Dallans Build Thread | On its fat arse! *lower and wider*

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Dallans Build Thread | On its fat arse! *lower and wider*

Post by dallantan »

Ok...so I bought the car of a member from here a few months back.

She has currently got 53,000 miles on her 2.2i block...

100% standard... (and IMMACULATE).

Plans...

1) Dark Carbon Badges all round
2) Coilovers
3) Deep 17" - 18" Wheels
4) Clearing Indicators
5) Upgraded Sound
6) De-badging
7) A lot more blackness...
8) A lot more euro...

Keep posted...more to come 8-)

This is her...

Last edited by dallantan on Tue 11 Mar, 2014 10:03, edited 11 times in total.
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
chrisp_1

M roadster S50

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...

Post by chrisp_1 »

Some clever photography there mate 8-)

Keep it simple with any mods is my advice, don't spoil it.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Thanks mate...

...it is going to be very low-key modification...

(i.e. simple smoothing).
Dallan |07712 415 619

OZ Breyton 3-Piece Splits (17x9 & 17x12), Rayvern Hydraulics, Custom Top Mounts, Bespoke Hubcentric Spacers, Strutbrace, Aero Wipers, Wind Deflector, PiperX Air Filter, Deleted Plate Recess, Deleted Front Badge, Smoothed Boot, Continental Fogs, All Red Rears, Cleaned Bulbs (all round), Stubby Aerial, Black Grills, Halo Projector Lights, Components Upgrade, Clifford 5104x Intellistart Alarm, Custom Boot Install.
PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

looks more like you have been buffing a bit to hard after a good polish.......... :D
nice pics
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

PCSAM wrote:looks more like you have been buffing a bit to hard after a good polish.......... :D
nice pics

HAHAHAHA!! - now you mention it, it does look a bit like that....

.....guess i edited them a bit tooooo much!!
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(Pic heavy).

Post by dallantan »

Ok, so today I spent the day "de-cluttering" the front and rear...

1st picture shows the be-dadging of the rear
2nd and 3rd picture shows de-reg plating and balckening of the grills!!

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

So.....£10.50 later and two days of postage waiting.....

here is my latest addition...

Dallan |07712 415 619

resunoiz

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by resunoiz »

Image nice car and nice cat :D :lol:
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ha thanks...

these are the look for the new wheels I have just bought

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

And here is a picture of my Polystyrene Coilovers :D :D

ImageImage
Dallan |07712 415 619

stupot50

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Just a question, but aren't your new plates illegal?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Yes, yes they are!!

Same as not having a front reg plate.....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

dallantan wrote:Yes, yes they are!!

Same as not having a front reg plate.....

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
sorry mate your rear plate is illegal and you will get a pull from the boys in blue ....
black plates like your rear are only allowed for cars before 1972 ?
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Yeah, I am aware of the legal conformaties etc etc although the police around here are very very leniant...

...i am fortuante to even have a Ford Focus police car follow me all the way to work this morning behond me in traffic and not even look twice.... :D :D :D
Dallan |07712 415 619

markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

I think you will struggle to get your wheels to fit properly, especially with coilovers on the front. the tyres/wheel rims normally clash with the spring/platform and need spacing.
Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

I understand what you are saying and appreciate the input although I do not think this will be a problem because of the whole suspension setup being thinner??

[DT_Photography] 07712 415 619.
Dallan |07712 415 619

markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

No, it isn't like that. (i have had coilovers on my Z3)

the spring platform and spring are lower and longer than the standard shocks, so the clash with the tyre/rim. on a standard wheel you normally need around a 5mm spacer to clear the clash
Still modifying
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

not that clear a picture but see below

Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

hmm.....i now understand...

i shall check my wheels now but surely due to the offset, the wheels are oging outwards and not inwards...
Dallan |07712 415 619

JamesRowe

blank

Post by JamesRowe »

Dude I said that to you before you installed them haha. Stand wheels have such low offset, when you've slammed the fronts, the camber makes the wheels at the top to poke right in like / \ << that lol.

So as they go in, the will touch the suspension (whether its thinner or not). On standard rims I had to put 5mm spacers on there to clear (with a nats penis it just about did!)
markrnorton

Other roadster

Post by markrnorton »

JamesRowe wrote:Dude I said that to you before you installed them haha. Stand wheels have such low offset, when you've slammed the fronts, the camber makes the wheels at the top to poke right in like / \ << that lol.

