Noobster!

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Noobster!

Post by Grello »

Afternoon all! New here - picking up a 2002 Z3 2.2 M Sport on Saturday, silver with black leccy roof, black leather interior, heated leccy seats, a/c, 101K miles. Highest mileage car I've ever owned, let alone bought but I feel confident that these 6 pots are built to last.

A bit down on the horses from what I'm used to, last 2 toys being: Boxster 981S (315bhp, 0-62 in 4.8, far too precious, couldn't take it anywhere for fear of someone dinking it or worse); Scooby Impreza WRX Type UK (230bhp, far too frantic and didn't suit my suave and sophisticated presence - OK, I'm 56 and I felt a bit of a t*t in it :roll: ). Looks like I can squeeze a bit more hp and useful torque from the Zed via a performance intake kit (K&N?), remap and maybe a better 'zorst. Any recommendations for the intake kit and exhaust welcome please, especially the exhaust; I'd like something nice and sporty sounding to enhance the 6 but not drony.

I was after a 2.8 but only found sheds as I'd given myself a fairly tight budget. I wanted something I'd be proud to be seen in and getting out of (i.e. tidy) and using for a summer or two, with a longer term aim to tweak it somewhat (think Nubodi 250 SWB) and hoping that doesn't offend anyone here.

So that's me introduced and I look forward to sharing, banter, meet ups etc.

TTFN
Grello

2002 Z3 2.2 M Sport, East Sussex
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Re: Noobster!

Post by bertiejaffa »

Welsometo the fun - I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise on the plans you have for squeezing a bit more out of the old girl
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Welcome to the Zoo... sounds like you still wear school shorts in summer... :D Look forward to reading your performance upgrade posts... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Grello »

Southernboy wrote:?.. sounds like you still wear school shorts in summer... :D :wink:
Thank you! Yes, I hope that I am still a youngster at heart! :lol:
Grello

Grello

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Grello »

bertiejaffa wrote:Welsometo the fun - I'm sure someone will be along shortly to advise on the plans you have for squeezing a bit more out of the old girl
Thank you bertiejaffa!
Grello

Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

A simple but proper remap from a reputable tuning firm can produce extra BHP - I got 10% extra on my 1.9 (140 to 152) as did another forum member. I suppose "high flow sports cats" can let the car breathe a bit easier but my experience of aftermarket cats from stainless steel exhaust firms is that they often sell a load of rubbish that fail after a year or so. If they start failing you typically get high CO readings at MOT time.

I also have a replacement (Longlife) stainless steel exhaust with the same number of silencer boxes but they do make more noise that the thick and heavy OE BMW mild steel ones, because the material is thinner.

Personally, I haven't changed the air filter or air filter box - other than renewing/updating the cold air feed hose. Perhaps others will be along shortly to say what differences they have noticed with sports filters - personally I have doubts as to whether they actually add more BHP or just a bit more induction noise :shrug