And about time, too.

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
the Nefyn cat

Z3 roadster 2.2i

And about time, too.

Post by the Nefyn cat »

I've been lurking about, peeping at this site for quite a while now, and thought it was time to say hello. Hello. There, that's that done.
Bought my Z3 last year, and been very happy ever since, with the car at least. It's yet another 2.2, Topaz because that's the prettiest colour, and the only drawback to it so far is the appetite for oil. Looking around here and there this seems to be a common-ish problem, one that may take some serious work to sort. Oh well, it's my fourth BMW and the first to have this kind of problem. Still, the weather's been just right for a soft-top, will get on with enjoying it while the sun shines.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: And about time, too.

Post by Southernboy »

I'm very surprised that you mention oil consumption... I have never ever had to "top up" any straight six with oil... My '97 2.8 which had slightly more than 220,000 kms when I sold it never consumed any oil. If you have any leaks then I can understand it may "use" oil.. but for it to be burning oil suggests you may want to replace the piston oil rings at least..... quite a task but not a major if you're fairly good at mechanics and have the tools and space.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
the Nefyn cat

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by the Nefyn cat »

Came as a surprise to me, used to have a 2.8 e36 with around 240000 miles on it when I sold it and that never used a drop. From what I can make out from browsing the interweb it seems to be caused by too much gentle driving whilst fairly new, the oil control rings get gummed-up, and the oil consumption goes right up. I've cleaned out the ventilation pipes, changed the ccvv, and no improvement, so it may eventually be top and bottom off and have a look. Not too hard a job, but a pain in somewhere best not mentioned here. Shame I stopped working as a mechanic, really, just not got the facilities anymore.
Apart from that, this is a great car, just have to keep topping it up.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Welcome to the forum and trust you enjoy the Z. :) At the other end of the scale, your oil consumption might be something relatively simple like the crank case breather valve which if faulty, can sometimes not relieve the build up combustion (blow-by) gas pressure in a hot engine resulting in oil being forced back through seals into the combustion process. As Southernboy says, this generation of BMW engine was bullet-proof and known for their longevity even with some servicing neglect. EDIT Posted this the same time as your post above so ignore the CCV suggestion :D