new owner

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

new owner

Post by lacedr »

Hi,
recently picked myself up an unloved Z3 1.9 thats been standing for nigh on a year.
it is motd at the moment have recently replaced front discs and pads and have yet to fit abs sensor and wear pad sensor and am going to see a car sprayer saturday.

have a few more issues to sort out mainly the temperature gauge reads just under the red with the ignition on and engine not started,when driving it stays in pretty much the same place.
the temperature sensor has been changed and the thermostat, the car is not overheating even when the connector is disconnected from the sensor the gauge reads the same, not sure if it is connected but the on board computer does not work and i am unable to reset the oil service light.
do you think the cluster could be kaput?
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: new owner

Post by Bonzo »

Welcome buddy! Can't help you myself, but I'm sure the techy wizards will around with some sound advice!

:cheers
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

[img]/img]
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

First off, welcome to the forum buddy.
Second, remove the cluster, and check at the back of the unit to find a OEM sticker placed across the join of the front and rear halves of the unit. If it's split, then the unit has been previously opened, and it's possible the dial needles were removed to clean the faces of the dials. The temp needle may have not been replaced securely or correctly and has moved, or even been damaged.
If someone opened it previously, they may have replaced the needle in the wrong starting position - when the ignition is turned on, the needle should move to the zero position if the engine is cold, or to the current temp if the engine is warm / hot etc etc.
If the "seal" / sticker is not broken, you may need to look elsewhere for a fault. And if you require the "how to" for opening up and dismantling the cluster without damaging anything, send me a PM and I'll help you out with the details. :wink:

There is a cluster self test which can be done - It varies from one car model to another, read this topic on the subject - http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20201

Read through the article on the link below, which may give you some more insights...

http://www.pelicanparts.com/BMW/techart ... esting.htm

And if you think this may be the solution........... http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-1-9-2- ... Swa-dWr1cJ
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

Hi
Thanks for the replies, i think the cluster has been apart before,not sure that is the issue as i keep getting a Po116 code come up have changed the sensor so not quite sure what is going on.
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

OBD code P0116 suggests some wiring issue with the coolant temperature sensor (CTS). Could be one of several issues – as covered already by Southernboy. Some time ago, I changed my CTS when I was chasing a mystery cold start issue. At first I bought an aftermarket one from GSF for about £10 (as they were closer to me) and it was not a very good fit both in terms of the way it pushed together and the electrical prongs inside – they seemed too narrow diameter. Furthermore, there was no aluminium washer so it leaked when screwed into the head. I was not best pleased and bought a BMW one for £13 which was perfect in every way. It wasn’t an expensive sensor. By point is, did you fit an aftermarket sensor – some of which can be total crap? :?
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

it is an aftermarket one but if i dont have the sensor connected the gauge still reads hot which i wouldnt expect as its not connected. i am getting some replacement gauges on monday to try so will see waht happens then and perhaps order a bmw sensor.
cheers
lacedr

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by lacedr »

good news, the new clocks sorted out the temperature gauge all seems to be working ok still getting the same fault code so will get a genuine bmw temperature sensor another job ticked off the list.