roadtrip through Parts o'England

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Traumschwarz

Z1 roadster

roadtrip through Parts o'England

Post by Traumschwarz »

Hi lounge folks,

I have been to Lincoln (Lincolnshire) two years ago and always wanted to return to England, this time by car.
Unfortuneately though without my Z :head: (Never say never :D ).

We are about to enter a fabulous road trip through the southern and middle part of England, all the way "up" to Manchester.
I already went through TravelZ ( Roadz&co. :rtm: ) still looking for more (especially affordable b&bs along the way...if at hand).

This is what we have plotted and I was thinking maybe you have a heart supplying me with some awesome and impressive roads/towns/sights/restaurants/areas/overlooks
BESIDE the usual tourist traps. (As you may have noticed we really enjoy a medieval scenery) Maybe you could take a look and give some further advice?

Canterbury: cathedral, hist.Kings Mile, canterbury tales
Southend-on-Sea: Harbour
Cambridge: mathematical bridge, punting boots tour,
Nottingham: galleries of justice,
Manchester: northern quarter, curry mile, cloud 23 (Bertram Tower)
Chester: Chester cathedral, chester zoo
Birmingham: cadbury world in bournvile
Cardiff: Cardiff bay, Llandaff cathedral
Newport, and then Newquay
After that: London 8-)

Thanks a mill :colourful:
Peter
I consider EXCELLENT CONDITION being somewhat different!
garyw

Porsche

Re: roadtrip through Parts o'England

Post by garyw »

Just West of Chester are some of the best driving roads and sights that the GB has, Search for the EVO triangle and down to Lake Bala on your way to Birmingham.(Go via Ruthin which has a lovely hotel/castle and that willp ut you on the right path)
Outskirts of Birmingham is Warwick Castle which with your mentined interests could be one of the highlights.- even if it is a tourist trap!
Again heading back to Wales, go cross country as the Brecon Beacons really are wonderful views and landscape.- you pass quite a few of the nice Welsh Castles too..

garyw
RodsZ3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RodsZ3 »

DON'T GO TO NEWQUAY, unless you want to surf as the beaches are good however the town is HORRID.
Better off visiting Clovelly in North Devon, then Port Issac to Padstow (cycle the path from Wadebridge) and then make the effort to visit St Ives. On the return along the south coast visit The Lizard peninsular and pop into Fowey (stay a couple of nights and walk the Kings Walk to Polruan). Dartmouth in south Devon is worth a look aswell......but don't go to Newquay!!!
Just my opinion.
Rod
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean to say all parachutes are perfect! (Benny Hill 1924 - 1992)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Forget Southend too
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

Be prepared to sit in traffic and/or have your car stolen in Manchester - I've just moved away from there :lol:

Seriously, get into the Peak District whilst your round Cheshire/Manchester - theres the Cat and Fiddle pub/road and nice drives down to Chatsworth / Buxton from their. :)
Last edited by chrisp_1 on Thu 20 Sep, 2012 11:58, edited 1 time in total.
RodsZ3

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by RodsZ3 »

Gazza wrote:Forget Southend too
Yes....unless you want to walk the famous Pier, better off going to Leigh-on-Sea if you 'really' want to visit South Essex
Rod
Just because nobody complains doesn't mean to say all parachutes are perfect! (Benny Hill 1924 - 1992)
Ian_C

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Ian_C »

chrisp_1 wrote:Seriously, get into the Peak District whilst your round Cheshire/Manchester - theres the Cat and Fiddle pub/road and nice drives down the Chatsworth / Buxton.
Definitely do this :thumb:
Current...1998 ///M Coupe
Previously...1997 Z3 2.8
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Post by chrisp_1 »

myredzed wrote:
chrisp_1 wrote:Seriously, get into the Peak District whilst your round Cheshire/Manchester - theres the Cat and Fiddle pub/road and nice drives down the Chatsworth / Buxton.
Definitely do this :thumb:
Yep,.. not forgetting Snake and Woodhead passes over towards Sheffield.

Loads of nice places in the Peak District to stay, visit and drive to/from, top down of course :D
Traumschwarz

Z1 roadster

Post by Traumschwarz »

Hi there!

I am delighted by all your responses Thank you!

And yes, I have made some further plannings with your help, but as John Lennon (R.I.P.) used to say: "life happens while you're making other plans" we will let life take over and hope to
see and experience wonderful encounters! If stereotypes are left aside, no matter where we go, I always meet hospitality.
Btw. Newquay got into the list cause of a business invitation. May or may not be a part of our excursion.

Hope to gather loads of memories!
greetings from Germany
Peter
si-forks

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by si-forks »

Forget cadbury world too its very poor try and do the cotswolds if you can and Tintern Abbey

Si-forks on tapatalk
E30 318 1988 Gone
E36 320 1992 Gone

E36 328 1995 write off

E39 525d M Sport 2003 Current
E37 Z3 M44B1.9 1997 Current
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

si-forks wrote:Forget cadbury world too its very poor try and do the cotswolds if you can and Tintern Abbey

Si-forks on tapatalk
It's that old, it's fallen over :|
Traumschwarz

Z1 roadster

Post by Traumschwarz »

Hey, that neck-twister looks like Coventry Castle, ey?

Well, Our trip is over and I am really fond of how friendy the brits are. Even friendlier than the dutch ( as long as none of them know you'r german :D )

All in twelve days, 3500 km, some places we just past (like Swansea) so it gives you an idea of where we were heading.
Without intention we past Machynlleth, Powys, Wales, shocked by all the mass media and police forces.
We drove further south without changing words for miles.

Dover
Stratford-upon-Avon
Warwick Castle
Leicester
Bakewell
Buxton
Manchester
Chester
Barmouth
Borth
Cardigan
Fishguard
St. Davids
Manorbier
Swansea
Minehead
Bristol
North East Somerset
Exeter
Newquay
Stonehenge
Salisburg
London
Dover

Anyway
The LEZ got us on camera, so now I just home the fine isn't too high for my 9 Seater diesel familiy van. the LEZ website says no further measure need to be taken. others claim the opposite.
got my fingers crossed. I send in the paperwork with the diesel filter, let's hope for the best.
garyw

Porsche

Post by garyw »

LEZ ?
I look forward to seeing the pictures from the trip..
Traumschwarz

Z1 roadster

Post by Traumschwarz »

LEZ=
Low Emission Zone
the area ALL over London.

pictures? Hmm...got to upload some then. :oops: