02 Z3 3.0 Sport - progress

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

02 Z3 3.0 Sport - progress

Post by ShinyDave »

After four years of ownership and hitting her 10th birthday its time for me to give my beloved Zed some badly needed attention.

Shes needs:
1 New wheels (arriving tomorrow)
2 Interior roof frame painted (paint flaking)
3 New carpets (in the post)
4 Drivers seat touched up with liquid leather
5 New BMW Sport aerial fitted
6 Steering wheel retrimmed (stitching starting to go and a few scratches from the other halfs diamonds!!! (found a German company on ebay that do a leather/alacantra with M stitching for £135 exchange)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-Z3-M3-M-P ... 3cc1386cb7
7 New illuminated gear knob (existing one tatty)
8 A few minor dents removed
9 Hood cleaned and reproofed (just enough Renovo left to do the job)
10 Find some white bulbs for the headlights to better match LED - did I see someone here with a conversion kit fitted for £50 or so?
11 Lower her
12 Give her a good lather up and rub down - bought an AutoGlym clay package to try out

As she is now:

LED side lights arrived today

BMW Sport aerial (£22)
More pics to follow in the next few days with her new boots on :) - 18" LM replicas from Mark at BMAutosport
2002 3.0 Sport in Sterling Grey with full red/black leather

shantybeater

Porsche

Re: 02 Z3 3.0 Sport - progress

Post by shantybeater »

Great color combo, the sidelights look good, usually photos make them seem dull?

PS got the same aerial, great mod but useless at picking up reception! Lucky the radio is barely used!
Progress Thread:http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopi ... 32&t=36117
Previous - S54 M Roadster, S50 M Roadster, Ibiza Cupra IHI 340bhp, Ibiza Cupra K04 270bhp, 6n2 Polo GTi
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

ShinyDave wrote:10 Find some white bulbs for the headlights to better match LED - did I see someone here with a conversion kit fitted for £50 or so?
You can get a xenon HID kit like this which will match up with the sidelights and really improve your vision at night. A lot of people will advise against fitting aftermarket xenon HID's and reckon they won't pass the new MOT rules but so far no one has had any problems and the garage where I take mine for MOT says they will pass with them on. Make sure they are aligned correctly and you won't dazzle oncoming traffic, but if you do the swap without removing the headlamps they should be correctly aligned anyway.
ShinyDave wrote:More pics to follow in the next few days with her new boots on :) - 18" LM replicas from Mark at BMAutosport
Can't wait to see them, great choice of wheels 8-) Did you go for a staggered set up?
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

g8jka wrote:
ShinyDave wrote:10 Find some white bulbs for the headlights to better match LED - did I see someone here with a conversion kit fitted for £50 or so?
You can get a xenon HID kit like this which will match up with the sidelights and really improve your vision at night. A lot of people will advise against fitting aftermarket xenon HID's and reckon they won't pass the new MOT rules but so far no one has had any problems and the garage where I take mine for MOT says they will pass with them on. Make sure they are aligned correctly and you won't dazzle oncoming traffic, but if you do the swap without removing the headlamps they should be correctly aligned anyway.
Is that a fairly easy fit? Looks tempting as I like the shape of the original lens but want a white headlight (not blue or yellow).
g8jka wrote:Can't wait to see them, great choice of wheels 8-) Did you go for a staggered set up?
Wheels arrived and looking very nice - went for 8.5 225 up front and 9.5 255 out back - looking forward to getting them on tomorrow :)

Amz

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by Amz »

ShinyDave wrote:
g8jka wrote:
Is that a fairly easy fit? Looks tempting as I like the shape of the original lens but want a white headlight (not blue or yellow).
g8jka wrote:Can't wait to see them, great choice of wheels 8-) Did you go for a staggered set up?
Wheels arrived and looking very nice - went for 8.5 225 up front and 9.5 255 out back - looking forward to getting them on tomorrow :)
Good choice of wheels :) im looking to get a set myself

I see you went for the wider staggered setup, Are these a direct fit on the Z3? Mark mentions on his site that the wider set will require some arch rolling.

be great to know how you got along with these :)

thanks

Amz
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

ShinyDave wrote:Is that a fairly easy fit? Looks tempting as I like the shape of the original lens but want a white headlight (not blue or yellow).
Yes they have a ballast with wires coming out to the bulb and the other wires plug into the original loom, then you just put the bulbs into the original holes. Pretty simple and straight forward and if you get a 4300k kit I think they are pure white. Mine are 6000k and have a hint of blue.
ShinyDave wrote:Wheels arrived and looking very nice - went for 8.5 225 up front and 9.5 255 out back - looking forward to getting them on tomorrow :)
They are wider than mine by half and inch but the tyres are the same size. What are the offsets? They should look great on your car :D
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Amz wrote:Good choice of wheels :) im looking to get a set myself

I see you went for the wider staggered setup, Are these a direct fit on the Z3? Mark mentions on his site that the wider set will require some arch rolling.

be great to know how you got along with these :)

thanks

Amz
Wheels fitted and Im very pleased - perhaps the rear could do with a slightly wider tyre to make the rim less proud but overall im very happy.

