Newbie Alert!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Zed-dan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Newbie Alert!

Post by Zed-dan »

Hello all :)

I've just made the best purchase of my life... A lovely, '00 Z3 3.0 in Topaz Blue and I love her to bits already. Bought her off a fellow forum member and I was impressed with how friendly and helpful he was :) Loved the 200ish mile drive home and loved it even more after going for a cruise over the Brecon beacons yesterday :squeeze: However She has been pampered and NEVER driven in the rain before and unfortunately Wales being what it is, it's tipping down and my soft top has developed a slow drip from where the leading edge of the window meets the join between the soft top and the windscreen.... Advice/Help please??
Not all those who wander are lost...

'00 3.0i /Custom painted Side Gills/Style 78's
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Newbie Alert!

Post by Bowler »

Welcome to the world of happy motoring
Had similar problem with mine, that unfortunately sleeps outside, as a 16 year old convertible some leakage goes with the joys of owning a soft top.
One product made a massive difference Gummi-Fit by Wurth and now only get a drip when washing.
Its like using a shoe cleaner with a foam pad attached, it is silicone based and not sure if available in the UK so need to probably get of E Bay. Easy to use and i for one very pleased with results.
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Woody1000

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Woody1000 »

Welcome to the forum and you have picked up a cracking car being a 3.0 not that I'm bias at all !!
Gummi pledge helps soften the rubber seals as them become harder over time and making the rubber more supple may help to better seal against the window. You can get it off ebay

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Zed-dan

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Zed-dan »

She is a beaut :twisted:

Thanks Guys, I'll have a little look. also thinking of proofing the soft top with some auto-glym.. might help eh?
Not all those who wander are lost...

'00 3.0i /Custom painted Side Gills/Style 78's
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Always worth looking after the top, not sure proofing will help with the leak
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

This link might help.

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 12#p345112

From my own experiences I would guess that the most likely problem is the rubber "stoppers" at the top of the windscreen pillars - the leak caused by them tends to run along the side window a bit and drip onto the side of the seat.
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

As Del has said, quite possibility the rubber grommits at the top of the pillars. Drop the roof down, push the grommits in about 1/4 inch on both sides and fill with clear silicone. Smooth it off for aesthetic purposes and allow to dry properly. Did this with mine and they've never leaked since. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"