So as they go in, the will touch the suspension (whether its thinner or not). On standard rims I had to put 5mm spacers on there to clear (with a nats penis it just about did!)
Thats not quite right, as the angle face of the hub relative to the shock does not alter with camber adjustment. So the wheel/shock interface angle is static, wheel offset is the only factor with respect to the potential 'clash'.
Still modifying
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Coilovers fitted....

here is the front pic (with standard wheels...)

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Ok, so after decided not to spend well over £100 of a fully fitted outdoor cover...

...i bought this cheapo waterproof one off some chap off eGay for £13 brand new.

It is really good quality and despite having to be put on back to front to ensure stability....it really is quite good!!

Dallan |07712 415 619

Zedbedee

Z3 roadster 2.0

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(Pic heavy). COVERED AND LOW

Post by Zedbedee »

Sorry, I'm going to get a bit off topic!
I expect it's clearly explained on this site somewhere but forgive me for being a bit thick about this but how do you get pictures into a post like this one? A few good pictures really make a post but I've struggled to do it many times.
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

That's ok...you need to upload the pics to www.photobucket.com first then just copy the link direct into your post...

Dallan |07712 415 619

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

You and me should have worked together on ours, we've pretty much done the same things over the last few weeks :lol:

My wheels fouled my dampers on the front after fitting the coilovers - 6mm spacers sorted it.

And be careful with that cover, unless it fits very well, ie no movement, you'll find that the slightest bit of dust or dirt trapped between the cover and your paintwork added to anything just over a breeze and it will be like wet and dry :shock: Corners of your wing mirrors will go first. I had this happen to a car of mine once, it was a decent cover I bought from Argos - still did it. IMO only use these covers on a perfectly clean car in a garage. Overwise you'll do more damage than leaving the car out to the elements :?
2006 Lotus Exige S
2006 535d M-Sport Touring (the Missus car)
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Yeah we should have really.

What are you doing tonight? - Do you fancy coming over to have a look at my coils and giving me your professional advice?
Dallan |07712 415 619

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

dallantan wrote:Yeah we should have really.

What are you doing tonight? - Do you fancy coming over to have a look at my coils and giving me your professional advice?
LOL trust me I'm far from a professional! I'm pretty useless with car mechanics, wherever possible I pay other people to work on mine. I gave my car to Carnetix to them remember! :D As for popping over I could do, we could compare progress, get ideas and stuff :) I'll have to play it by ear though, quite busy with work :? PM me your address and phone number
2006 Lotus Exige S
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

My mobile number is in Signature....sent me a message ;) ;)

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(Pic heavy). DISHES GALOOOORE!

Post by dallantan »

Anyway...

...here are my new wheels (slammed)...

Spec:

Front DARE RS (17" x8.5J) ET15 wrapped in 205/40/17"
Rear DARE RS (17" x10J) ET20 wrapped in 225/45/17"

ENJOY

Dallan |07712 415 619

M@r]{

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by M@r]{ »

Holy tyre stretch Batman :wink:

Looks really good buddy, that style of wheel goes really well 8-)

Oh by the way, some trampy fcuker has disposed of their Carlsberg bottle top in one of your wheels :nerd:
2006 Lotus Exige S
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

M@r]{ wrote:Holy tyre stretch Batman :wink:

Looks really good buddy, that style of wheel goes really well 8-)

Oh by the way, some trampy fcuker has disposed of their Carlsberg bottle top in one of your wheels :nerd:

hahahaha thanks mann!! see you next sayurday ;)
Dallan |07712 415 619

Daz3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Daz3 »

Looking good been looking forward to seeing them wheels on. I take it your selection of slabs is to aid in getting a jack under the sill? :D
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

You got it in 1 haha.

Ps, thanks for your input :) realyl appreciated :D

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(Pic heavy). ***WHEELS ON***

Post by dallantan »

Well last Monday, the Z-S went into the bodyshop to have the following "changed"/spruced...

New Radiator (to look shiney)
Smoohthed Front Badge
Blacker Kidney Grills
Smoothed Reg Plate Holes
Yellow Continental Fogs
Halo/Projector Headlights (black)

She should come out on Weds/Thurs so will post pics soon...
Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(Pic heavy). ***VERY SMOOTH***

Post by dallantan »

well, as promised, here are pictures...

