'97 Z3 Diff Problems

Details of how to register as a zroadster.net user, plus tips on day-to-day usage
lisadom

Z3 roadster 1.9

'97 Z3 Diff Problems

Post by lisadom »

Hi, I am in desperate need of some advice re my newly acquired Z3. I have only had the car for a few weeks after desperatley wanting one for years, only to get it home and notice a slight whine in the rear. I didn't notice it on a test drive (too much talking ). Upon taking it to my local BMW dealer he informed me that the diff neede replacing at a cost of $2000au plus fitting. You can imagine how disappointed I was. The car has done 89,000 kms and is in really good condition otherwise. Then when I spoke to someone else there they told me that it has been a problem and that BMW had replace some out of warranty as a PR exercise. Then the service manager phoned and said that I should not worry about it and just drive it until the noise became unbearable and then get it fixed!!
And to think I sold my 65 mustang that had a forty year old diff with NO noise to get this prestige car that is noisy!
Has anyone else heard of this problem in the Z3's?
Any suggestions how to go about getting BMW to come to the party and fix it?
Attachments
Imgp0043.jpg
Imgp0043.jpg (69.95 KiB) Viewed 2601 times
Ludo

Z3 coupe 2.8

Post by Ludo »

It's not a common problem but it can happen, usually due to bad maintenance. One of the solution would be to go to a breaker to get a good one, probably around £600 with fitting at an independant garage.