Hi all - new member with pics

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Hi all - new member with pics

Post by Sp1key »

Hi everyone;

New Z3 owner and new member to this forum, had a good look through the posts and the forum looks really helpful.

Anyway have bought a really nice 1997 1.9 Z3, not sure of the colour its dark blue metalic but looks a bit indigo / purple in the sun?, here are some pics:

Its had a new roof (though the window is cloudy) and considering its done 122k its pristine inside and outside, with very good paint.

It drives very well, though Im going to give it a good service as I dont think its breathing as well as it could.

Some silly questions you may be able to help with:

When I start to take the roof down, after about 12 inches or so I meet a lot of resistence and have to push hard for it to continue to go down - is this normal or should I be doing something to ease the task (a button/leaver etc.?)

Service - is there undercovers fitted that need to be removed to get at the oil filter - or even better is there a service guide on here ?

Do the HT leads need replacing on these often or is it best to leave well alone if they are doing their job?

I used to have a Z4 (before the kids went to Uni - bank of mum n dad lol) but before I sold kept the split rim 18" 108 wheels - will these fit the Z3 without any probs? Anyone have them on, and any pics?

What are the typical Z3 problems I can expect to come across - dont hold back I've just sold an MR2 so Im used to problems ha ha

Anyway enough questions for now - looking forward to having some fun with this

Regards

Mike
Attachments
Z3 PIC2.jpg
Z3 PIC2.jpg (48.24 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Z3 PIC5.jpg
Z3 PIC5.jpg (54.96 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Z3 PIC6.jpg
Z3 PIC6.jpg (40.71 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Z3 PIC11.jpg
Z3 PIC11.jpg (46.79 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
Z3 PIC12.jpg
Z3 PIC12.jpg (44.98 KiB) Viewed 2503 times
peterandjenny

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by peterandjenny »

Welcome to the forum , all non m z4 wheels will fit a z3 , we have z4 wheels on ours in the winter .
Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Welcome to the Forum :wink:

If your roof is electric, you need to keep your foot on the brake and keep the button depressed.
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

Hi and welcome Sp1key :D
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

If your roof is not electric you can help the drop by pushing the roof lining down between the roof bars, ie make the fold tidy. I had a 1.9 and never had a problem with it. oil services are the best treatment and fit a K+N exposed filter to make it sound and breathe better. :wink:
Robert T
Site Admin

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: z

Post by Robert T »

hornel Z3M wrote:If your roof is not electric you can help the drop by pushing the roof lining down between the roof bars, ie make the fold tidy.
A 1997 won't have a roof lining unless it has been retrofitted. :wink:

It sounds like a car with an electric roof, which has perhaps had the valve released in the boot to allow it to be operated manually. Easiest way to tell is does it have an up/down switch for the roof either on the front console below the heater and vent controls, or in the little panel between the seat backrests. If no switch is apparent, check in the boot behind the left-hand side trim - if there is a large silver cylinder with a reservoir attached to it, you have a leccy roof.

Welcome to the forum BTW.

Cheers R.
Arctic Silver '99 Z3 1.9 & Black '59 Frogeye 1275cc
hornel Z3M

blank

z

Post by hornel Z3M »

Ok i meant the roof fabric
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Thanks chaps

Was going to take the zed out this weekend and have a good poke around but decided to leave it in the garage coz of the snow!

Fou d the oil filter canister doh, went and bought the removal tool and servicing items so will do that next weekend 

No switches in the cabin that are unaccounted for and the cd stacker is in the way of getting the side panel off in the boot, but don't think it's a leccy roof, but will try and remove the panel next week to be sure

Does everyone always replace the copper washer on the sump plug?

Bring on the summer 
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Lovely standard, unmolested Zed with a very clean interior by the looks of things. Nice to see the original wheels on a Zed too! :P

In your first post, you mentioned that you didn't know thew colour - its Montreal Blue.

Just lose the air freshner and it'll be perfect! :head:

Good luck with the car....and welcome to the forum! :wink:
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
G2JRP

M roadster S50

Post by G2JRP »

Looks a nice at. My first zed was that colour, it looks great when the sun shines. I have seen 108 alloys on the zed and they look very good.
ImageImageImage

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

Hi Mike

Welcome to forum. I acquired my Z3 (1998, 1.9 M44 engine, 17 inch wheels) last June and I have been working my way through a small list of renovations to get it back to original condition as far as is reasonably possible. The things I’ve encountered are:-

• Tram-lining - seems to be a common mention and some people eradicate with tyre pressure adjustment.
• Slight seat movement back and forth (worn bushes). Cure mentioned on this forum.
• Sticking/slow electric windows - requires removal of door card and good lubrication.
• I had a slight damp issue in the boot – cured by a new aerial grommet.
• The rubber boot between the MAF sensor and inlet manifold on lots of cars is prone to perishing with age and so can let in “un-metered” air. If you have the M44 1.9 engine this can be exacerbated by the rubber branch that comes off this boot which splits into 4 small hoses that feed air to the 4 injectors. The hoses just harden and split with age. Replacement requires removal of the upper manifold – not difficult.
• The textbook advice is to replace the copper washer under the sump bolt with each oil change. I must admit that I never bother; I just wipe it clean and reuse it. I have never encountered an oil leak on the numerous cars I’ve had over the years.
• The 1.9 engine is said to be a tough and reliable engine. I’m sure others on the forum will agree – BMWs like good quality, fully synthetic engine oil of the correct viscosity.
• I have talked to a senior BMW technician about replacing the HT leads and he told me that he’s never needed to replace a set. The OEM ones are high quality made (I believe) by Bremi. I tested the resistance on mine with a simple hand held meter and it was consistent and correct at around 5k ohms.
• If you have a manual soft top I agree with what Hornel Z3M said. I find the top just needs a little bit of help folding at times.
• There are products on the market to help with the cloudy rear window. Mine wasn’t too bad and I’ve cleaned it with some stuff called Greygate.

My own research i.e. talking to mechanics etc. leads me to believe Z3s are tough, reliable little cars that don’t seem to have any particular, serious in-built faults. The build quality seems very good to me.

Derek, North Somerset
Sp1key

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by Sp1key »

Thanks folks for all of your kind comments, and Derek this is a useful list of hints you have put together, thanks, recognise the seat shifting problem on mine and the boot smells a bit damp too so will investigate

Will do the service this weekend hoverer based on Derek's recommendation for fully synthetic oil I may have to change the stuff I have bought - I have 10-40 semi synthetic which was what Halfrauds recommended - is this no use then? If not is it 5-40 fully synthetic I should be using?

I have a service book but no handbook to check myself

Regards

Mike
Del

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Del »

I don’t know your precise model but I would say you require something like fully synthetic 5W-40 engine oil. You can do a check on the Mobil and Castrol sites. Many drivers have strong views about oils and brands and so I wouldn’t be as bold as to recommend a particular brand on this site. Personally, I am happy with the less famous brands (at lower prices) as long as it has a rating such as the above. My own view is that frequent changes are more important than a precise brand.