My Saphire Black Z3...

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Pete_M

Z3 roadster 3.0i

My Saphire Black Z3...

Post by Pete_M »

Well, I've had my Zed for a week now, so time for some pix... Oh, in case Muppet (who apparently is an authority on shiny things) views this I'd better apologise... I've spent quite some time driving and ...er... no time at all polishing! :wink:

Cheers,

Pete.
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Looking good. Muppet will no doubt give you advice on polishing too.
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Robert T »

Aw, how romantic, you took your zed down to the lake for its first photo shoot! :wink:

Nice looking motor, Pete. Thanks for posting.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Looking good Pete.
How does it feel compared to your MR2?

Cheers P :wink:
big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Nice car Pete.................I'll keep my eyes peeled for you :wink:

Gazza.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Pete_M

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pete_M »

Robert T wrote:Aw, how romantic, you took your zed down to the lake for its first photo shoot! :wink:

Nice looking motor, Pete. Thanks for posting.

Cheers R.
Yeah well, you know how it is... you drive around for ages in beautiful spring sunshine looking for a photo opportunity, and when you find a half-way decent one the clouds come over! Don't know about romantic, but it's better than outside my flat!
Pete_M

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pete_M »

whiteminks wrote:Looking good Pete.

Hmm... well Paula I don't know if your question was rhetorical or not but I'll answer it seriously. To be honest, I loved the MR2; its steering was pin-point accurate and the gear change (if you were in press-on mode) was like a lightswitch, the only limiting factor being how fast you could move your hand and feet. My Zed suffers from severe tramlining, to the extent that if you're trundling through a village street ( with maybe a few speedbumps) at about 20 mph you never know whether it's going to spit you off to the left onto the pavement or to the right into on-coming traffic. Clearly there are some major geometry changes occurring here, and I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe the wishbone bushes are shot. Well, I've got some powerflex bushes to fit, and there'll be a post about the results when done.

I'm learning to be a bit more leisurely with my gearchanges, so that's no problem at all, and the engine, well it sounds fabulous and just pulls and pulls... give me a wheelbarrow with this engine and I'd have a grin on my face!

On re-reading this it sounds as though I'm being very negative, and that isn't my intention at all. I love this car, and if I can sort out the front end it'll be unbeatable!
whiteminks

M roadster S54

Post by whiteminks »

Hi Pete,

I know a lot of people love the MR2. I have never driven one but I used to love the look of the Mark 1 and there were lots of good reports.

My Zed does tram line and it used to startle me at first, but I have got used to just giving it a gentle reminder to get back on course and it obeys :D

What tyres have you got? I found the Goodyear Eagle F1s have made a HUGE difference to the handling, and I feel so much more confident and in control.
My next step will be to get a front strut brace fitted but I wanted to see what difference the tyres made first.

I am sure you will get sorted, and love it once you get used to it's quirks, and adjust things to suit you?

big cheesy wrote:'I nearly cacked my trolleys till I quickly tuned in'. Yorkshire Cruise 2008.
Pete_M

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pete_M »

Yeah, my finger of suspicion is also hovering over the tyres! I've got Continental Supercontact something-or-other on the rear and Dunlop Sport Maxx something-or-other on the front; the mix 'n match approach to tyres is rarely a good thing :shock: But there's good tread depth all round, so they'll have to wait a while! I'll go the strut brace route next if my insurer (Elephant) will accept it.
muppet

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by muppet »

Pete Zeds are bad for tramlining, I am replacing the rear bushes on the front wishbones next week , Mike Fishwick forum Guru did a thread on replacing these . It does apparently make a big difference .
The car is not too shiney but looks like a good un'. get is spruced up and post some shiney pics....Muppet like shiney things
I have been diagnosed with ADHOTS. Attention Deficit Hyperactive Ohh That's Shiney
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

If the front tyres are the 8800's or is it 8080's just throw them away

Gazza.
Last edited by Gazza on Sat 10 Mar, 2007 12:14, edited 1 time in total.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

ImageImage
risquenun

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by risquenun »

Pete,
I would definately change the tyres first off. My car was on Michelins (the rears I later found out were a porsche specific fitment).
The car was lethal onthe Michelins and 16 inch wheels tramlining and willing to let go at the slightest provocation even pulling away quickly on a dry road.
I put a set of 17 inch wheels on which I thought would make the car worse, but with Eagles fitted the car is totally transformed , the tramlining in less, the ride is more compliant and the car feels much safer altogether.

