Dallans Build Thread | On its fat arse! *lower and wider*

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(BE WARNED: Pic heavy).

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:I have 4 predrilled 6mm bolt holes along the edge which fits under the bumper. They even have a recess for the heads of the bolts cast into the splitter. They sent me a total of 8 bolts which were 30mm longer than they needed to be, and nylock nuts with large flat washers to go on the nut side and prevent the nut being pulled through the plastic of the buper..I must say I'm a little puzzled by the pic you've posted. Thery are indeed identical, but without the pre-cast holes...I would query that with them, they may have sent you a dud set ?? I'll take a pic of the underside of mine to show you the very well made recess etc.
Self tapping screws would def not hold. They would flap about I think. The washers they sent me had 6mm holes, but an OD of around 30mm. The bolt heads are hemispherical and large too, so they provide a good seat for the outer clamping points on the splitter. They do fit very well though.
Cheers for the info :)

I don't think the ones they supplied are a dud set as they're shown on their e-bay listing without the predrilled holes,

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CARBON-FIBER- ... 3a80066c1d

This is a pic of the otherside which shows the hole recesses and you just need to drill a hole through, there is a guide mark so you know where too drill,

Some pics would be good please, I'm just curious if you used bolts how you fastened them on the inside of the bumper without removal? if they're not self tapping? hence why I was thinking self tapping screws. The carbon splitters on my old 1 Series were fitted by BMW using the existing self tapping screws under the bumper.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Those are the recesses for the bolt heads..You will need to drill them through. Fitting isn't easy without removing the bumper, but not impossible. You will need to remove the splash guard (6 x self tappers) and the grill, which kinda supports the bumper and gets in the way of sliding your hand into the back of the bumper. I drilled 1 hole - the one closest to the center of the bumper - while a mate held the splitter in position along the line of the bumper. Then superglued the nylock nut to the large flat washer so that I could slide the nut and washer into the tight area of the inner bumper without having to try to hold each one in such a tight area, I centered the bonded nut and washer with a thin screwdriver to the drilled hole, and then lifted the splitter with bolt up to the nut through the hole and tightened it up fairly tightly. Once that one bolt was in, the other 3 were a piece of cake. The one I did first is the most difficult to access as the further you go towards the wheel side, the more room there is to work in. I did have to trim a couple of the washers with a hack saw so they would be able to position far enough in to allow the hole to line up...they are about 30mm OD washers which they sent me... I repeated the same on the other side, and used the position of the first splitter I fitted as the offset for the second splitter....ie. the splitter doesn't line up wth the adge of the wheel arch when fitted correctly, it's aprox 25mm "short" of the edge, so you'll need to accurately fit the first one, and then measure the offset from the splitter to the wheel arch / bodywork..and match it accurately on the second splitter so they are identically positioned.
Here is a pic of the bolts...not great pics, but you'll get the idea. Oh, and use nylck nuts...you don't want things coming adrift... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
BIG DAVE

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by BIG DAVE »

splitters look good, me thinks a bit expensive are they carbon fibre or plastic lookalikes. like the daytime running lights on the car where can you get them 8-)
bigD
BigD
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

The splitters I fitted are Fiberglass...Bought off eBay from "raven_racing" or "racing_raven"...
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

the splitters wouldnt really go with the "scene" that im trending towards.

Really do want to keep the "origiinal" kinda feel going...
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Boot now fully smoothed and deleted everything.

Solenoid rigged up to boot and button placed into cockpit.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

SCHEDULE

Day 1: Wash and Clay.
Day 2: Machine Polish (Cutting).
Day 3: Machine Polish (Polish).
Day 4: Machine Polish (Wax).
Day 5: Final detail.

Day 6: Drive to Show 'n' Shine.

PRODUCTS BEING USED

Meguiars G220 V2 Machine Polisher (with x3 different pads at 6"-7").
Snow Foam from Karcher V2.
Dyson DC35 Animal.
Race Glaze Clay (V1 followed by V2).
Meguiars new Ultimate Shampoo (yellow stuff).
Autoglym Glass Polish.
Autoglym Fast Glass.
Meguiars Hot Wheels.
Poorboys Wheel Sealant.
Autoglym Trim Gloss.
Meguiars *83
Meguiars *105
Megiuars *205
Meguiars Scratch-X
Meguiars High Endurance Shine
Meguiars Ultimate Compound
Meguiars Speed Detail
Autoglym Leather Cleaner
Autoglym Leather Feed
Autoglym Odour Neutraliser
Autoglym Fresh Spray

Pictures will be posted as the week advances.
Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

"Far canal" as some of my Aussie freinds would say!!! that's some treatment...and a heap of prepping!! Good luck mate.. :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

Pierrick

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Pierrick »

It's going to be a happy car!
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

AS PROMISED....

HERE ARE A COUPLE OF UPDATE PICTURES FROM THE PENULTIMATE DAY.....

THE FINAL GLOSS AND HIGH BUFF WILL BE COMPLETED BY TOMORROW MORNING READY FOR THE SHOW'N'SHINE IN PETERBOROUGH SHOWGROUND FOR THIS weekend.

its made top 50 show cars so fingers crossed for me guys!!!!

comments welcome!
Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Well done...that is a really well polished car...and good luck!
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Just wanting to say thanks for all the "good luck" messages for the show this weekend.

