Potential owner saying Hi!!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Wick

Not specified

Potential owner saying Hi!!

Post by Wick »

Hi All,

Lurked for a while and thought I'd say hello as I am considering a Z3 3.0i as my next car. I can't help but think it often gets overlooked in this price bracket despite being apparently a great all rounder.

Currently owner of a VX220 turbo but need something more practical to commute in and to put some serious pennies back into the bank for a house fund. I also have a 6cyl itch that needs scratching.

Great forum here, real good knowledge base and I've picked up loads. As far as I can tell they seem to be reliable, 35mpg is attainable, fairly swift, standard with LSD fitted, under £4k to purchase based on some on the current market and they have long service intervals. Sounds perfect for a 20K/year commute.

Obviously the usual rivals are on the list of Z4, TT, 350Z, S2000... but I think the Z3 ticks most of the boxes and makes the most financial sense.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Re: Potential owner saying Hi!!

Post by Z3cade »

Hi and welcome!

There's a member on here selling a 3.0 and wanting a vx220 iirc :?:

You could hit two birds with one stone :wink:

The 3.0 is a great choice
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Plus the fact that no other car in the price range has the looks of a Z3. :thumb:

Just do it!

Cheers, Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Wick

Not specified

Post by Wick »

Thanks for the welcome
Z3cade wrote:There's a member on here selling a 3.0 and wanting a vx220 iirc :?:
Spotted that :) Unfortunately more than I'd like to spend and my VX needs a service and MOT at the moment as it's be sorn'd for winter.

Realistically end of March start of April I will be in a position to sell and buy.
smc2402

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by smc2402 »

I'd say go for it ! I've had a lot of " 2nd " cars, and can honestly say my Z3 3.0i is the one I have liked the most, and there's been Porsches & Mercedes in the past .... the BMW is easy to maintain, cheap to insure, parts are more than reasonable and they look great !
magicmitch

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by magicmitch »

Hi ...don't hesitate to grab a 3.0, I have a 3.0 2002 sport model and its absolutely brilliant, but you won't get 35mpg in my experience. 30mpg is tops even on the motorway and you'll get 22 - 25 round town, but if your worried about mpg get a Prius!! Got mine a 3 years ago to celebrate my mid life crisis and have had no problems at all. I did a huge amount of reaearch and the 3.0 was the perfect car, loads of grunt, proper boot and because I'm an old fart only £350 a year fully comp. Sometimes I just start it up on the drive to hear that fantastic burble, to me its the perfect sports car!!!
Wick

Not specified

Post by Wick »

Thanks for the hello's!
magicmitch wrote:Hi ...don't hesitate to grab a 3.0, I have a 3.0 2002 sport model and its absolutely brilliant, but you won't get 35mpg in my experience. 30mpg is tops even on the motorway and you'll get 22 - 25 round town, but if your worried about mpg get a Prius!! Got mine a 3 years ago to celebrate my mid life crisis and have had no problems at all. I did a huge amount of reaearch and the 3.0 was the perfect car, loads of grunt, proper boot and because I'm an old fart only £350 a year fully comp. Sometimes I just start it up on the drive to hear that fantastic burble, to me its the perfect sports car!!!
Great insight, cheers! Shame about the possible mpg being lower than I thought, although some of that will be negated by the fact I understand they run on 95RON as opposed to my current car that's mapped for 98+. Unfortunately has to be a consideration with the mileage I'm doing... That said, no chance I'll be caught dead in a prius lol!
Olly2012

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Olly2012 »

Can't disagree with magicmitch. Bought our 52 plate 3 litre last June and it's a pure joy. When we visit my 86 year old mother in law she's straight out the house all weathers when we leave just to hear the Z fire up.

Agree with the consumption - you might get +30 on a trip if you sit at 55 and keep revs below 2.5k. As if...!

But it's cheaper RFL and insurance than the usual array of alternatives.

Enjoy the hunt.
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Just do it, you won't be sorry great cars :grin:

Sent from my HTC Desire
ImageImage