my shed money 2.8...

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Hamish88

Z3 roadster 2.8

my shed money 2.8...

Post by Hamish88 »

Hi all. After deliberating what car to get next.I decided there's not much to touch bmw engines aurally thats in my budget.
With all the good weather that we were having an convertible was what was needed.
So the search was on for a z3 that was under 2k.
The only proviso was that it had an electric roof and leather.

My goodness there are a lot of, shall we say unloved examples out there.
There wasnt much for sale in scotland but the ones I seen . All of them had the asc , abs , and airbag light on.
The airbag light I understand was an relatively easy fix but the abs and asc was a bit of an gamble . Could be easy , could be hard . So I kept looking.

I widened my search and it took me all the way down to stafford. The phone call revealed the roof was watertight, no lights on the dash was lit and the leather was in good condition.

So 5 hours later as my van was limited to 70mph. I found a hellrot red z3 2.8 with a leaky roof , a minor tear in the bolster and the airbag light on. Now for the money that was asked it wasnt too bad as it is nearly 15 years old and I didn't expect it in newish car condition.
It got a little bit worse as the lacquer on the front bumper was peeling a bit and someone previously added a push start button and it only fires up with a bit of help from the accelerator. The drivers window got stuck on the way up on the seal as it was peeling away from the frame. The passenger seat would go up, down and back but not forward.
I so wanted to walk but after 5 hours drive i gave it a chance and took it for a drive.
Well that drive ended up in glasgow . With a bit of bartering I got it for a few hundred quid under budget. The guy threw in another set of 18 inch alloys with brand new tyres for the winter. A real bmw cover . A belkin ipod stereo adapter and a bucket of autoglym product's. :D
Right with the car tucked up in the garage I went through the paperwork and found it has a remus exhaust which cost someone the thick end of 500 quid. No wonder it sounded awesome. It also has a full set of cobra suspension , that is I think why it rides soooo well.
There is also the original luggage rack in the boot which was a bit of a bonus.
Someone obviously spent a lot of money on her as the receipts are a couple of inches thick.
The tyres on it are continentals all round. Bingo. But I dont know if the wheels are genuine or not but they do look good and are in great condition with no kerbing. In fact it looks so good my neighbour is already asking for first dibs when I sell the car.

Anyhow what I want to ask is where can I get a seal for the driver side window.
How can I remove the seat if it doesnt go forward so I can get at the switch.

Other than that I sealed the rear window as it wasnt sealed properly when someone put in a new window.
The car ...well the noise is so addictive . It handles not bad , the ride is really comfy . It did 33 mpg all the way up from england.
It doesnt feel THAT fast though i can feel the torque and it pulls well from low revs but I think it needs a good service.
All in all I bought it as I think just the parts Someone paid more than what i paid for the car .
Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoy the pics Image

XVar

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: my shed money 2.8...

Post by XVar »

Looks like a bargain for under £2k, considering all that's been done to it already. It's the right colour too :D The M badge on a non-Z3M irks me, however.
1997 2.8 Z3 | Gallery Thread
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Car looks good for the money, with a bit of work you'll have a really nice Zed. I see there have been quite a few mods done already :) try moving the seat switch backwards and forwards a few times it sometimes releases the motor if the seat has'nt been moved for awhile, otherwise have a look at the knowledge base, I'm sure you'll find it very helpful :wink:
ImageImage
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

It's even got Roadstar wheels from an ///Ml, and are easily the nicest wheels for the Zed. But please take the ///M badge off the back!! :)
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hamish88 wrote:
Anyhow what I want to ask is where can I get a seal for the driver side window.
How can I remove the seat if it doesnt go forward so I can get at the switch.
Window Seal

I think it is Part 14 for the window seal, not too sure as I cannot see it anywhere else.

Door window lifting mechanism
BMW parts catalog

BMW Coopers is showing this at £31.31

BMW Cooper Online

A member Spurs fan in a coupe is breaking a Z at the moment, Maybe send him a PM and see if he has one to sell you?

Front seat

If you look at the front of the seat you will see the motor for moving the seat forward/backwards, raise the seat and feel underneath for the electrical motor connector, if you disconnect the connector you can put a temp 12vdc supply onto the motor to move the seat one way or another, a 12v cordless drill battery works well.

P.S. Welcome :wink:
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Love the M road stars :D needs 30mm lowering springs though
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Looks like a bit of a bargain - well done!
I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine.
Hamish88

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Hamish88 »

Thanks for the welcome guys.
Brian thats the exact part for the window I am looking for and thanks for the tip for the seat .
That m badge. Give it a few days cause there one round the front as well haha :D
spurs fan in a coupe

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by spurs fan in a coupe »

PM sent

we expres: " He did hear the bells ringing, but doesnt know where where the clapper hangs".
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

That wind blocker,is it OEM? It just doesn't look right on a red Z3! Let me take it off your hands for a modest sum!
Oh, and yes please, take that M badge off immediately, if not sooner !!!

Bonzo
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.