Vulcan last flight 2014

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
bentley-boy

blank

Vulcan last flight 2014

Post by bentley-boy »

Not Zed related (apart from going in mine) but who cares, anybody witnessed todays "Cold War" flight of the Vulcan bomber? Went up to Cottesmore, hood down of course, and having parked up walked along the public footpath called Viking Way that takes you past the end of the runway. Well, what a sight to see the Vulcan thundering towards you at low level before powering up to make a steep climb and banking manoeuvre, those Olympus (?) engines making that wonderful crackling roar. Three passes and she was off, worth the effort though!!

Regards to all, BB
Althulas

M roadster S50

Re: Vulcan last flight 2014

Post by Althulas »

Would love to have seen that, I've seen a Vulcan fly over my old house before it got grounded a few years back have you any pics or video to share?
If you like gaming with mature minded players visit our retirement home http://www.oap-clan.co.uk/
ImageImage
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Have a piccy or two but don't know how to upload I'm afaraid :( I think it's a shame these magnificent planes are disappearing including Concorde too of course. In the case of Concorde Richard Branson wanted to continue flying them and probably had the financial clout to do it but was probably a political matter. I remember speaking with an ex Captain on the Concorde fleet and he was telling the greater picture of what happened that fateful day. As for the Vulcan it is down to the lack of serviceable engines I believe, not helped by ingesting their own silica gel bags into them!! Guess everything comes down to money in the end, and 2015 looks like the last year of flight, unless. . . . . Be a shame to see it a taxy only exhibit. Anyway it's members day at RAF Coningsby this Sunday so I'm hoping for fair weather.

Regards, BB
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

As Clarkson says in one of his books... In life everything has gone from good to great, technology has evolved and is forever getting better... Apart from air travel.

Concorde was the next step when it was made 30-40 years ago... By now we should be capable of flying to austrailia in 3 hours... Instead it has gone backwards and these great planes were grounded after one accident.... From a burst wheel!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Koolflyer

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Koolflyer »

I'd like to have been there too BB......bugger.....night shifts! Still,going to take Z up to Donc for a hanger visit to see her close up over the next few months. Sounds like a cruise?? Dave where are you?
As they say "if you've got time to spare, go by air!" Development for air travel especially for propulsion has always been a stumbling block with a big price tag. Still at least you and I have helped India be a world leader in space exploration......perhaps that's one reason :head:

Dead easy BB, just follow instructions on Photo bucket, upload your pics and paste it into your post..... .Pete :thumb:
1997 Z3 2.8 (M52) Roadster Montreal blue
2013 330d (F31) M Sport Alpine White
t-tony

Z3 roadster 2.0

Post by t-tony »

Clarkson also gave his opinion on why the Concord was out grown in terms of it's usefulness by modern technology, the whole point about leaving the UK and having meetings in the US "before you even left the UK" in time lapse, was rendered pointless by modern communications and conference calls et al.
Even so I would still rather see them up in the sky with the hope that one day I get to fly on one.
"Knowledge and experience are not always the same"
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

I'm up for a cruise to see the Vulcan tucked up in it's hanger, just give the nod :D Perhaps a posting in 'Events' section? Todays event at Coningsby was excellent, made all the better for having (purely by chance) got chatting to an old boy in the visitor centre. He turned out to have been a rear gunner, did his 30 ops and then went back for more! Thought to myself "how can that be he doesn't look more than 70", he was 93!!!

BB
Bowler

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Bowler »

Went last year with the BMWCC, really interesting visit with the stories and knowledge of the team there really making it special, plus awesome been up close and personnel with probably the most beautiful war bird ever made,
In love with driving again (its the Z effect)
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Not from the last flight, but from Waddington. The scream as it banked overhead was awesome...

Pingu
Davejue1

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Davejue1 »

Koolflyer wrote:I'd like to have been there too BB......bugger.....night shifts! Still,going to take Z up to Donc for a hanger visit to see her close up over the next few months. Sounds like a cruise?? Dave where are you?
As they say "if you've got time to spare, go by air!" Development for air travel especially for propulsion has always been a stumbling block with a big price tag. Still at least you and I have helped India be a world leader in space exploration......perhaps that's one reason :head:

Dead easy BB, just follow instructions on Photo bucket, upload your pics and paste it into your post..... .Pete :thumb:
I'm here Pete! Thanks to Adrian (Bentley Boy) for sending me a message, hadn't picked up on this thread at all to be honest. Yeah count me in if it fits in with things ok. Can we go inside this one? Can we do this in the spring as I'm hoping to hibernate the Zed at the end of next month until beginning of April? If you want to come up with some dates could we start a new thread for it? :)

Cheers
Dave

"Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!"