Help / Advice needed

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Grazza

M roadster S50

Help / Advice needed

Post by Grazza »

Hi, recently saw an Estoril Blue Z3M Roadster and it reminded me how much I loved / lusted after this car when it first came out. So much so I have decided it's time for a mid life crisis and I have to have one!

I've spent the last few weeks avidly reading this forum and any other info I can find and I am now in the position of a little knowledge which, as we all know, can be a dangerous thing, so I am hoping I can get some advice.

Bit of context about me. This will not be my only car (I have kids) so I will probably drive it to and from work during the week (circa 8000 miles p.a.). I have a garage I can keep it in when not in use. Not neccessarily looking for an investment but I've told my wife it won't lose money so would prefer not to buy a money pit! Strong preference for Estoril Blue - no offence meant to those with other colours, it's just the one I remember.

My questions are
1. I don't have a lot of experience driving fast powerful cars, just how hairy is an S50 and is it worth retrofitting traction control (I know the S54 has it but they appear to be rare / expensive!)?
2. Prices seem to vary significantly and I am struggling to get a handle on what drives this. Given I want to drive it, am I wasting money buying a low mileage example and are there any points from a mileage perspective where something expensive needs to be done?
3. Have I missed the boat this year as the summer is over, or do they come up for sale all the time?
4. Aside from some limited car maintenance 20 years ago I don't know a huge amount about cars. Given the issues I have read about re Vanos, boot floor etc. is an inspection by RAC / AA worthwhile or does it need to be someone that knows Z3M's specifically?
5. I like the idea of a hard top as I imagine it extends the timeframe for use, or, given the power, is it unadvisable to take it out when the weather would necessitate the top?

Thanks in advance for all assistance given and if there is anything else I should think about please feel free to add.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Re: Help / Advice needed

Post by Thesurveyor »

The S50 is perfectly well house trained and will happily pootle around at low revs (up to about 3.5K) without alarming you or your passenger. Its the wave of power over 4k up to 7ish that is likely to invlove an unplanned visit to the scenery on a greasy road, especially if you don't have the wheels straight when you accelerate. (Mind you my worst scare in a Z was fishtailing in my 2.8 not the M). All rear wheel drive BMWs are apparently poor in ice and snow without winter tyres so you might consider those a wise purchase, but I'd be more concerned about my investment rusting in the salt if the conditions are that bad.
The hard top is well worth it. Its much quieter and warmer and you can hear the radio. Then if you want, it takes just 5 mintues to be a convertible again. Best of both worlds and I think the M looks great with the matching top on.

A dozen people will tell you to buy on condition and not mileage so do that. Boot welding need not be too expensive if caught early and if its really bad you will not miss it, since the floor practically falls out (and you already know to look for it). Vanos sounds bad if its misbehaving, a kind of whirr like a hand held electric food mixer in the bottom of an empty Tuppaware bowl.

I've sepnt loads and done a whole host of minor bits and pieces on mine in four months but as yet I don't think I have paid an "M premium" on anything because so many parts are common to the other Zs.

Price....is variable but originality, history and low miles are evreything to those that pay silly money and since most are less than perfect in these regards after 16 years so they make up the bulk of the £5,500 to £8,500 cars you see advertised.
Thesurveyor

M roadster S50

Post by Thesurveyor »

Just to persuade what a good idea an estoril blue M with a hard top is...........and everyone loves a picture don't they?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

I think the surveyor has pretty much summed everything up - my hairest back end moment was when I pulled out of the car wash place after they had given the tyres a coat of that black trim paint stuff !!! Beyond that just common sense as mentioned above.

There have been a few up in the last 12 months and a good condition one is usually around £5-6k. They do go higher for the pristine versions but it's nice to have a few little touch ups to do in my opinion and to put it into context, these cars need to be driven so buying a showroom one with 2000 miles on the clock is pointless in my opinion. vanos and boot welds as described above.

Finally re the "missed the boat", not really, you've obviously missed the best of the weather but they do come up all the time. Hardtops not as often but keep your eyes open and you will get one. I have one and it looks amazing when on (I think)

Enjoy
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal