Parking Fine - Private Carpark

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Gazza

M roadster S54

Parking Fine - Private Carpark

Post by Gazza »

What's the thoughts here ?

A small Retail area which has a sign about 4 metres up on a wall advising that it is a Private Carpark and a PCN will be given if there isn't a permit to park.

I didn't leave my van or even switch the engine off and a undercover agent of the Parking Enforcement company handed me a ticket, all I did was enter and turn around straight away, I was stationary for about 90 seconds.

Should I pay the £75 fine?
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Absolutely not, on principal. Parking is a civil matter, and if taken to court, I would say you have to be given time to read the signs before deciding whether to leave your vehicle there. You rightly decided not to park and were attempting to leave when accosted by what I am increasingly taking to call an extortionist, and at the very least, a scammer. They should not be allowed to get away with this - they try it because there are plenty of people willing to pay up when threatened in this way. You might also like to report them to trading standards/Watchdog.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
Malcolm E Zed

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by Malcolm E Zed »

Ignore it.

Seriously, I had a ticket like this before Christmas. It is a civil matter and if they take you to court the judge can only award them the costs of how much they would be out of pocket for you not paying to park or overstaying the period. this sum is likely to be a couple of quid so they don't bother doing so. As it costs them more than it is worth.

If anything else happens and they do go to court (highly unlikely) then say you were not driving and you are not a t liberty to divulge who was. they can't make you as it is a civil matter not a criminal one.

So ultimately just ignore it and any threats that come your way.

I had three letters which stopped ages ago.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

A lawyer friend of mine says do nothing , if they write to you threatening court. So "OK take me to Court". They should then go away.. Oh and don't park there again :zmurf:
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
swamper

M roadster S50

Post by swamper »

yep im with the rest...just ignore it..

my company pays them then takes it out of our wages...... apparently its a courtesy thing between company's :head:
the badness makes me do it...!

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

My thoughts were to ignore it and the subsequent letters should they arrive.

Just needed a little reassurance that I was doing the right thing :)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

I found a piece of paper left under my wiper when I returned that said 'Parking Fine'
I thought it was a compliment.......

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
simonbud100

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by simonbud100 »

As its a civil matter they need to prove balane of probability that you were going to park there. If your engine was running then there is no evidence to suggest that this was the case.

IF you get a letter from them, be sure to reply and invite them to take you to court, they know that they will not win so will drop the case.
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

Read this thread to understand why you don't have to pay:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=20991

In simple terms its a civil not a criminal offence (unlike a council car park or highways) and so is a breach of contract between the person dirving the car and the car park operator.

The important thing is that it is the DRIVER and not owner of the vehicle who has breached the contract. The parking operator has to prove who was driving at the time. They can find out who is the owner from the DVLA but you just deny driving it at the time. They will say you legally hav to tell them who was driving but that is bullsh!t, they are not the police and you do not need to tell them anything. Just threaten them with harrassment if they write to you.

Since my incident I now run a couple of private car parks myself so am on the other side of the fence so to speak. I woud never condone knowingly parking in a private car park and not paying a fair price but its these unfair unproportionate fines that annoy me and the reason I did not pay a few years ago.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster