Stone guards

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Stone guards

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi, firstly may I say hello! I'm new to the forum as I have recently purchased my first Z3. It's a 98 2.8 in Montreal Blue. It has a couple of light mods but being 41 feel I'm a little past dropping it 60mm!!
I'll put a photo on when I get it back, it is currently having a full strip down respray.
I'm really looking forward to meeting some of you at meets and on cruises next spring/summer.
And now the question. Is it possible to get clear stone guards? I like the idea of them but I'm not so keen on the coloured ones?
Thanks
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: Stone guards

Post by johnz3 »

Hi. I dont think it is possible to get cleat ones but they are easy to spray. I have sprayed mine both matt black and artic silver.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Hi Dave first of all welcome to the forums. If you don't fancy spraying up some stone guards you could buy some 3m clear vinyl and stick that on. There's plenty of the stuff on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/3m-clear-vinyl Another option to consider is a clear wrap which I would think about if I got my front bumper sprayed again. If you require a stone guard template PM me your addy and ill post one out to you.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome Dave....I'll be interested in your final choice of stoneguards. I do like the ones that have been on the forum, but have noticed that the under-body sill takes some sandblastind on the curve just in front of the rear wheel arch. If you're looking to preserve the paint job, it may be advisable to "extend" the protection to that area too. I would concur that a clear stick on "wrap" might be your most practical option. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi and thanks for the replies. Your quite right Southernboy that it's to preserve the new paint. It's taken a lot of hard work and saving to get to this point and I don't want the dreaded stone chip to wreak it before I've started. I think I'm going to go with the clear wrap and extend it like you advise to the underside of the sill. I have bought a bra for the bonnet although I see there not to everyone's taste but at £15 plus postage from a firm in Germany I thought it daft not to as I'm taking it to France next summer and will click up 1500 miles in two weeks so again a high chance of stone chip damage. Another user has kindly offered me a template for the rear arch so I'll get in touch with him to sort that out.
Thanks again for everyone's help
Dave

Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Welcome Dave, seems like our Z's are twins. Montreal Blue is a super cool colour, especially in bright sunshine, and the tan leather, so classic! (imho) :)

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi bonzo. Indeed it does! I to love the colour combo so when we, (me and the good lady) were looking we agreed it had to be that colour combo with the 2.8 lump. As you'll have seen from my first post my cars in the body shop having a total strip down respray, I was told two weeks, were now at the end of five and I've just called in to discover its been stripped down and that's it, they not even started the prep yet! Not a happy bunny!!!
A big thank you to Althulas (mark) for sending me out the stone guard template. It's nice to know theres decent folk on here who are prepared to go the extra mile.
Thanks again.

Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

Dave your lucky, my indy has had my car since mid June and I'm still waiting for him to get the head back on but he has been flat out with his normal workday stuff without my own project.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Oh no mate that's rubbish! I'd be in tears! I suppose if its a mate doing mates rates you'll have to persevere. That's the problem I have, he's not a mate as such but an ex work associate so I suppose I need a little more patience!