Car Insurance

Discussions on better road driving, advanced courses and the like
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Car Insurance

Post by John1950 »

Last March I bought my first Z3 and mighty good fun it's turned out to be. However, for insurance I simply informed my current insurer to get the policy changed. This policy is now due for renewal and I've been sniffing about all over to get a good deal. BUT - absolutely no-one wants to offer me 6 months insurance. I've explained that I have a second car and I simply want the Zed insured for the summer months. It seems to be impossible!!
Mind you, the best I've been quoted for 12 months fully comp is £217.82 by Swiftcover though the policy cover is rather basic,
Anyway, can anyone tell me it its possible to get 6 months cover? When I was a lad it was dammed easy - they provided what the customer asked for - or has this all gone out of the window these days?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by johnjo »

For just over £200 is it not worth having 12 months insurance at least when it is parked up for the winter it is covered for fire or theft.
A friend of mine had his garage roof fall in good job his car was insured :P
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

johnjo wrote:For just over £200 is it not worth having 12 months insurance at least when it is parked up for the winter it is covered for fire or theft.
A friend of mine had his garage roof fall in good job his car was insured :P
Well, I was thinking that may well have to be the case. It also means I don't have to bother with piles of paperwork for SORN, insurance on/off etc etc.
Mind you, as I'm now forcibly 'retired' Janet will have to pay for it which is why I was trying for the cheapest I could possibly get.
It's pretty awful being a 'kept' man - not at all good for the soul.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z4 roadster 3.0si

Post by Zedona »

If you want to save money it's still worth SORN to save on the RFL. Keep it insured for unpredictable problems when in your garage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi

I believe from the !st
By law you have to have your car insured
Even if its off the road on a Sorn :head:

Ray
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

There is no requirement to insure a car if it is SORN'ed.

From 1st July, what you cannot have, is a taxed vehicle that is no longer insured, whether parked on the road or otherwise.

For example, if you were to buy another car privately and transfer the insurance to it, you must immediately SORN the old car and claim the tax back. which is a pain if you want to sell your old vehicle afterwards,

and also you have to take it (and park it) off the road.

If you want to keep it taxed, you would have to take out a second insurance on the old car.

so the following applies:

whether it's untaxed or uninsured, or both, it must be SORN'ed

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

Boysie wrote:Hi

I believe from the !st
By law you have to have your car insured
Even if its off the road on a Sorn :head:

Ray
REALLY!
What a f***ing racket. If it's SORNed then what has it to be insured against? Or is it yet another way just to get at motorists?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

gookah wrote:There is no requirement to insure a car if it is SORN'ed.

From 1st July, what you cannot have, is a taxed vehicle that is no longer insured, whether parked on the road or otherwise.

For example, if you were to buy another car privately and transfer the insurance to it, you must immediately SORN the old car and claim the tax back. which is a pain if you want to sell your old vehicle afterwards,

and also you have to take it (and park it) off the road.

If you want to keep it taxed, you would have to take out a second insurance on the old car.

so the following applies:

whether it's untaxed or uninsured, or both, it must be SORN'ed
Ah - that makes more sense.
But still, my original question - is it not possible to get 6 months insurance these days. Or is it as I suspect, simply insurance companies trying to screw as much as possible out of us. (I suppose I could cancel the insurance after six months, but I see most of them charge about £30 "admin fee"
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image