Brought to my attention about uk road tax

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
stevie_a

blank

Brought to my attention about uk road tax

Post by stevie_a »

This has been brought to my attention
This has not been publicised very good
PLEASE PAY ATTENTION TO THE SECTIONS:
Buying a vehicle and Selling a vehicle
£1000 fine if you fail to do so

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/vehicle-tax-changes
siwilson

M roadster S54

Re: Brought to my attention about uk road tax

Post by siwilson »

Interesting!

Buying a vehicle
From 1 October, when you buy a vehicle, the vehicle tax will no longer be transferred with the vehicle. You will need to get new vehicle tax before you can use the vehicle.

You can tax the vehicle using the New Keeper Supplement (V5C/2) part of the vehicle registration certificate (V5C) online or by using our automated phone service - 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Alternatively, you may wish to visit a Post Office® branch.

Selling a vehicle
If you sell a vehicle after 1 October and you have notified DVLA, you will automatically get a refund for any full calendar months left on the vehicle tax.
2001 M roadster S54 Laguna Seca Blue
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

I wonder if this new system will change the way we buy/sell cars on the second hand market? The seller of the car will want to maximise the vehicle tax refund they achieve i.e. sell before the end of a month and the buyer will not want to pay for car tax before the start of a month. mmmmm it seems to me the government will raise a little more money by implementing this system!
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

HMG are going to make a fortune from the fines and the cars that are "double taxed".

The way I read it (probably wrongly read, or wrongly written), your DD won't be taken if you have no MOT. If that is correct, there will be chaos.

Scenario...

29th of month - car is taxed, MOT runs out and fails new MOT.
1st of next month - car has no MOT and DD fails to be taken for VED
2nd of month - car is repaired and passes MOT
3rd of month - owner drives out of garage with an MOT, but unknowingly has no VED.
Pingu
lebigmec

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by lebigmec »

Easy way around it?.
Just use a foreign registered car permanently on UK roads (usually PL, LV, RO, LT, BG), just like many many do around where I live in East Anglia, & that way you're exempt from VED & MOT & the police will turn a blind eye to whatever state your car is in too. Simples!
Oh, & apparently you can park illegally in a Disabled space then as well.