Newbie from Devon

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Newbie from Devon

Post by BATTERZEE »

After a lot of browsing this forum and searching numerous classifieds I have at last found a Z3 with the right spec and am due to view/pick-up on Friday morning. Hopefully if all goes well, I will be motoring back to Devon with a new toy. 8-)

This will be only my 2nd BMW. The first is my every day car, a 118d SE Auto 3 door in Titanium Silver.

Zroadster.net has been invaluable for gathering information and I am sure it will continue to help me maintain, customise and maybe improve my 'Z'.

This is my first, but don't think it will be my last post. :)

Thanks
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

Welcome Batterzee.

What's the spec on your new Zed?
Is it far away?

A.
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Alfie wrote:Welcome Batterzee.

What's the spec on your new Zed?
Is it far away?

A.
Its a 2001 3.0 Sport Auto, got a print-out from the local main dealer of the standard and optional items and the list is pretty long! Its a bit confusing though as some of the things listed as 'Ordered Options' look to me to be standard items. :puzzle:

I found the car through Pistonheads. It first sold before I could get to it, but then the seller contacted me when the buyer turned out to be a waster.
Car looks well in photo's and seems genuine, good SH, service invoices and MOT's verify mileage etc. Only reason I wont be bringing it home is if its not as described. Seller seems genuine and I don't think there will be any problems but you never know.

Its just over 200 miles away in the Midlands. Going up on Thursday afternoon and viewing Friday morning. It will be booked in to the Main Dealer next week for an AUC check that should give me a good idea of any problems, actual and imminent.

Will be wanting to get a Workshop Manual soon but it seems the only one available is the Bentley publication. Have searched the forum and it would seem the views on its worth are mixed. Cheapest price I have seen so far is £64 from Amazon, thats a lot of money if its not much use. If there is anyone who has a copy, their opinion would be very welcome.

Batters
Last edited by BATTERZEE on Tue 21 Jul, 2009 18:24, edited 1 time in total.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Batterzee, welcome to the forum and good luck with your purchase, I hope it turns out as good as it sounds.

The spec list can be confusing over standard / non standard as you say.

If your friendly with the main agent would be worth you also asking them to print out all warranty work carried on the car. This can be quite enlightening and give more detail as to mileages etc.... The print will include all warranty no mater which dealer carried it out. Unfortunately you can't get this for service work as each dealer can only print work done at their dealership.

Make sure you take a written check list of things to tick off from info on here (there is a thread somewhere if you do a search with a comprehensive checklist).Worth doing this as if you try and remember you will kick yourself over something later. Check all the normals (panel alignment, evidence of bad repairs,etc...) but there are some things particular to Z's which are either costly to repair or just time consuming (eg panel bulbs, wing mirror corrosion, etc......) So long as car is in a good enough condition for you, you can use some of these to barter on price.

Good luck, bet you can't wait and I hope you have some roof down weather for your trip back :wink:
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
BATTERZEE

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by BATTERZEE »

Thanks for the advise Jonttt.

The dealer did actually read out to me all warranty work done, not sure if he could or would print it though. I will ask when I go in for the AUC.

Will search for that check list, it would be really handy. :wink:

Now that would be a bonus if the weather picks up enough to go topless, mind you, if it were, the missus would likely fight for who was going to use the Z or the 118d :lol:
texasjohn

BMW other

Post by texasjohn »

Hi Batterzee,

Welcome to the forum!

I hope you are enjoying the Z3 and, while I didn't have it for very long before you bought it from me, if you have any questions about the car just shout.
550i Touring