LM replicas from Mark at BM Autosport
Front - 18"x8.5" et38 225/40
Rear - 18"x9.5" et43 255/35

No arch rolling required

Before
After

ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

g8jka wrote:Yes they have a ballast with wires coming out to the bulb and the other wires plug into the original loom, then you just put the bulbs into the original holes. Pretty simple and straight forward and if you get a 4300k kit I think they are pure white. Mine are 6000k and have a hint of blue.
Think its worth a go for the price - Why are they frowned upon? Am I going to be blinding people?

Prob go for 4300k for an OEM look. Hope they will blend with the LED sidelights.

Ferdinand

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Ferdinand »

Nice new wheels!!
Ferdinand

BMW 3.0iA Sport Edition 08/2002 - iPod kit, CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger & Protek Protector Roof Cover ;o)
Range Rover 4.6 V8 HSE 03/2000, Webasto preheater and CTEK MXS 7000 batterycharger
Citroën Xsara 2.0 110 Hdi Prestige hatchback with VTS alloys, Musketier rear spoiler and Webasto preheater
Volvo 144 1.8 B18 09/1967

http://www.zroadster.org
http://www.zroadster.net
http://www.z3-roadster-forum.de
http://www.z3-forum.de
http://www.zroadster.com
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Stubby aerial is going back to the dealers - reception was very poor. Decided I like the original one - especially when its bending over at ....aahhhemm..... speed :)

Rover single CD player (with an ///M wheel sticker covering the Rover logo) fitted today to replace the BMW cassette player - cost me £70 inc sticker. Planning to remove the CD changer to give me more boot space then maybe a DICE if I get bored swapping CDs.

New gear gaitor fitted (handbrake to be done this weekend).

Pics to follow.

OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

I bought a stubby aerial off Ebay and it can only pick up a signal on my drive...as soon as I'm moving it turns to hiss.

I love those wheels you've put on, could be tempted myself once I've sorted all the other bits 'n' pieces out on mine. Just replaced the exhaust camshaft sensor on my 3.0 and now it finally goes like I thought a 3.0 litre should, no dash lights to warn of the issue either, so it was bought like this. Code readers/INPA software well worthwhile Z3 upgrade IMHO. :)

Have you got the new steering wheel yet as I fancy a thicker rim than the M style one on mine? Be interested in some pictures if you have got it.
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Gave the alloys a good clean and AutoGlym EGP polish.

Rover CD player fitted no problem - very happy with it. Glad to see my cassette player go !!!!!!!!!!

New gear and handbrake gaitor fitted - need to glue them to the plastic frame for a longer lasting fit.

Havent got round to the steering wheel refurb yet - think a brushed aluminium engraved \\\M Storm gear knob will come first :)

Wheel im going for:

From these guys: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/LEDERRAEDERoEU ... 4340.l2563

Gave the exhaust tips a polish but I think they are going to need replaced as they didnt come up too good - anyone know where to get them?

jj29

blank.gif

Re: 02 Z3 3.0 Sport - progress - Steering Wheel

Post by jj29 »

Try Jack at Royalsteeringwheels (google)

I visited him on Wednesday night, and am delighted with the wheel he fitted for me..... I paid the paypal on Sunday night, and by wednesday pm I'm enjoying a whole new experience.....
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Re: 02 Z3 3.0 Sport - progress - Steering Wheel

Post by ShinyDave »

jj29 wrote:Try Jack at Royalsteeringwheels (google)

I visited him on Wednesday night, and am delighted with the wheel he fitted for me..... I paid the paypal on Sunday night, and by wednesday pm I'm enjoying a whole new experience.....
Can I ask how much you paid jj?

Any pics to share? :)

ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

Almost forgot - I fitted a new bonnet badge - the old one had a splodge of black stuff to stop it vibrating I guess - should I do the same with the new one? if so - whats the best thing to use?

OldskoolRS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by OldskoolRS »

A small amount of silicon sealant should do the job without risking paint damage.
ShinyDave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by ShinyDave »

OldskoolRS wrote:A small amount of silicon sealant should do the job without risking paint damage.
Cheers will try that this weekend.

Storm gear knob arrived today and I'm well pleased with it - pics to follow.

Ed from Furniture Clinic coming on Tuesday to work wonders on my leather - based on the pics on the website I'm expecting great results. I'm going to lose the textured finish of the Oregon leather on the bolsters but I don't mind.

jj29

blank.gif

Post by jj29 »

About £120 incl. fitting. There are some pics on his site... If I get the chance over the weekend, I'll take some myself...
Jones67

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jones67 »

Hi stunning car looks great, did you have any trouble with removing the steering wheel and fitting the replacement from ebay? would like to get
the same steering wheel myself as mine has a cover on it due to wear, I'm not sure my steering wheel is the same as the ones in the listing the difference being it's a there spoke but the bottom one is a double spoke if you know what I mean.
Last edited by Jones67 on Sun 12 Aug, 2012 09:50, edited 1 time in total.
Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

I have that steering wheel :D feels lovely when driving
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
Jones67

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Jones67 »

Z3cade wrote:I have that steering wheel :D feels lovely when driving
Which one the one from eBay or the one I have?