Time for a new car...

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
partybish

Z3 roadster 2.8

Time for a new car...

Post by partybish »

Hi all!!

Well, after the recent bout of good weather we've been having I've finally made the decision to get a Z3 and after lurking on the site for a little while and reading the huge amount of info on here :rtm: I think (subject to test driving both) I'm going to try and bag a silver 2.8 with a good spec and below average miles, although I'm really fussy about getting exactly the right one and I still can't decide whether it's worth spending the extra cash to get a facelift model - any opinions?

I have a few questions (which I couldn't find answers to using the search function!):

Does the pre-facelift share the same rear wings as the facelift, and has anyone ever converted the rear light clusters to facelift versions?

Does the Z3M have a different boot to the non-M models (it looks like it sits flush to the light clusters)?

Is it possible/common to get cruise control as an option on pre-facelifts?

Anyway, nice to finally introduce myself and I look forward to chatting with you all in the future! :)
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Re: Time for a new car...

Post by ///M_aniac »

partybish wrote:Hi all!!

Well, after the recent bout of good weather we've been having I've finally made the decision to get a Z3 and after lurking on the site for a little while and reading the huge amount of info on here :rtm: I think (subject to test driving both) I'm going to try and bag a silver 2.8 with a good spec and below average miles, although I'm really fussy about getting exactly the right one and I still can't decide whether it's worth spending the extra cash to get a facelift model - any opinions?

I have a few questions (which I couldn't find answers to using the search function!):

Does the pre-facelift share the same rear wings as the facelift,

No. Completely different.

and has anyone ever converted the rear light clusters to facelift versions?

Not that I have heard, no. Would need to change rear panels to house them and I dont know if that is possible.

Does the Z3M have a different boot to the non-M models (it looks like it sits flush to the light clusters)?

Don't know. Know that rear bumper is totally different due to exhaust sytem though, so it might be? Check realoem.com to find out if part number is the same

Possible yes. Common? Probably not. Cost option to spec on £200 -300ish.

Anyway, nice to finally introduce myself and I look forward to chatting with you all in the future! :)

HTH

Welcome to the forum!

Conor
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Re: Time for a new car...

Post by ChrisXL »

///M_aniac wrote:
partybish wrote:Hi all!!

Does the pre-facelift share the same rear wings as the facelift,

No. Completely different.

and has anyone ever converted the rear light clusters to facelift versions?

Not that I have heard, no. Would need to change rear panels to house them and I dont know if that is possible.

It is possible, the question is more "is it worth it?

Don't know. Know that rear bumper is totally different due to exhaust sytem though, so it might be? Check realoem.com to find out if part number is the same

It is completly different, just look where the numberplate sits.

Possible yes. Common? Probably not. Cost option to spec on £200 -300ish.

You should be able to find enough choice of pre facelifts with cruise control

Oh....... and welcome to the forum.
Good luck with the hunt for the Z.

Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
partybish

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by partybish »

Thanks for the replies guys.

After posting I checked realoem and realised the Z3M has the numberplate on the bootlip and there's an extra panel between that and the boot which makes it sit flush.

I think I'm going to compromise and get a pre-facelift with lower miles and fit some clear lenses to freshen it up a bit, not to say that I don't trust a high-miler, just that it seems to be the majority of peoples' misconception that low miles = better car and I want to keep the resale value as high as poss.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Good luck with the hunt.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
namatjira
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by namatjira »

Regarding the boot, an ///M does have a slightly smaller boot than a non M, that is partly by having the battery in the boot, having a different exhaust, and not having any spare tyre.

Boot space is also affected by the Harmon Khardon options and the CD Autochanger option.
Now with both the 411 bhp Supercharged Z3MR and a WRX STi Wagon getting a 3.4 litre transplant and an XKR with mods planned.

Fast is good, faster is better. Wheeeeee !!!