Hi Fi and record deck set up.

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Hi Fi and record deck set up.

Post by Bonzo »

Settling down in Aylsham after retirement, I've finally set up my old Hi Fi seperates in the study, including a vinyl deck.
But what L.P.to play first? I chose ' Tonto's Expanding Headband. ' by Zero Time. (1972). Wow! what a rich,
3-dimensional sound, and that bass tone on ' Cybernaut ', right down in your boots! Anyone else got this Album? I got turned on to it by the late great John Peel.

I am now in audio Nirvana. I recommend it! :thumb:

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: Hi Fi and record deck set up.

Post by gookah »

Bonzo wrote:Settling down in Aylsham after retirement, I've finally set up my old Hi Fi seperates in the study, including a vinyl deck.
But what L.P.to play first? I chose ' Tonto's Expanding Headband. ' by Zero Time. (1972). Wow! what a rich,
3-dimensional sound, and that bass tone on ' Cybernaut ', right down in your boots! Anyone else got this Album? I got turned on to it by the late great John Peel.

I am now in audio Nirvana. I recommend it! :thumb:

Cheers,

Bonzo.

is this English? looks like it but I'm not sure....... :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

I still have a record deck, lots of vinyl in the loft

Apart from the odd hiss and crackle the sound is amazing, much richer than Mp3
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I have bought a few vinyl records recently. You can still buy new from various sources and loads on the bay secondhand. Agree the sound is warmer. I got a Linn Sondek last year after wanting one since being a kid. Sound is great and the only down side is having to flip the record over after 15-20 mins. Looks cool too.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I havent used vinyl for years, but over xmas i did play my hi fi, mainly mission and teac, you definatley notice the difference between a good CD and an Ipod, the ipod sounds so compressed.
Still modifying
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

When c d's first came out, I couldn't listen to them, too metallic and bright, especially as I listened mainly through headphones. I had to wait for the second or third generation of players before I could switch from vinyl.

But c'mon, has anyone out there got Tonto's Expanding Headband? Play it through a good system, it was groundbreaking in 1972. It's on youtube!

Cheers,

Bonzo.
Z3lda (Zelda), 1998 2.8, Montreal Blue, Beige Oregon leather interior and M steering wheel, Sports Seats, Wood trim, Chrome Line Interior, Centre armrest with Cupholder, Alpina Softline wheels, Chromed Angel Eyes, De- tango'd, Rear stone guards, Sport aerial, ASC front strut brace, Strong Strut Butt Strut and Body Brace, Uprated brake fluid, Yellowstuff pads 78k.
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

Hi

Yes, I'm another old hippy who's got Tonto. Still have it on vinyl. but recently found it on CD. Can't remember where I got it from, but yes an epic LP/CD! I've also still got almost every bit of kit from that era as well. Original system was: Pioneer PL12D deck, Armstrong 626 tuner amp and Acoustic Research AR6 speakers.
Cheers
Dave
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

I like this thread. It makes me feel young! Not often that happens these days! :lol:

I only ever owned two pieces of vinyl - both singles - one of which was given to me by a friend. I just used to listen to Radio Luxembourg on an old Roberts radio, and then a few tapes on a portable stereo, until I got a Sony Discman in 1987, which I then hooked up to my parents old Hi-Fi (pretty sure it was valve based!) and pretty much just listened to CDs from then on.

I still buy CDs today, but I tend to use them as backups and simply rip them onto my NAS and play them using my Squeezebox, which is hooked up to a decent amp and speakers.

So I can cheerfully say that I really don't remember vinyl. :D

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Robert T wrote: I still buy CDs today, but I tend to use them as backups and simply rip them onto my NAS and play them using my Squeezebox
Like this?

Mint

blank

Post by Mint »

davieb wrote: Original system was: Pioneer PL12D deck, Armstrong 626 tuner amp and Acoustic Research AR6 speakers.
Very similar to my first setup, Pioneer PL12D deck, Armstrong 625 tuner amp, Mission speakers :)
GE45TON

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by GE45TON »

haven't heard that since the 70's, like you I'm starting to collect vinyl again after selling most of it 10 years or more ago. Never sold my deck though, Systemdek/SME etc, just bought this on vinyl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdtsQyLM8Y

probably the best sound I've heard for ages, incredible musicians too.
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Robert T wrote:I like this thread. It makes me feel young! Not often that happens these days! :lol:

I only ever owned two pieces of vinyl - both singles - one of which was given to me by a friend. I just used to listen to Radio Luxembourg on an old Roberts radio, and then a few tapes on a portable stereo, until I got a Sony Discman in 1987, which I then hooked up to my parents old Hi-Fi (pretty sure it was valve based!) and pretty much just listened to CDs from then on.

I still buy CDs today, but I tend to use them as backups and simply rip them onto my NAS and play them using my Squeezebox, which is hooked up to a decent amp and speakers.

So I can cheerfully say that I really don't remember vinyl. :D

Cheers R.
That is what's so special about music, makes you feel young and sometimes can make you feel old too. It's all about the memories. Still got a load of vinyl. Daughter and son-in-law got me the gear to transfer vinyl through pc to mp3. OK I know I will lose some of the sound quality but I can then play them in my Z through the car stereo and on a nice hot sunny day what could be better than loud music from your youth, top down, in a car you could once only dream about?
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

t-tony wrote: Daughter and son-in-law got me the gear to transfer vinyl through pc to mp3. OK I know I will lose some of the sound quality but I can then play them in my Z through the car stereo and on a nice hot sunny day what could be better than loud music from your youth, top down, in a car you could once only dream about?
I've converted a lot of my vinyl to digital to play in the car. The loss of a bit of quality doesn't matter, especially in a noisy car like the zed. I've got a Kenwood head unit that has a 64gb usb stick attached that can hold umpteen albums. The biggest problem is trying to decide what to listen to!
Alfie
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Alfie »

GE45TON wrote:......just bought this on vinyl:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygdtsQyLM8Y
probably the best sound I've heard for ages, incredible musicians too.
:shock: WOW....!
Never heard of them before, but I'm off to Amazon right now. Right up my musical street. Thanks for the tip-off!

A.
Althulas

M roadster S50

Post by Althulas »

My Dads got a load of vinyl from the 50's upto when punk started and then my dad literally stopped buying records. He was going to sell up but I persuaded him not to and invest in a better deck instead.
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
Bonzo

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Bonzo »

BladeRunner919 wrote:
t-tony wrote: Daughter and son-in-law got me the gear to transfer vinyl through pc to mp3. OK I know I will lose some of the sound quality but I can then play them in my Z through the car stereo and on a nice hot sunny day what could be better than loud music from your youth, top down, in a car you could once only dream about?
I've converted a lot of my vinyl to digital to play in the car. The loss of a bit of quality doesn't matter, especially in a noisy car like the zed. I've got a Kenwood head unit that has a 64gb usb stick attached that can hold umpteen albums. The biggest problem is trying to decide what to listen to!
When driving I keep thinking, ' what cd shall I select,' but I always end up listening to to the music of the sweet six under the bonnet! Unless I'm in a jam, of course! :)