpins along a valley floor then up a mountain side - yabba-dabba-doo ... And I get to drive it once or twice then I am getting out and finding a vantage point with the 300d and a big telephoto lens and will shoot everyone else having fun driving parts of it - including PN - so that should be good for her to give the ///M a good try out - especially with the new struts and wheels - although she still thinks the zorsts are too boomy for her

And it is not too late to join us - get Charlotte out - remind her that you love her because she is a lovely M Roadster - drop the top - gun the engine - don the shades - ccccccruise to Weggis - hang out - blast the passes - visit the glaciers - have I convinced you yet?

I also have a cunning new toy for being able to take tons of photos - I bought one of these - http://www.smartdisk.com/Products/Digit ... shTrax.asp - and very good it is too
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Ach we leave at 5 am on Thursday
Ahhh the wonders... however I think I shall get up at :puzzle: 6.30am :D
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

garyw wrote:
DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:Ach we leave at 5 am on Thursday
Ahhh the wonders... however I think I shall get up at :puzzle: 6.30am :D
I may be approaching something resembling neanderthal man at that time of the morning - speech will still not be possible - communication via grunts until at least 7 am :wink:
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

David asked me to jot down some things to remember when driving here in Switzerland. It’s all common sense stuff, but as someone said to me ‘the world would be a better place if sense was more common’

The first thing to note is that 'Kontrolle' is very common. The good news is that in my experience they are very polite, even to the extent of providing you with a business card and email address. They are also very aggressive regarding drink driving. Be aware that the limit is similar to the UK's.

Now some specifics to keep in the car:

Safety items:

Spare bulbs is optional but the rest is mandatory
Warning triangle
Spare glasses or contact lenses if you wear them

Your documents:

Passport
Drivers License
Identity card if you have one

You will also need to buy a vignette at CHF 40 (about 20 quid). Try and purchase and fix one at a gas station before the border and then you can use the 'mit vignette' line rather than lining up.

I would also add to this copies of your:

V5 (registration document)
Insurance policy including evidence of insurance coverage in Switzerland e.g. green card as it is outside the EU.

I was asked for all of these after being in an accident earlier this year. Even if the accident is clearly not your fault as it was in my case, the police can still insist on non-residents paying a CHF 500 (about 250 quid) deposit. If you have an accident always call the police.

Emergency numbers:

117 Police
118 Fire brigade
144 ambulance

Speeding and limits:

120 km/h on the autobahn
80 km/h out of town
50 km/h in town

Leave you radars jammers and snoopers etc at home. Possession of one could cost you about CHF 5000

If you get a speeding ticket you will be expected to pay.

Here is a list camera locations on the way down from Basel to Luzern, as you will probably be tired towards the end of the day mark them on the map in advance. Also be aware that mobile cameras are also very popular and the police will often be waiting just before tunnels and just after. On the Autobahn, I stick the car in cruise for the tunnels.

Source: http://www.radar.ch/

A2 Egerkingen - Basel
Im Arisdorftunnel in beide Fahrtrichtungen.

A2 Egerkingen - Basel
Zwischen Diegten und Sissach, Höhe Rastplatz

A2 Basel - Egerkingen
2.4 km nach dem Ebenrain-Tunnel Fahrtrichtung Egerkingen

A2 Luzern - Egerkingen
Zwischen Emmen-Süd und Emmen-Nord

A2 Luzern - Egerkingen
Nach dem Reussporttunnel

A2 Egerkingen -Luzern
Zwischen Emmen-Nord und Emmen-Süd

A2 Egerkingen -Luzern
In der Autobahnbaustelle zwischen Horw und Luzern (Tempo 80 km/h)

A2 Egerkingen - Luzern
Vor dem Reussporttunnel

Other odds and sods:

Daytime running lights are advised but not yet mandatory in all Kantons
Fog lights on with out fog will induce a fine

I am sure to have forgotten something so if any one has any questions let me know and I will mail back ASAP.

