New Z3 2.8 Cosmos owner

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
RobGT4

blank

New Z3 2.8 Cosmos owner

Post by RobGT4 »

Evening all,

Just a quick post to say hi, i'm sure i'll be frequenting these forums a bit more having just bought not only my first BMW but also my first Z3, it's a 1999 Z3 2.8 in Cosmos Black with the tan leather and only 81k on it and most importantly (for me anyway) a hardtop for the winter

Here's a couple quick snaps,

I'd like to open with a bit of a query if possible to pick some brains... now basically I've tried to put the car on my drive and it's bottomed out, and not just a little bit either, I didn't think it looked that low but then I looked under the car and there seems to be some big metal struts underneath the car, lower than the level of the exhaust, there's also something called a 'strong strut' under the bonnet.

Now are these just standard items that I'd find on any 2.8? Or have these been added at a later date? The reason I ask is that I may wish to remove the ones underneath if possible to make the car a bit more practical, couple pictures...

Whilst i'm here aswell, are these likely to be the standard alloys, and can you spot anything else that's been 'modified' on the car? The woman I bought the car off has had the car for 7 years but didn't really know much about things that had been done by previous owners (such as the hardtop) so i'm just cluing myself up about what I've actually bought

Cheers, and thanks in advance for your replies
Last edited by RobGT4 on Wed 14 Aug, 2013 19:29, edited 1 time in total.
seasurfer

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: New Z3 2.8 Cosmos owner

Post by seasurfer »

Looks Stunning with the HT - welcome to the fold :D :drive
[/url]
ImageImageImage
Badman gee

M roadster S50

Post by Badman gee »

Nice car, the hardtop looks great on these cars

Can't understand why many others don't have them.

I prefer the look of the z3 with one, even more than the coupe.

The 'BEAST' 666
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Looks like you have a Butt Strut fitted.

Wheels are standard.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

Nice looking Z
Badman gee wrote:Nice car, the hardtop looks great on these cars

Can't understand why many others don't have them.

I prefer the look of the z3 with one, even more than the coupe.
So very true. I also prefer mine with the hardtop on.

But sssshh. Keep it quiet. There are those on here who think that you can only appreciate a Z with the wind in your hair. :wink:

Regards

Peter
RobGT4

blank

Post by RobGT4 »

Gazza wrote:Looks like you have a Butt Strut fitted.

Wheels are standard.
Butt Strut?

Is that a strut under the car?

Can anyone else confirm this, maybe with a picture of another 2.8 underneath?

It seems to have a bit more than just a bar across, it's connected to similar sized sections of metal that run the length of the car towards the front aswell as you can see from the first picture, is this all part of it?
stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

It's a butt strut for sure. Welcome to the forum from another 2.8 Devon owner :lol:
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Hi RobGT4

Welcome :)

Yes a butt Strut, both the strut brace under the bonnet and the but strut are aftermarket and definitely not standard. They are quite an expensive aftermarket part to put on the car, the link below shows you more info.

Strong Strut
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Yep it's a strong strut but strut. Not cheap and with the strong strut brace in the engine bay someone spent some £ and new a bit about Z3's as they have to be imported from the USA.

It's not unusual for people who fitted the but strut to later remove it due to clearance issues. I have one and they just bolt on so should be easy to remove. Ps it is heavy.

From the pics the car looks pretty standard but (and I cold be wrong here) as an early facelift ie pre the later 3 litre sport models, it would not have originally come with the sport wheels. They may have been available as an option at purchase but I'm not sure they were available until the sport version was released later. Likely they were added later as they are one of the favourite none ///M wheels and a popular upgrade to 17 inch.

Looks like a nice car, congrats
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
RobGT4

blank

Post by RobGT4 »

Ah great cheers for the link, looks like it might be a body brace when I look at that? and Blimin heck!! $425!!!!

That's crazy.

Might have to think about whether I want to take it off or not now, looks like it's been on the car a long long time, it's definitely been owned by an 'enthusiast' at some point in the past even though it's only on its 3rd owner
Batchem1

M roadster S50

Post by Batchem1 »

Welcome from another West Country Z3 owner.
Yours looks like a good 'un - I've always liked the combination of a dark exterior colour with a lighter interior.
Have fun with yours!
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

Welcome from another first time Zed, first time BMW owner. :) Very clean looking car and I love the black/tan combination!
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Lovely looking zed there!

Ref the butt strut and the one under the bonnet, you would generally have to declare this to the insurance co, so if you're removing do it sharpish!
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

Welcome from me too. Good looking Zed you have.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Eastsix wrote:Lovely looking zed there!

