Z3 roadster first-timer

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Z3 roadster first-timer

Post by martin41052 »

Hi folks. I have just bought my first Z3. It's a 1998 1.9, dark green with 123,000 miles on the clock. It seems to go well enough, but with winter coming up, I may SORN it until the spring which will give me time to sort out the very messy roof, and get the bodywork gleaming. On the other hand........it's a pity not to use it when the weather's nice!
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Z3 roadster first-timer

Post by Del »

Hi & welcome from a fellow 1.9 owner - hope you enjoy it. :)
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Thanks Del. To be honest, and this may sound strange, but I'm really enjoying cleaning and polishing it, and it's already starting to look pretty good.
Robz3sport

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Robz3sport »

Congratulations on your purchase, would love to see a picture of it......
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

Welcome on board :wink:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Hi Martin, welcome to the world of the Z3. Don't SORN it unless you really have no option. There is nothing like wrapping up and driving out on a crisp, sunny winters day, top down, heater blowing hot air on face and feet and heated seats on! (if you have them).
In my opinion, it's also good to run the car regularly up to temperature through the winter, it avoids flat spotting the tyres and keeps everything loose and lubricated. More importantly though, it's good for the soul. :drive If you have to lay it up though you will find a thread on things to do by using the search facility.
Any questions? Don't be afraid to ask, there are many talented forum members who would help you, and the Knowledge Base probably deals with most topics.

Anyway, all the best,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome from the southern hemisphere too... :wave
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

OK, you've persuaded me. :lol: Car taxed and insured for a year so I'm just hoping that this warm, autumnal weather carries on for a bit to tempt me out and about. Nicely cleaned and polished, all I need to do now is get a new roof on it!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Good man, keep us up to date with what you are doing to your Z3

Cheers, :cheers

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Just remember not to put the roof down when the back window is very cold - you can crack it. Leave the car with the heater on for a bit to warm it up before dropping the top if you're going out in the cold.
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

Yes, good tip. I keep the car in my garage but I dare say it's not exactly warm in there. Can't be too careful!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

Good tip Bladerunner. Another tip Martin re. the rear screen, get a length of circular foam pipe lagging, cut it to fit the size of your rear screen, ( end to end )and then place it in the fold of the screen as you start to fold the roof. The screen will then fold itself around the lagging which will prevent a sharp crease forming when the roof is completely folded down. Another tip is to place a towel or other soft sheet material over the rear section of the roof as it folds to prevent the hood frames marking the outer hood. But hey..... perhaps you know all of this anyway!

Cheers for now,

Bonzo

ps had a nice spirited drive for an hour this afternoon, :drive :thumb:
martin41052

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martin41052 »

No, I'm really grateful for your extremely helpful tips. I'm completely new to all this and I've learnt masses from this forum already.........I think it's brilliant. :P
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Don't forget you can always get a refund on tax anyway if you decide to take it off the road for just a few months - even easier if you pay by DD
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal