Drivers mirror adjustment malfunction

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Drivers mirror adjustment malfunction

Post by Patty »

Asking for advice again :? the mirror adjustment mechanism does not work. To investigate the drive mechanism involves dismantling the mirror housing, has anyone undertaken this before, how do you go about it, what are the common faults related to this. I did not want to force the housing apart incase I break something.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Drivers mirror adjustment malfunction

Post by Brian H »

Patty,

Does the mirror adjustment switch move any of the mirrors or is it just one mirror you are having trouble with?

Brian
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Brian,
the near side mirror adjust fine its just the offside that does not respond to the switch.
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi Patty,

To investigate the motor mechanism you will have to remove the mirror glass, the mirror glass is held on to the motor mechanism with 4 clips. The clips are positioned (if you are looking at a clock face) between 1-2, 4-5, 7-8 & 10-11.
Below is a pic that show the motor mechanism for reference, the white hoops around the outside of the ring are for the clips on the mirror.

You will have to manually move the mirror glass to get behind to the clips, when moving the mirror you will hear the motor mechanism click, this is normal. I started with the lower bottom right hand side clip (when removing the off side mirror glass) and using something like a small flat bladed screwdriver or a lolly stick you can prise the clips off, this is a fiddely job, once the first one is off the others become easier.

With the mirror off there are 4 screws that hold the motor mechanism to the actual mirror.

Hope this makes sense!
Patty

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Patty »

Further to my problem with the driver side wing mirror not responding to internal controls. Following Brian H's instructions I removed the glass to expose the mechanism as shown in Brians pic, this appears to consist of a motor and a clutch, as I said the near side mirror works so I assume the internal switch unit is OK unless the wing mirror selector switch is faulty. When selecting up or down motion the clutch actuates but does not when selecting left or right, the motor makes no attempt to run. When the near side mirror is selected there is no sound of the near side clutch actuating but the driver side clutch actuates when selecting up or down. Does anyone know where the mirror mechanism or switch unit could be sourced? There are 4 wires going to the mechanism from the switch unit which I would have thought were motor forward, motor reverse, clutch energise and common any advice as to which is which?
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

PM Sent