Hello from California

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
meridianZ

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Hello from California

Post by meridianZ »

Hello everyone

I like what I've seen here and decided to sign up.
I wanted to introduce my self real quick and put up a quick picture of my
new/old Z3 roadster.

This is my second Roadster, My first was brand new back in 2001
which was an Automatic in Sienna Red over Tan Leather with
only 500 delivery miles on it.

Once it hit 50,000 miles I wound up trading it in for a new 2003 Mini Cooper.
and owed almost nothing on the mini with the Z3 trade in as it was in excellent
condition and had a hard top and other extras.

While the experience of the mini was fun and better suited to having my Son
with my at the time it to was sold and I eventually found my self in an e30
that only made me miss my Z3 even more.

I've missed my original for many years and was very fortunate to
be able to get back into a Z3.

My latest acquisition is a 2001 Manual in Atlanta Blue over Black Leather.
It was a one owner and had 49,000 miles when we got it.

Its in decent shape and has had the following items already taken care of.
Thermostat, water pump, valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket, oil filter housing gasket
and the hydraulic belt tensioner upgrade.

I also got 3 year warranty included which doesn't cover everything but it will
help with some major items that can come up.
In fact it did recently cover the replacement of the drive shaft u joint/guibo a set
of new rear shocks and a new radiator.

Like any used car its always going to be a work in progress to some extent
but I hope to be able to hang on to this one.

Currently I'm having some Powerflex subframe bushings installed so once I get it back
from the shop I'll take some decent pictures and post them 8-)

I look forward to participating on these forums and hope you will welcome
me and my Z from across the pond.

MeridianZ
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Hello from California

Post by Davejue1 »

:wave Hello and welcome to the forum. Your quite right, it's a nice friendly forum with a good handful of knowledgable folk to help out should your require it. Look forward to seeing the pics. :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi & welcome
We hear stories here in the UK that Californian cars never get rust problems but sometimes suffer UV problems. Here in the UK we never experience the latter :D and spend most of our time worrying about the former :D
TR4man

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by TR4man »

I'd guess that leaking roofs and eeking out the last mpg are not too much of an issue in California, so you're more than welcome by me :)
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

TR4man wrote:I'd guess that leaking roofs and eeking out the last mpg are not too much of an issue in California, so you're more than welcome by me :)
Oh bloody hell he's off again!! :D

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"
meridianZ

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by meridianZ »

Thank you for the welcome 8-)

Here is the original like to it on ebay although I didn't buy it on eBay I just found it there and got it direct form the dealer where we actually got our e92 a few years back.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5i-Manual-Con ... 7675.l2557

As far as UV it did have a couple badges that were sun bleached and one headlight that was to foggy to restore but the dealership fixed that prior to my getting it.

Over all it seemed the previous owner had it garaged at night and out side during the day.

Part of the reason I got it was the underside and engine bay are very clean, and mechanically everything was far more intact than the other 10 different Zs
I looked at before getting this one. Over all it seemed well cared for and was a one owner car.

The paint is decent and shines up well but when you get close to it, you can notice it has some bird dropping damage on the hood and the doors have a
number of dings in them but that stuff is easier to work out and I'll eventually get the hood and doors repainted along with touching up a few nicks.

As for Roof leaks well it doesn't leak until you open the doors :lol: ( so we will have things to talk about because of design issues alone :lol: )

I can drive out of the garage and nothing gets in until a door is opened and then it sort of has a vacuum effect and lets some of the seals start to weep.
But I don't plan on driving it in the rain unless I really need to ( our e92 is much more rain friendly than the Z )

Eventually it will need a new Top and I'll wind-up replacing all the seals at that point unless... I find (and can afford) a carbonfiber Hamann top 8-)
maybe someday :roll:

MPG its a 2.5i and it is stock so that all depends on how I drive, but even with my heavy foot it does get better MPG than our e92 around town.
On the Freeway, not so much.
The e92 has a far more economical transmission (and more comfortable seats) for freeway and high speed distance driving so the Z typically stays
closer to home and is better for the tight city streets.

But best of all it had no Deadly Spiders in it :lol:
Many of the other cars I looked at were actually left out side and not cleaned enough and were infested with Black Widow Spiders :shock:

FYI: Buying a Car in California or any South West state here in the USA, one must look for those thick webs on cars that sit to long
damned little buggers always looking for a free ride.

I haven't really changed much yet but have covered the wood inside with Carbonfiber and I did a tinted dark and medium treatment on the lights.
I need to change my Photobucket to my work email and open a new photobucket account for my personal and car pics so once I get it back
from the shop give it a good cleaning and take pictures to post new and better pics 8-)

All in all I'm just really really glad to be back in a Zed because driving everything else just doesn't feel as good.

Though the e92 is a close second but you have to be doing close to 100mph for that to feel good and the Z I can
enjoy more at lower speeds and not risk getting a ticket quite as much :D

Thank you again for the welcome
meridanZ
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Interesting to see a 2.5 engine. We didn't get that one (in a Z3) in the UK - we had 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0 and the Euro M 3.2.
Cloz

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Cloz »

Welcome MeridianZ from above :D
Happy wedding.......again.

C
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

meridianZ wrote: As for Roof leaks well it doesn't leak until you open the doors :lol: ( so we will have things to talk about because of design issues alone :lol: )

Not as bad as the German counterparts at Audi - the design on my A5 is shocking for common sense things like this. Open the door to get out when the car is wet and you end up with a puddle drenching your leg..

Car looks good - will be great when you get round to fixing the steering wheel and putting it on the right side :D

Welcome to the fun
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
meridianZ

Z3 roadster 2.5i

Post by meridianZ »

Del wrote:Interesting to see a 2.5 engine. We didn't get that one (in a Z3) in the UK - we had 1.9, 2.0, 2.2, 2.8, 3.0 and the Euro M 3.2.
It is the M54 engine and while not as powerful as the 3.0 for that year it suits me just fine as my foot is a bit heavy on the throttle anyway :wink:
bertiejaffa wrote:
Car looks good - will be great when you get round to fixing the steering wheel and putting it on the right side :D

Welcome to the fun
Thank you and I knew something was wrong with it :lol: though I don't think I'd get used to shifting with my left that easily.

However I may eventually switch out my American Spec Glove box to a euro spec one for a cleaner interior so that's a start :D