Eclipse 2015

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
pingu

M roadster S50

Eclipse 2015

Post by pingu »

Anyone fancy trying to get a good view of the eclipse this Friday?

The eclipses start at about 0830 and are at their max at around 0930 and it's all over by around 1030.

I'm thinking of driving to the place with the fullest eclipse, but with clear skies.

North of Scotland will have the fullest eclipses (upto 98%) Inverness Eclipse Data, but the weather for Inverness looks like being cloudy Inverness Weather Map

At the moment, the area around Plymouth and the M5 from Bristol to the South West has the greatest chance of a clear sky Plymouth Weather Map, but Plymouth will only have an 85% eclipse Plymouth Eclipse Data

At the moment (0045 18 Mar 2015), the best alternative seems to be Alnwick in Northumberland. It has a 92% eclipse Alnwick Eclipse Data, but is also predicted some sunshine Alnwick Weather Map.

Everything is subject to change and I might end up anywhere in GB :shock: .

If anyone is interested, let me know.

If I go, I'll make the decision about the general direction on Thursday night, and the exact viewing location at around 0600 on Friday morning.
Pingu
bentley-boy

blank

Re: Eclipse 2015

Post by bentley-boy »

Hi, Yes I remember watching a total eclipse back in late 90's when it was a bright sunny day and was really weird, although not quite as dark as I had expected. Looking at weather map Northumberland looks to be out weather wise but Plymouth stands a good chance of sun. Presumably a cloudy day would make it appear darker still?

BB
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Update (2100 18 May 2015):

Plymouth and Bristol look like they will be cloudy. As will Scotland.

Louth, Grantham and Boston are looking promising. Louth Weather Map

This is why the actual decision can't be made until tomorrow night at the earliest. That means I can travel to an area and have a 100 mile radius to finally decide to go to. The final decision will be made at 0600 on Friday morning.

At the moment, I'll be stopping at home as I am within 50 miles of Louth (<2 hour drive in the M :D )

I remember the full eclipse in 1999. We all made glasses out of old microfiche :shock: .
Pingu
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Guess where I ended up going ...

Only an 85% eclipse, but blew the cobwebs out of the exhaust a few times :twisted:
Pingu
bentley-boy

blank

Post by bentley-boy »

Well I was surprised to see a bright sunny day in south Leicester and so watched the eclipse through a welding mask, got a brilliant view of it. Unfortunately my phone only recorded a bright shiny blob and not the full eclipse, but hey I saw it. Reminded me of those fake night time scenes in films shot in bright sunlight through a heavy filter, the effect was quite similar to that, very weird although not quite as dark as I expected. Glad you had a good trip and pleased I was able to see it from work.

BB
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Fantastic Gary !!!
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

'fraid I didn't do a run out to go and see the Eclipse, but instead watched it from home.

I took a few photos with an improvised filter made some old exposed 35mm film.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

Great pics, Rob. Is that what I should have seen? :)

Apparently, I would have had a better view from home, but the forecast was for cloud cover, so I went for forecast clear skies.

I took my welding mask, but it didn't work. It only darkens for a sec before going clear. I used it for welding a couple of days ago and it was OK :shrug .

I improvised, adapted and overcame by making a pin hole camera out of the back of a road atlas. My years of watching Blue Peter weren't wasted :).
Pingu
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

in 1999 i was on my (ex)girlfriends boat in the middle of the channel... perfect place for the eclipse, snacks, champagne... etc etc etc

It was cloudy and just went dark... kinda summed up the relationship lol !!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I thought the 1999 one was more dramatic. Was on holiday in Centre Parcs at the time, with my tribe of kids, and we all stood outside the "portacabin", looking up at the sun, wearing the cardboard sunglasses that were supplied everywhere at the time :D Looked like something out of a 1950's sci fi film :D