Newbie with a Z3!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
woodybeefcake

Z3 roadster 1.9

Newbie with a Z3!

Post by woodybeefcake »

Good evening all,

Just picked up a Z3, 1.9i, for what I consider to be a very good price!

I originally went looking for another MX-5 MK1 or 2, but soon got fed up with the fact that genuine, decent solid cars are becoming hard to find!

Anyway, I spotted this on eBay, had a bid and won.

The car seems well spec'd (though I'm sure you will all tell me it isn't - lol), with electric seats, heated seats, cream leather and so on. It has spent a lot of its life abroad and thus has had a re-spray, I think because of sun damage, which means there is hardly a mark on it.

It is lacking some history and so far I suspect it needs a vacuum hose or pump, tracking and airbag sensor as well as a few other silly little things.

Plans for it are to get the niggles it sorted first, and then look at restoring parts of the interior and hopefully finding the money for some upgraded wheels - please suggest some OEM+ for this colour!

Also, does anyone know where I can get a standard head unit cheap? I HATE the aftermarket alpine (DVD-NAV strange thing), which I am happy to sell if anyone wants to make me an offer? Standard one needs to be compatible with six disc changer in the boot?

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Newbie with a Z3!

Post by Del »

Hi and welcome from another 1.9 owner. Your bodywork and paint finish does look good in the photos :) The seats are electrically operated in standard format but the heated seats are an optional extra and worth having in the winter when leather can feel a bit cold first thing in the morning :)
akirk

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by akirk »

Lovely purchase and great to get it at a good price - should be hours of fun there...

Alasdair
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Airbag sensor? Is the light on?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Hi, the right choice! MX-5? What's an MX-5?? Enjoy your zed! :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
woodybeefcake

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by woodybeefcake »

Thanks for the kind replies guys!

Yeah, the light is on, I have a new sensor which was included in the sale, that will need to be fitted before the next MOT (due in march I think).

The brake pad wear light is also on, however the pads all look pretty new (though it will need discs too at the next change), so I'm assuming there are no wear sensors fitted to the car!
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Are you sure it is the sensor then that is faulty...? Do you know which one it is saying is faulty drivers side or passenger side?

Basically, the airbag light is a very common problem. The wire from under the carpet and seat comes up round the back of the set and onto the pre-tensioner where the seat belt attaches. Unfortunately the wires come loose and often get mangled with the seats. I would get someone with a diag tool to check which one first and then remove the seat and test the wiring. Once the issue has been found you need an airbag reset tool to turn the light off. These are cheap on ebay but there are plenty of people who have one. Where are you based?
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
woodybeefcake

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by woodybeefcake »

I am in Liverpool and Warrington (car is currently in Warrington).

I work in a dealership, though am not a mechanic. I do like to tackle as much as I can myself, however, the tech's usually help em out where they can, I'm sure one of them may have a reset tool?

I am not sure which sear it is, however, the seat belt on the drivers side sometimes doesn't retract, so maybe it is that seat that is faulty?
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

it is usually the drivers seat that is the issue with moving the seats back and forth (the retraction probably has nothing to do with it).

See if your dealership has one and then take out the drives seat and check the wires for damage.
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
woodybeefcake

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by woodybeefcake »

Will do buddy, thanks for your help! It is in there for a few days getting a health check and then hopefully a touch up on the rear bumper where there is a nasty scrape!

Thanks for the help / info!

A pic I took yesterday!

The A-class is mine too! 2.0 diesel sport with 7 speed auto (flappy paddle)!