New member, old Z3!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Deanohoff

Z3 roadster 2.0

New member, old Z3!

Post by Deanohoff »

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum. I've had a BMW Z3 for 8 years I bought it when I was 18 used it for a couple of years then I also bought a Ford Kuga in 08. The Zed was off the road for 18 months until I let my mother use (mainly abuse) it for a while. In the mean time I've not needed a car as I've been using a company car for 3 years.

The car hasn't been driven or started or mot'd or serviced for 3 years. I've decided to try and resurrect it. I drove the thing 5 miles and it cut out twice, has the power of a 1.0 corsa and won't rev over 3,000 revs. It also has a massive flat spot when I boot it and has had more hits than Kylie.

Safe to say I'm not proud of how it's been treated over the past couple of years.

BMW Z3
Cosmos Edition
Cosmos Black with Caramel and Black heated leather seats
106,000 miles

I'm driving the vehicle from my house to the dealership I work at this evening, I'll take some photos of it in its current condition.

Deano
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: New member, old Z3!

Post by Cloz »

Hi Deano,
Welcom from Canada. Happy zedding :drive
Deanohoff

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Deanohoff »

Thanks Cloz, I can tell you it's not happy zedding at the moment but hopefully it will be soon!
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi, you do realise abusing a Zed carries a minimum of 3 years inside! Good luck getting it sorted, sounds like the plugs could be failing, change plugs leads etc and get a decent service on it for starters. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Deanohoff

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Deanohoff »

I think it feels more like a blocked cat, I've 'acquired' a set of NGK plugs from work so I'll get those fitted anyway as the current plugs I haven't changed in over 5 years.
Mac The Tank

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Mac The Tank »

Did it run fine before going into "hibernation"?
Maybe something crawled into the exhaust/air filter box?

Is the engine management light on? Do you have access to a code reader?
Mac
Topaz Blue 2.2i Y2001 - only 16045 miles on the clock! (2011)
Update 04/14 - 18,702 miles
DC

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by DC »

Could be simply old petrol.
Dave. 1998 Arctic Silver Z3 M44 1.9 Automatic
Deanohoff

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Deanohoff »

it was running fine before I abandoned it. I'm an ex technician so I have a diagnostic machine available but it's never brought an EML on so I'm not sure if they'll be any codes stored.

Could be DC but I did have to stick a bit of fuel in it as it was almost empty when I first started it.

I'm getting it on a ramp on Sunday and I'm going to Service it with bmw parts and then see where I go from there. I'll spend £200 to get it running right, if I can't get it sorted for that I'll break it for parts or sell it as a non runner.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Can you give us some more info re. engine size cc etc. then maybe you've a better chance of someone being able to help. If it's a 6 cyl or 4 cyl different things can be happening. Cheers,Tony.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
Deanohoff

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by Deanohoff »

Tony, it's a 2.0 6 cylinder. I'll be able to have a more in depth look once I get it in the workshop Sunday.

At the moment it sounds very boggy, it won't rev very high and won't idle, it keeps cutting out. It's making me think fuel or air. First job is to check there isn't a blockage or split pipe on the inlet side of things, then I'll check the vehicle is fueling correctly. I don't 'think' it's anything major, engine wise.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

I think you are on the right track looking at the induction pipes and hoses, also check that you don't have a mouses nest in your air Filter box. I had this once with a Talbot Solara which had stood for quite a while and the little B...... S had filled air inlet with hemp from across the other side of the garage. I gave them grudging respect, they must have been very, very ,busy.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"