Top Gear - DSC - Driverless Stability Control

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Top Gear - DSC - Driverless Stability Control

Post by stu »

For those that saw it, what do you think?
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

impressive, but it needs to be explained a little bit more before commenting on properly imo.
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
Giles

Not specified

Post by Giles »

Very clever and no surprise from BMW.

But why? :bawl:
Justin Time

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Justin Time »

it would take the fun out of driving, wouldn't it?

but for the morning commute, it would be a godsend. extra 15 mins curled up asleep at the wheel. Legally! :lol:
BMW Z3 2.0L Velvet Blue Individual Edition
estocks

Not specified

Post by estocks »

It's very clever, nae amazing, but the object recognision and collision avoidance systems (being showcased at the DARPA race) are way behind it.
Use the Search button before posting newbie questions about hard tops and fitting kits, footwell speaker amps, water in the boot, hood maintainance and those horrific angel eyes. We get like 10 threads a week on the same subject, it's obvious that you haven't searched.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Very expensive cab ride
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Roaders

BMW other

Post by Roaders »

Do we think the car was JUST working from GPS coordinates or sis it know which way to go from GPS and looking where it was going at the same time?

If someone had left a car parked on the track would the robot have driven into it at full speed or stopped / tried to avoid it.

All the DARPA cars have a huge array of sensors mounted on the roof. I certainly don't think this car would be able to navigate traffic / signs ect.

Very impressive anyway.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

GPS and mimickery I believe
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
BimBeema

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by BimBeema »

I think it looked pretty cool purely from a technology point of view! would it work in real life? it would probably need ALOT of further development, like how to navigate traffic lights, roundabouts, etc as well as moving traffic, stationary objects, possible people jumping in front, sudden brakin, etc, i.e. all the hazzards you would face in normal driving!

It would probably require many sensors all the way round the car, constantly measuring distances to other objects on the road and keeping these in check with speed and braking distance, etc! most probably would also have a manual over ride in case the driver needs to take evasive action!

Whilst it may look like a gimmick, I can certainly see it working in real life though it needs alot more thought, development and testing before you could take it on to a motorway!

All this technology though would certainly dumb down future generations of humans though! Already people are so used to SAT NAVs that they're almost forgetting how to read maps and if they didn't need to drive aswell! Abit like how calculators have dumbed us down! Think what would happen if Satelite systems were knocked out for some reason, people couldn't drive, wouldn't know how to get from A to B! Food for thought....!
rustyz4

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by rustyz4 »

It was pretty amazing to see,, not sure I would want to sit in a car in busy traffic, that was driving itself :P

But you can see the potential and I guess it will happen one day,,

The only thing is I would presume that they would be programmed to stay within speed limits, that would bugger up the goverments income ( not that is what speed cameras are for of course :? ) :D