hi, new to the site

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

hi, new to the site

Post by paganbronze »

we have upgraded from our 1.9 atlantic blue to a cosmos black 2.8 and are lovin it
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: hi, new to the site

Post by t-tony »

Glad you are liking it. Where abouts are you in the UK?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

Cosmos Black 2.8 sounds like my Zelda lovely engine enjoy :) pictures please :roll:
Bazza (East Dorset)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi and congrats. The 1.9 is a punchy little engine but the 6 cylinder is a great lump and I've never driven anything with so much low down torque. Enjoy, I'm sure you will. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

s cambs

paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

with the other half It's hers really
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

could you guys tell me, should there be an undertray between the bumper and engine? it's had a knock at the front and a bad repair, think I've sourced a bumper but not the undertray....if it has one
bazza1966

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by bazza1966 »

That's a beauty and the cars looks good as well :lol: I don't have any under tray on mine so at a guess they don't have one :?:
Bazza (East Dorset)
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I think the undertray is needed. It certainly channels air through to the sump via the intake below the bumper, which will provide cooling to the engine as well as the exhaust manifold. When I bought my current 3.0, I noticed it didn't have one fitted. I also noticed I had what I thought was a hot gearbox... this via the gearknob which tended to get very warm. I fitted the tray, and now the excess heat is no longer filtering into the gearbox. I put this down to the tray channelling cool air past the exhaust manifold and cooling it sufficiently so it doesn't soak up into the gearbox area. The tray has a purpose and I doubt it's to keep water from spalshing up onto the underside of the motor, and since it's fitting is so specific with rubber flaps which house up and behind the radiator, it has to be primarily an air ducting aparatus.
I'm don't imagine it will do any harm not having one, but it's an inexpensive item, and may as well be there as not.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

thanks chaps, now I know it's supposed to have one, where do I get one or do I remortgage the children and get an OEM one?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Your local breakers / eBay / Gumtree or BMW.
But here's a small and very useful tip...
log onto:- realoem.com - then, at the top left where it says "serial number".. enter the last 7 digits of your VIN number and press "enter"... you will see a basic description of your car / model / year of manufacture etc...
At the bottom, click on "Browse Parts".... a menu opens and you can select the aspect of the part you are looking for... in this instance "Vehicle Trim".... when that opens, scroll down until you see the pic of the relative item you are interested in and click on that - it will open a larger drawing of the components, and also a list of the OEM part numbers below the drawing.
From there you will be able to ensure that the part you buy, is the correct part for your car. Ie. you can get it from a breakers and ask which model car it came off and if it hs a part number on the part...and you can ensure you're getting what you want.

PS. before you go shopping, have a careful look at the adjacent parts on realoem.... the tray requires attaching to a left and right side as well as the front under the bumper... once you have looked there, get under the car and see what you have fitted already to which the tray must attach... then go shopping.. :wave

There are any number of suggestions of where to source parts... Quarry Motors seem to be quite resourceful as is Alexanders of Somerset, but a quick search on eBay will probably get you where you want to go... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

Thanks SB, you seem to be the man with the knowledge, same sources for a backbox?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Yep.... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

rear exhaust sections are 10 a penny for a 1.9 but the proverbial rocking horse for a 2.8, will one from E36 2.8 fit do you know?
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

If you look up the part number on realoem for your car, then enter that part number in the search box above where you would enter your VIN number and press enter, it will tell you all the BMW models that share that part... if you find the e36 there, then yes it will apply and can be used... you may also be surprised that a few other optional BMW's may share the same part and you can go looking for that too...
"Normal is overrated"

paganbronze

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by paganbronze »

thanks SB, lucked out there unfortunately
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Try calling Shaun Alexander at Alexanders of Somerset... I'll wager he has one, or knows where to source one...
"Normal is overrated"