RENT-A-GARAGE!

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

RENT-A-GARAGE!

Post by Buz007 »

Hello All,

A mate of mine is currently in the process of setting up a new business which is renting ramps in a warehouse he owns nr M62. He's basically kitted it out into 3 'bays' which can be rented for people to do their own maintenance/parts swaps/brakes etc, you can get the car up on the ramps and do what you like for an hour or days if you prefer. there is even free tea and coffee! :D

Just wondered if anyone on here would be interested in using the service? its £15 per hour and diminishes the longer you are there, beats £50p hour in labour that the garages charge for jobs that most of us can do but don't have the facilities to do... would be good to know peoples thoughts????

Cheers
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Re: RENT-A-GARAGE!

Post by Deano1712 »

Problem you have is that when you start working on cars you tend to need the tool you dont have to hand. Also you may need to get parts. There is possibility of getting stuck stranded on the 'ramps' while you get what you need. Not great if you are being charged an hourly rate.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
Alan W

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Alan W »

Sounds like a great idea, shame its not in Kent, I would recommend getting your car up on a ramp maybe once a year to have a look as you see far more than jacking it up and crawling underneath.
1999 facelit Z3 Roadster 2.8 Auto in Cosmos Black aka 'Gloria'
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

....... If you're going to tackle any task it's best to read up on getting the job done. Then gather all the bits and tools you going to need to complete the job. Anyone tackling a DIY should have a comprehensive set of socket, flat and ring spanners plus a variety of screw drivers. Always take along a can of WD40 or similar, rags and a lead light. If you're replacing parts always consider what you're going to remove and the possibility that items like hose clamps will need replacing. A bunch of cable ties are also useful even just to tie stuff up or out the way. Always have a close look at the task once you have the car up to make sure you have considered everything and that you have what you need. Also consider that in the process of doing one task, you could also do other maintenance work on items which will need to be removed to get the primary task. eg. If you're replacing shocks, you may want to do brake pads or calipers while you're "in the area".... or even consider giving the wheel arch liners a good cleaning etc etc.... As with any task, preparation is everything. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

There are a few of these popping up around the country. Most rent out tools as well. I agree with Deano. It can get expensive if you get stuck and can't get the car back together to get it off the ramps.
Pingu
Jonttt
Z Register member

M roadster S54

Post by Jonttt »

These have been knocking about for years, I always wondered how they get public liability cover, the premiums must be high :shock: it does not matter how many disclaimers you get people to sign, in this day and age there is an overriding duty of care on the operator.
Happiness is not around the corner........happiness is the corner
Image Video or Journal Garage: 2015 FFRR Black Edition, Porsche Boxster GTS, 1997 Porsche Carrara C4S, Ex 2001 BMW S54 Z3m Roadster