COMMENTS WELCOME.....
Dallan |07712 415 619

martyb

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by martyb »

hey man your car is looking insanely good! :shock:

Did you do the badge smoothing yourself?
what model of grill is that aswell looks really menacing. :)

I wouldnt normally be a fan of those style of wheels but on yours they suit it well.

Kudos on the hard work!
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

martyb wrote:hey man your car is looking insanely good! :shock:

Did you do the badge smoothing yourself?
what model of grill is that aswell looks really menacing. :)

I wouldnt normally be a fan of those style of wheels but on yours they suit it well.

Kudos on the hard work!

thanks martyb :) :)

i really appreciate the comments.

yeah, all the smoothing work was completed myself - it was standard when i bought it :) :)

the gril is a standard sport grill matted black.
Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Finally!...I like the "smoothed look"... the finish is immaculate...and it's really really low...well done Dallantan!!
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Southernboy wrote:Finally!...I like the "smoothed look"... the finish is immaculate...and it's really really low...well done Dallantan!!

thanks mann!!

im really happy with her now.

next is boot solenoid to smooth the third brakelight, badge and boot popper.
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

car is looking really good mate ..... the smooth look and those dust-caps :shock: :shock: ..............
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

PCSAM wrote:car is looking really good mate ..... the smooth look and those dust-caps :shock: :shock: ..............

HAHAHHAHA, dont you like my dice???? :O :O
Dallan |07712 415 619

PCSAM

blank

Post by PCSAM »

dallantan wrote:
PCSAM wrote:car is looking really good mate ..... the smooth look and those dust-caps :shock: :shock: ..............

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

PCSAM wrote:
dallantan wrote:

IM WETTING MYSELF WITH LAUGHTER.......(on my own)!!!!!!!!!!
Dallan |07712 415 619

Z3cade

M roadster S50

Post by Z3cade »

Looks great 8-) Love the yellow fogs, a great euro look..
///M Roadster - Evolve Stage 3
dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Post by dallantan »

Thanks mann!! I know you were waiting to see them more than anyone ;)

Dallan |07712 415 619

dallantan

Z3 roadster 2.2i

Re: Dallan's Build Thread...(BE WARNED: Pic heavy).

Post by dallantan »

Well im off tomorrow to get my wheels quoted up to get them mirror polished

SHINEY SHINEY

;)
Dallan |07712 415 619

Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

And now all you need is a couple of these...
I fitted them to my car yesterday...4 bolts either side which come with the splitters...Had to have them painted to match though..(£25.00).
The splitters were around $120.00 excl shipping etc. If I recall correctly the seller is called "racing_raven" or maybe it was "raven_racing"...whichever.... :wink: The best thing about them is that they fit accurately to the OEM curve of the bumper...no fiddling about or sanding etc...the finish on them was also excellent...no prepping to do except on the left unit which had a small rectangular indentation for badging which I chose not to have..so filled and painted.
"Normal is overrated"

TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Southernboy wrote:And now all you need is a couple of these...
I fitted them to my car yesterday...4 bolts either side which come with the splitters...Had to have them painted to match though..(£25.00).
The splitters were around $120.00 excl shipping etc. If I recall correctly the seller is called "racing_raven" or maybe it was "raven_racing"...whichever.... :wink: The best thing about them is that they fit accurately to the OEM curve of the bumper...no fiddling about or sanding etc...the finish on them was also excellent...no prepping to do except on the left unit which had a small rectangular indentation for badging which I chose not to have..so filled and painted.
How did you fit the splitters? when you say you bolted them on did you mean that? lol I've got the carbon fibre versions from the same seller, quality is spot on and they fit great but was wondering if using self tapping screws would be enough to hold them firm?

Cheers,

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

I have 4 predrilled 6mm bolt holes along the edge which fits under the bumper. They even have a recess for the heads of the bolts cast into the splitter. They sent me a total of 8 bolts which were 30mm longer than they needed to be, and nylock nuts with large flat washers to go on the nut side and prevent the nut being pulled through the plastic of the buper..I must say I'm a little puzzled by the pic you've posted. Thery are indeed identical, but without the pre-cast holes...I would query that with them, they may have sent you a dud set ?? I'll take a pic of the underside of mine to show you the very well made recess etc.
Self tapping screws would def not hold. They would flap about I think. The washers they sent me had 6mm holes, but an OD of around 30mm. The bolt heads are hemispherical and large too, so they provide a good seat for the outer clamping points on the splitter. They do fit very well though.
"Normal is overrated"