My European trip with a TT in tow

Photos and reports from past events
Desiro

M roadster S50

My European trip with a TT in tow

Post by Desiro »

The boot was full ( 2weeks worth)

Overnight crossing from Hull to Zeebrugge went almost without a hitch. Zed’s battery was flat upon arrival in Zeebrugge due to the alarm going off all night. I even read the manual before we set off so I could disable the internal sensors; fortunately I was parked at the top of the ramp so rolled forward and bumped it.

Boring drive down to Strasbourg and stayed a couple of nights.

On to Lake Constance, home of the Zeppelin museum where there is a reconstruction of the Hindenburg. We stayed in Friedrichshafen which was ok but nothing special, so we used the ferry to visit other towns which were much more interesting.

Drive to Landeck in Austria meandering through the black forest. The best drive so far scenery wise, but not very challenging. The girls loved it.

We stayed for 3 nights in Landeck which is in the heart of the Austrian Tyrol a great base for mountain driving. We received a road book from the hotel (Enzian) with 23 tours of the surrounding mountains Austria -Italy - Switzerland - Germany and Lichtenstein. It’s a great guide including recommended stops and graded black, red and blue for levels of difficulty, similar to ski runs.
This was the start of some spirited driving and showed up the Audi’s lack of grunt. He was trying to keep the turbo on the boil all the time which meant changing down to first in some of the tighter bends.
The TT encountered its first problems here; we could smell burning rubber after every steep climb. I thought it was a belt; maybe due to the water pump seizing or something similar.
It turned out to be the tyres not liking the tight hairpins and they were getting extremely hot.
On the way to Kaunertal glacier
Getting higher
At the top 2750 metres the weather could have been better. theres a cable car to 3100 metres but it disappeared into the clouds.
Stopped to fill up with water on the way back down

Next on to Lake Garda and Sirmione, with it’s beautiful grey sky’s and rain lashed shores. This 35km. peninsula jutting out into the southern shores of the lake would have been idyllic if only it had stopped raining.
The route to Garda involved a run over Stelvio; at the base we passed a tractor then another and another, too much of a coincidence I thought…. I was right.
We passed about another 200 on the way to the top!
It was a tractor race and we were in the middle of it. Oh what fun passing 10 tractors at a time flat out in second gear between bends, but the smoke! Phew
The little one did'nt half shift
Tractors at the top
And a London cab
Back down to Bormio
Great fun racing the bikes on the twisty bits. Had to stop and reverse back halfway through a tunnel to let a truck pass!

When we reached Bormio the road was closed so I punched in “avoid road block” into Sally and for some strange reason I clicked avoid toll roads too, so ended up going over the Gavia pass via the S300 one of the best mistakes I could have made, it was awe inspiring.

After Garda we did the long drive down to Monaco and a sample of the Grand Prix circuit before heading off to Nice for an overnight stay.
monaco of course
Lots of these here

Next day was the turn of the route Napoleon from Cannes to Grenoble. Some fantastic long twisty’s here where the TT could keep up. Every sort of corner you could wish for, from mountain hairpins to very fast sweepers, all on superb clean, smooth tarmac.
An absolute must if you find yourself in this part of France.
We stayed for lunch in the beautiful village of Castellane and another stop in Corps before heading off to Annecy for 2 nights.

Annecy is like a little Venice. The medieval town centre built around a 14th Century Chateau and is dissected by small canals and streams running out of Lac Annecy, a wonderful azure colour, but very cold.
Annecy
Lac Annecy
Nancy was only supposed to be a way station on the trip from Annecy to Zeebrugge, no more than a geographically desirable place to break up the drive. It has an impossibly beautiful town square which hosts a sound and light show like nothing I have ever seen. I can highly recommend it as an alternative to Reims
Beer
The visit to Nancy was soured a little by the fact I curbed two alloys entering an underground car park. £150 to restore them to their former glory.
Back to Zeebrugge and home.
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Can't believe that, it was like deja vu.

You've practically done a trip we did few years ago in reverse.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21219

Geneva - lovely but rained all the time for us too and Annecy, again better than we expected and used the underground car park which I felt a little uneasy about leaving Zippy there but was okay.

Scenery is stunning and those twisty roads are so amazing..

Just bought the Z3 luggage set so I'm priming my other half for another trip next year, it's what zeds were made for.

Thanks for sharing your pics
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
rgf

Not specified

Post by rgf »

What a trip.
Fantastic scenery.
Great roads.
Thanks for posting - I am very jealous.

My trip on the A1 to Doncaster tomorrow won't quite live up to yours!
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Great trip, thanks for taking the trouble to share :D
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

errr...........wow! :D

that make the snake pass look like a straight road :lol:
the badness makes me do it...!

Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

Great write up, thanks for sharing. Gives me an idea for when the children have left home....
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Snoops
Why did you not say earlier i could have saved myself weeks of planning :head:

RGF I here Donny is nice this timeof year :)
Titan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Titan »

myredzed wrote: Gives me an idea for when the children have left home....
Gives me an idea for leaving the kids at home alone :shock:
Image :devil:
Desiro

M roadster S50

Post by Desiro »

Great trip, thanks for taking the trouble to share
It's amazing what an evening alone and a bottle of wine can do :lol:
snoops

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by snoops »

Desiro wrote:

Snoops
Why did you not say earlier i could have saved myself weeks of planning :head:
Ahhhh but planning is all part of the fun is it not. If you've checked out the link I put on you'll see the route we did last year, did loads of N roads but the towns are correct.

Have to say, if you've done mountains, France - albeit lovely, doesn't compare (IMHO) if the driving is part of your holiday and let's face it.... it is... :drive.
Image...........No Mods...... I like him just the way he is
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

Hi All,

What a fantastic looking trip.

I am currently planning a similar trip for this summer, unfortunately, not in the Zed (unless I can figure out a way of getting 3 large suit cases for mrs SB into it!!!).

Anyway, plan is to stay in Carcassonne area for a week or so, travelling down via Millau. Any advice on a circular route from Calais, hotels, good N roads, nice towns etc would be very welcome indeed.

Thanks

Simon
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

What a great trip Desiro, thanks for the write up and great piccies.
GREEEEEEN with envy. :bounce: :cheers
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
jam_boy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: My European trip with a TT in tow

Post by jam_boy »

Wow amazing trip and photos! looking to drive to monaco this summer, so researching and getting lots of useful tips off zroadster! girlfriend very concerned about lack of space for shoes! :head:
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Looks fab! Did a similar thing years ago in a brand new XR2 covertible............... showing my age :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Tell the girfriend........ you only need three pairs of shoes, 1 black, one white, one cream or metallic with 2 inch heels............. sorted :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Beautiful scenery. Super looking ////M.

Ok P. We need to see some piccies of the XR2 convertible. :D
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Greg01

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Greg01 »

Hi all
Looks like a great trip !
We doing ours in October down to milou over to Monaco
Over to Venice then Italy. Area for some of the passes etc
Then Switzerland Austria then over towards
Brugge
Then back .
Just starting to get the z up to scratch .
Thanks for piccs an idea, s to visit .
Greg
sobe_on

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by sobe_on »

wow~~~~
Great road for Zed RUN~~~ :twisted:
BMW Aero Side Skirt/rear spoiler & chrome roll bar/ handle
AC schnitzer front/rear bumper splitter,Exhaust,type2 17"
BC coilover/H&R swaybar/wiecher's strut