I managed to bag a sponsorship with a detailing company and got a great deal on some new hydraulic suspension which will be fitted within the next 4 months.

I also got into Players Classic weekend after next in the Goodwood in Plymouth (I think its Plymouth).

I WELCOME ALL COMMENTS (GOOD AND BAD).

Please note that the second picture (upside-down picture) is infact a reflection in my bonnet.

Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Congrats! Great pics too... :wink:
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Thank-you very much.
Dallan |07712 415 619

macca

Z4 sDrive20i M Sport

Post by macca »

Very impressive. Can you come and do mine... :D
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Now booked in for Hydraulic Suspension.

front Splitter also ordered.
Dallan |07712 415 619

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Which splitter are you getting?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Nice car!

But I hope you're not going to put those two piece splitters on it! The front bumper looks clean as is man.
ImageImageImage
jessicafay28

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by jessicafay28 »

Good Luck!
Gorgeous car and I think the sweets really are the finishing touch :)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

jessicafay28 wrote:Good Luck!
Gorgeous car and I think the sweets really are the finishing touch :)

HA, thanks! - My favourite of them all!
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(BE WARNED: Pic heavy). *HYDRAUL

Post by dallantan »

Well....last night I have left my car in the welcoming hands of Ray Ramsey @ Rayvern Hydraulics.

He will be working on my Z3 for approximately 7-10 days to fit Hydraulic Suspension and complete a truly custom boot build.

Pics to follow.
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(latest addtition, pics as promi

Post by dallantan »

Latest addtition, pics as promised...

Comments welcome...
Dallan |07712 415 619

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...latest addition...pics as promis

Post by BladeRunner919 »

I think someone stole your suspension while you were in Londis!
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Looks very....you need to de-badge the side gills too... (fit some skateboards under the car and lose the suspension completely..... :roflmao: )
"Normal is overrated"

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

If I put it on skateboards, its be too high ;)
Dallan |07712 415 619

BladeRunner919

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by BladeRunner919 »

Are the fog lights just painted yellow?
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

No, I have wrapped these in yellow film :)
Dallan |07712 415 619

barbancourt

Not specified

Post by barbancourt »

Looked 1000x better with the old rims, IMO.
ImageImageImage
markhinton

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by markhinton »

Looks awesome, do you rear indicators flash amber or red? I put lamin x over mine and it made them flash red. No amber or green bulbs helped the problem, wondering if you have the solution?
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

They still flash a "kind of" orange haha!! The passed the MOT though :)
Dallan |07712 415 619

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Great work on the shine but it would look 1000 times better on standard suspension :?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
DomS

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by DomS »

So, put the old wheels back on for a 1000 times better, the old suspension for another 1000 times better (that's a million times better already!).

Then just put the badges and chrome bits back and you'll have a car that's nearly finished :)

I do like a slightly modified car, but that's just a tad too much IMOFDO.

Anyway, I salute your enthusiasm and great work on the polishing, so don't worry about us old fuddy duddies :wink:
janijoeli

M roadster S50

Post by janijoeli »

I quite like your car Dallan... And the rims in their unusualness are simply awesome. :D

I cannot see my own car going this direction anytime soon, but nevertheless your Z is very good looking, very unique, and a result of massive effort... and I bet a lot of thinking as well. It would have never ever even crossed my mind to put such wheels on a Z3, and even after seeing them on yours it took a good while to "accept" them if you know what I mean. But after getting over the initial "those are not BMW, ACS or BBS wheels" phase, they actually look damn good. They make the whole car look like a completely different beast. Btw which wheels are they? (UPDATE: nevermind, I just read your sig... :wink: )

I haven't seen too many well executed Z3 show cars out there. Keep up the good work. :thumb:
Valle_fora

BMW other

Post by Valle_fora »

Intersting thread and nice look, I am surprised how much that amount of lowering transformed the look of the car! Looks like an arrow.

I am also very impressed by your detailing, great result! :shock:
Looking for (and dreaming of) a Z3 :-)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

YO!!

Morning everyone!

Firstly, apologising for my lack of posting recently (reason is that the Beamer has been in storage and I've been planning for 2014's show season).

Anyway, she is finally out, had a bath last week and has 6 months of "show season tax".

New additions:

Custom Spacers (for an improved stance)
Personal Reg Plate
American Rear Plate Tub (thanks Zii)
Illest rear plate surround
Custom rear plate.

News for 2014:

Just made into top 350 show cars for Players, I have a photoshoot this Saturday with a "top" snapper and you must all keep your eyes out for PBMW in June ;)
Dallan |07712 415 619

chill4x4saph

M roadster S54

Post by chill4x4saph »

barbancourt wrote:Looked 1000x better with the old rims, IMO.
I agree!
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallans Build Thread | On its fat arse! *lower and wider

Post by dallantan »

Tough ;) Those wheels will be going on the other convertible.
Dallan |07712 415 619

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Those wheels are nasty Dallan.. I think you should give them to me
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Z3cade wrote:Those wheels are nasty Dallan.. I think you should give them to me
Sorry mate, I'm worried you'll stick them on your 15 seater!
Dallan |07712 415 619

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

They would look better on it :P
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Z3cade wrote:They would look better on it :P
You'd look better on www.replica-seat-vw-wannabe-7-seater-club.org
Dallan |07712 415 619