Electrics problem..........not a Z! HELP...

Idle chit-chat and banter. Let your hair down, but remember there are kids about!
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Electrics problem..........not a Z! HELP...

Post by Warrior »

I've been charged with the responsibility to sell my recently deceased father in laws Vauxhall Vectra and have had a couple of electrical issues with it as follows......

The car has been standing since October and been driven less than 10 miles in that time.

She's been starting on the button and plenty of power in the battery it seems but the electric drivers side window wouldn't close at first and took several prods of the button to get into closed position. No obvious reason but this happened regularly over a couple of days of testing, sometimes taking several minutes to work. I thought it was damp or at worst a new switch was required. The passenger side was fine.

Today I collected the car from the mother in laws, drove the half mile home and on turning off the engine got the acrid whiff of burning cable that quickly dispersed.

Sods law I had a potential buyer arriving 10 minutes later. I'd intended to and did tell the buyer about the window problem but as he/we went through the features it turned out that the switch had stopped working completely, the radio was changing volume at will, the dash display for eg., the doors open warning was pixelated and the boot wouldn't lock automatically.

All I really need to get an idea about is does this point to anything in particular that I can easily and cheaply fix or something more sinister requiring deep and meaningful investigation and even deeper pockets!!?
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Electrics problem..........not a Z! HELP...

Post by kjb1 »

Be more specific re: your vectra, which shape vectra? what year?

Sent from my iPhone
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

bcm module after a quick google. Found within glove box area, has failed.

Sent from my iPhone
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

kjb1 wrote:bcm module after a quick google. Found within glove box area, has failed.

Sent from my iPhone
Many thanks. It's an 02 plate 2.2sri hatchback..........

Spoke to an auto electrician and sounds like it could be quite expensive.
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

get on the vectra forums, they will help you out

Sent from my iPhone
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

Update, for info...

Had an Auto Electrician look at the faults, 100 quid!

Needs new drivers side switch, passenger side switch. Radio volume faulty -leaving. Dash display may return, put down to damp - leaving.

With second hand switches going to come to a couple of hundred!
kjb1

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by kjb1 »

ouch! still a lot for switches?

Sent from my iPhone
Warrior

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Warrior »

A tenner on the key, new battery I guess.........drivers side door switch, with power folding mirrors, 87 quid, 40 something for passenger side.

Charged 100 quid for investigating all the issues, using second hand Ebay or breakers yard switches estimated around 60 quid all in, plus the key tenner and another 30 quid to fit.

(No pound sign on this US laptop hence the use of quid!) :) :D