Can't wait till Friday :D , and I am praying the weather forecast is wrong!
Last edited by greg_ch on Mon 09 Aug, 2004 21:40, edited 1 time in total.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

I am praying the weather forecast is wrong
It is showing showers on the BBC Weather site - is it worse locally?
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

DavidM (King Of Chrome) wrote:
I am praying the weather forecast is wrong
It is showing showers on the BBC Weather site - is it worse locally?
Rain and not a hint of sun unfortunately. But it's five days to go and things can change fast.
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

The ///M is packed and polished - the routes are planned - now I head to bed to get up at some ungodly hour to go and meet Tim and Gary at the ferry - expect a photo overload in two weeks time - c ya
Attachments
Our chariot for the week - ho hum it could be worse :)
Our chariot for the week - ho hum it could be worse :)
David's_M_Filmstrip.jpg (47 KiB) Viewed 6291 times
AlexC

M roadster S52

Have a safe trip

Post by AlexC »

The stars are out tonight in Switzerland. Wonderful clear sky. Latest forecast is that from Sunday it should be nice and sunny, however this Friday and Saturday will be 'changeable'. So let's be optimistic :colourful: .
Have a safe drive over- cu Saturday
Cheers
Alex
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

I am still in Germany, so it's possible I might bump in to the chaps on my way back, as I assume they will cross the border in Basel. Can't wait for tommrow to be done with :mrgreen:
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

A brief progress report with pics is available here -
http://www.z4um.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5210
AlexC

M roadster S52

Post by AlexC »

Giles wrote:A brief progress report with pics is available here -
Hi Giles and Greg.
Am I missing something or are the pictures not there? :head: I couldn't see them if they were. Can you help? :rtm:
Cheers

Alex
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

AlexC wrote:
Giles wrote:A brief progress report with pics is available here -
Hi Giles and Greg.
Am I missing something or are the pictures not there? :head: I couldn't see them if they were. Can you help? :rtm:
Cheers

Alex
I only posted 3 pics as I did not take too many. I know David has tons so that will be something to look forward to.

p.s.if any one wants me to remove the reg plates just let me know.
Attachments
From Sunday at the glacier on the Sustenpass after a small detour
13_14_15_08_2004_BIG_BMW_Z_EURO_MEET - 73.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
13_14_15_08_2004_BIG_BMW_Z_EURO_MEET - 61.jpg (127.77 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
From Saturday at the foot of the Klausenpass
From Saturday at the foot of the Klausenpass
13_14_15_08_2004_BIG_BMW_Z_EURO_MEET - 53.jpg (119.68 KiB) Viewed 6185 times
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Cool - I have over 800 shots so far - and more to come - had some great runs - fab roads - you have missed a great run out - although it may have been a little too fast for some on the passes - we were going up one at 80mph yesterday with Gary in pursuit - mwahahahaha - all blind curves too - unless you overtake on the wrong side - ho hum - taught PN how to take them though and how far ahead to look to be able to go it blind
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Post by DavidM »

Tim should have some great video too - he was behind various cars on certain passes and shot a load of footage

Met Greg (obviously) and Alex and Lorraine - plus Mark and Tammy too - all really nice people who we hope to see again soon

And for those that wondered about ...
Twisties, eh? This could be where two Z4s with SMG show a clean set of heels to some elderly M roadsters.
Well, the M can show Tims Z4 a clean set of heels on the straights, but it was damn close on the twisties, so close that Tim and I would not be prepared to call a winner, that which the M lost on the turns, it was more than capable of eating up on the straights again.

But with the struts and braces etc, the M can take the twisties very well - u just have to know how far the back will go before snapping out and push it to that limit
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

So Tim No Crazy Driver heh?

Post by stu »

Shame.

Looking forwards to the video though.

Make sure Tim remembers what 6" looks like this time. :oops:
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
scarab

M coupe S54

Post by scarab »

Hi Guys,
it was a great time we spent in Switzerland. :D
Here are some photos I took last weekend.
Enjoy it!

http://www.scarab.smugmug.com/gallery/194815

Greetings from Germany
Gerd (scarab green M-coupe)
greg_ch

Z4 M roadster

Post by greg_ch »

Thanks for the link Gerd, the pics are great. BTW the paint work on your coupe is really cool in my opinion. :D
DavidM
Z Register member

Z4 M roadster

Re: So Tim No Crazy Driver heh?

Post by DavidM »

stu wrote:Make sure Tim remembers what 6" looks like this time. :oops:
No competitions like that this year - totally different type of event - more like the UK ones - a lot of fun and a lot of nice people too
Madeira Jon

BMW convertible

Post by Madeira Jon »

Anyone travelling from Southern France (DongDong) area to Calais Sept weekend 20-21st?
Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas