Hello folks

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Hello folks

Post by HomerRamone »

Thought id post a quick hello.

Bought myself a Z3 recently. I was getting a little bored of driving a VW Bora to work and saw a Z3 that had been converted to gas. Decided it would be rude not to.. esp since with LPG the effective MPG is around 48 - which is just shy of the 50 I was getting from the Bora.. I also recently saw a kit that replaces a chunk of the bodywork and leaves you with a Z3 that looks like an AC Cobra. Having always wanted a cobra, but realising they are surely somewhat impractical (that and the fact I dont have a pot of cash to buy one :) ) I though this sounded like a happy medium.

So my shiny new (well new to me) Is a 1999 Z3 2.8. Seems pretty decent so far, though only had it a few days. Got a few niggles here and there - passenger door lock dont open with the remove, dash clock was busted (though I found a replacement on EB for a tenner). Nothing unexpected given its age I think.
stu

Z3 roadster 2.8 supe

Re: Hello folks

Post by stu »

Hi & Welcome to ZR.

What's the Cobra kit you're looking at?

You'll find the 2.8 Z3 very different to the Bora!
someone in a minority once wrote:I know I'm in a minority
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

The cobra kit was this :http://nubodi.moonfruit.com/kobra/4584382812
Not sure when ill look to invest in this as yet - thought I'd drive the car for a months and see how it pans out. I filled the gas tank up Tuesday night, and 135 miles later I need to fill it again. This isnt ideal since itll mean filling the tank 2x a week - so I might see if I can get a larger one (its 40l currently). On the plus side only cost around me £13 to fill it up IIRC .... 134 miles from £13 isnt so bad :)

And yeah - its somewhat different to a Bora.. But I also have a Mitsubishi Starion so i'm familiar with RWD goodness :)

I'm going to pop the hardtop off this weekend I think.. see if the soft-top is all good. And I might take a look at the niggles.. Im sure ill be back with questions sometime soon :)
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi Homer,welcome to .net. What's the performance like on LPG? apart from cost, any other advantages/disadvantages?

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
HomerRamone

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by HomerRamone »

Performance wise, If it wasnt for the lights on the button that switches from petrol to LPG you would probably struggle to notice. If you happen to be gunning it when it switches back to petrol from LPG cos its outta gas then you notice - cos it misses.
The only real downside is that you can only really fit around 28l of gas in the tank - which is only giving me a range of around 130 miles. I am looking into a larger (or additional) tank though :)
£15 to fill the gas tank though - which is great :)