Ref the butt strut and the one under the bonnet, you would generally have to declare this to the insurance co, so if you're removing do it sharpish!
Only if you know it's been added. How would you know if your car had been rebored or remapped by a previous owner if ther was nompaperwork to show it. You can only declare mods to the best of our knowledge. Eg a Z4 has some bracing in the engine bay OEM. :?: :?: :?:

Some people get too paranoid about insurance IMHO
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Welcome from another cosmos black owner, they do look good with the hardtops on. You have a great looking car, enjoy !!
Eastsix

Not specified

Post by Eastsix »

Jonttt wrote:
Eastsix wrote:Lovely looking zed there!

Only if you know it's been added. How would you know if your car had been rebored or remapped by a previous owner if ther was nompaperwork to show it. You can only declare mods to the best of our knowledge. Eg a Z4 has some bracing in the engine bay OEM. :?: :?: :?:

Some people get too paranoid about insurance IMHO

Well, given the OP said he was looking to remove the butt strut, it cant do any harm to bear in mind its is something Insurance would require to be declared as a gee up to get it done asap. But he says he has a strong strut under the bonnet. I think it would be pretty hard to argue to an insurance co that you hadnt noticed that bad boy!
As for paranoia - apart from the fact that I would always be entirely honest anyway, I'm not sure its paranoia to assume insurance co's would always look for an excuse not to pay up! Thankfully I've never had to make a claim on any kind insurance policy, but on the zed I declared everything down to 'internal and external decorative changes.'
2.8 sadly departed, currently between zeds.....
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I recently explained to my car insurance company that I had fitted a front strut brace and what it was for and they said it was fine & made no difference to the premium but they just stressed that the strut brace itself was (as a non OE fitment) not insured so if damaged in an accident would not be repaired/replaced on the insurance. :lol:
RobGT4

blank

Post by RobGT4 »

Call me naive, but when I looked under the bonnet on purchasing the car I thought the 'strong strut' may have been a standard performance BMW item, a bit like AMG I guess, it's certainly in-keeping with the rest of the engine bay in terms of design and colour.

The brace underneath the car just looks like part of the chassis aswell as you can in the pictures, it's only because I've had numerous cars in the past with modified parts that I've sought advice and research to clarify, the previous woman owner that's had it for 7 years didn't have a clue!

The wheels and tyres are also 16" 225's, so I guess can't be the sport versions, are they standard or from another BMW?

I've also got one or 2 drips of rain a day landing on the drivers seat through the hardtop in torrential rain, anyone got any decent links or advice on what I can do to prevent it?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome from the south side...and the "butt strut" you have fitted is non standard, very expensive and not only do you have the cross brace, but from the pic you posted, you also have the struts which run from the rear butt strut to the front and connect up to the chassis...this is an excellent brace for the car, and I have no doubt that the "bottoming out" is largely caused by the braces which run from the rear to the front. They look like two strips of "angle-iron" with the point of the "V" pointing downwards...this accounts for around 30mm+ of clearance being lost, but the butt strut and braces stiffen up the "twist" in the chassis of a roadster when cornering. If you remove them and clean them up well etc...and post a for sale on the forum here, you should realise at least £150+ for the set-up.
Anyhow, it will allow the extra clearance you obviously need to get up your driveway... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
RobGT4

blank

Post by RobGT4 »

Thanks for the advice Southernboy, it's definitely got the 'v' shaped bars pointing down to the floor running to the front, I'm debating whether to sell it all or keep it on the car, will it just go to jelly without it?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

They are great to have fitted if your driving includes weekend track meetings...if like most members, your car is simply a source of pleasure and "normal" driving...then remove them. The difference is not so perceptible that you will feel insecure in any way. It is noticeable when driving hard through corners and over very bumpy roads...the rear of the car tends to "bounce" a little through the corners...but nothing really dangerous. BMW are good solid cars, and under normal conditions you're very safe without the under-car struts....the choice is remove them or alter your driveway to suit... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

RobGT4

blank

Post by RobGT4 »

Yep fair do's, I've got no intention of tracking it, it's just a top-down posing evening and weekend car really so may well be worth removing it and being able to put it on the drive (assuming I can without it on there of course)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The set-up you have fitted under the car is def saleable at around £.250 - £.300...complete...cleaned up and given a coat of black paint...so you might have a few bob to alter the drive entrance... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Sell it to the coupe guys are more of them are track cars ;-)

I've never fitted the but strut on my car after it was removed by a PO due to clearance issues and have never even been tempted to fit it.