Les
This Orinoco doesn't Womble.
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

Pete,

I had Contis on the rear of my ///M and something different on the front and it had no ill effect, no point wasting money if yours have plenty of tread.

Elephant do allow strut braces.
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Thats why your car didnt like corners Alex :lol: :lol:

Gazza.
Gazza

ImageImage
Geoff H

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Geoff H »

Pete_M wrote:
whiteminks wrote:Looking good Pete.

Hmm... well Paula I don't know if your question was rhetorical or not but I'll answer it seriously. To be honest, I loved the MR2; its steering was pin-point accurate and the gear change (if you were in press-on mode) was like a lightswitch, the only limiting factor being how fast you could move your hand and feet. My Zed suffers from severe tramlining, to the extent that if you're trundling through a village street ( with maybe a few speedbumps) at about 20 mph you never know whether it's going to spit you off to the left onto the pavement or to the right into on-coming traffic. Clearly there are some major geometry changes occurring here, and I'm thinking (hoping) that maybe the wishbone bushes are shot. Well, I've got some powerflex bushes to fit, and there'll be a post about the results when done.

I'm learning to be a bit more leisurely with my gearchanges, so that's no problem at all, and the engine, well it sounds fabulous and just pulls and pulls... give me a wheelbarrow with this engine and I'd have a grin on my face!

On re-reading this it sounds as though I'm being very negative, and that isn't my intention at all. I love this car, and if I can sort out the front end it'll be unbeatable!
I too came from a MR2 but to a 2.8 and it does take a bit of getting use to the handling, its nowhere as sure footed as the MR2 even with Eagle F1's, but you soon get used to it.5 years + and I still have mine
skinny

M roadster S50

Post by skinny »

Good to see that you got the best colour :wink: hope you enjoy cleaning
Pete_M

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Pete_M »

Muppet, yes it was Mike F's thread that inspired me re the Powerflex bushes... I've gone the whole hog and got the E30/36 M3 offset jobbies (PFF5-303L); this might be a mistake from a diagnostic point of view since I'll be introducing a deliberate geometry change, but we'll see...

Gazza, the fronts are Dunlop SP Sport Maxx, no mention of 8800 or 8080 or 8 anything, so they ain't getting thrown! :P

Les, apart from the tramlining and general vagueness in the straight-ahead position, I'm actually quite pleased with the handling; there seems to be good grip generally, and once I've sorted out the initial turn-in, the balance and poise of the car is fine. I think your experience with the Michelins was something different to what I'm getting.
Alex L wrote: no point wasting money
Alex, that's the sort of positive mental attitude I like! :D

Geoff, yeah the Mr2 was an accomplished and underrated car in my view. But I'm getting used to the Zed and I've no regrets; if I can sharpen up the front end a bit there's nothing I'd miss, and it has so much more to offer.

Oh, and to skinny... yeah, black looks fabulous when it's newly polished, but pop down to Tescos and back and it looks like you've just done the Paris-Dakar! But I can live with that... :D
c_w

M roadster S50

Post by c_w »

Pete_M wrote:Muppet, yes it was Mike F's thread that inspired me re the Powerflex bushes... I've gone the whole hog and got the E30/36 M3 offset jobbies (PFF5-303L); this might be a mistake from a diagnostic point of view since I'll be introducing a deliberate geometry change, but we'll see...
Make sure you get the tracking adjusted afterwards as it will probably be out. Biggest change IMO is by fitting ///M top mounts which are about £65 each from a BMW dealer. These do fit a non-M Z3 strut fine but the only problem is that sometimes the spring can rub the inner arch since it moves the strut back and very close; the Z3M springs and springpans are a smaller diameter. If you're interested in doing this at some point I have some Z3M front dampers and a full Z3M spring set spare which will fit fine.
Alex L

Other roadster

Post by Alex L »

garythefish wrote:Thats why your car didnt like corners Alex :lol: :lol:

Gazza.
Didn't mind corners, I just entered them too fast and screeched my way round.