2.8 Z3 restore and slight mods

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

2.8 Z3 restore and slight mods

Post by theskippies »

HI all

Ive read a number of posts on here and found the build stories interesting, so as im doing a bit on my new purchase i thought i start my own:

here we go:

Wind deflector:
Originally holed, so i found some stronger mesh and installed it

Ive fitted a strut brace and without duplicating photos ive posted this elsewhere, and yes the E36 version fits easily

13mm Spaces fitted to the rear and this is how he is sitting now (my other half has decided his name is Zeus!):

Ive upgraded the bukbs to xenon, quite like the orange lenses so leaving them.

Didnt like the black plastic looking centre console so my other half fitted the new dash trim today (more patience than me!)

Before:

During:

After:

Ive also had to take the brakes to bits at the rear, slight scraping for two days (quitened down when handbrake on), to my surprise all came off easily only to find the pin that holds the brakes to the drum had came away !! So note of caution, make sure they are fitted with a full 90 degree turn when installing !

Next steps are:

Interior isnt the best, drivers seat is tore and saggy and very creased, managed to get a deal on an interior off ebay but all my electrics work, so i'll be stripping leather from new seats and installing on mine, next weekend job. Photos to follow.

Smoking rear lights:

Weekend after, im going to fit LED lights to the rear and smoke the lenses.

Bumper side lights:

Ive also found a company who has made me some LED lights on a carbon strip for the front bumper, once they come will install to see if they look as good as i hope. again photos will follow.

Thanks for reading :-)
Gazza

M roadster S54

Re: 2.8 Z3 restore and slight mods

Post by Gazza »

You're doing well ;)
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Looking great and some nice pics :P

Have you thought of fitting the roll hoops?

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Thanks both,
Yeah have thought about the hoops, still deciding on the full set up or just the aftermarket slot in ones, but really liking him without at the minute :D
Been round lakes in him today and he just drives lovely, so glad we decided to buy one!

Also forgot to mention, stripped out the spare wheel and carrier yesterday, I'd of never fitted what can only be described as rust ball with tyre

Anybody tried these chips?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 1046143227
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

Nice write up and it looks like you have a good clean car. I wish I had started one of these a few years back :head:

theskippies wrote:.............Ive also had to take the brakes to bits at the rear, slight scraping for two days (quitened down when handbrake on), to my surprise all came off easily only to find the pin that holds the brakes to the drum had came away !! So note of caution, make sure they are fitted with a full 90 degree turn when installing !
The rear brake shoe pins can also pop out if the retaining slot is worn, the slot becomes more of a hole and therefore cannot keep the pins in place.
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Brian H wrote:Nice write up and it looks like you have a good clean car. I wish I had started one of these a few years back :head:

theskippies wrote:.............Ive also had to take the brakes to bits at the rear, slight scraping for two days (quitened down when handbrake on), to my surprise all came off easily only to find the pin that holds the brakes to the drum had came away !! So note of caution, make sure they are fitted with a full 90 degree turn when installing !
The rear brake shoe pins can also pop out if the retaining slot is worn, the slot becomes more of a hole and therefore cannot keep the pins in place.
Yeah, this was a little worn, but with the full turn its secured. Full replacement necessary if it gets to be a hole?
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

theskippies wrote:Thanks both,
Yeah have thought about the hoops, still deciding on the full set up or just the aftermarket slot in ones, but really liking him without at the minute :D
Been round lakes in him today and he just drives lovely, so glad we decided to buy one!

Also forgot to mention, stripped out the spare wheel and carrier yesterday, I'd of never fitted what can only be described as rust ball with tyre

Interesting. I'd like the extra 23 or so horse power for my 2.8. But, do they really work as advertised (I'm sceptical) and how are they installed?
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

John1950 wrote:

Interesting. I'd like the extra 23 or so horse power for my 2.8. But, do they really work as advertised (I'm sceptical) and how are they installed?
They solder into ecu, the feedback is actually decent, might take the plunge and report back shortly :D
Brian H

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Brian H »

theskippies wrote:.......Full replacement necessary if it gets to be a hole?
Not quite, you can buy standard brake shoe pins, springs and clips and feed the pins in from the back side of the protection plate to hold the shoes in place. Replacement of the protection plate requires the hub to be removed. :head:
John1950

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by John1950 »

theskippies wrote:
John1950 wrote:

They solder into ecu, the feedback is actually decent, might take the plunge and report back shortly :D
Please do. I'd love to read a report and see some installation photos.
John Walker
Baarn, Holland
Image Image

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by stupot50 »

Where did you get the "wood" trim from, is it the kit from Germany on Ebay. I want a brushed aluminium finish for mine. Was it easy to install?
1999 2.8 Arctic Silver Z3
1987 Black Renault Alpine GTA V6 Turbo
2007 325d Msport - remapped
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Sounds like you're having fun!
The single and reasonably inexpensive mod is fitting the M50 Intake with the big bore throttle body...this will improve the torque hugely. If you then fit the chip and can gain another 25 -30 HP (and the torque that goes with it) you should have a pleasantly improved drive....and, if you increase the diameter of the exhaust pipe from the front box through to the rear...you will free up another 5 horses by reducing the back pressure of the gasses...It will probably give you the sort of power the car had when it was brand new..maybe even a bit more.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Please do. I'd love to read a report and see some installation photos.[/quote]
Will do, give me 3 weeks or so :)
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

stupot50 wrote:Where did you get the "wood" trim from, is it the kit from Germany on Ebay. I want a brushed aluminium finish for mine. Was it easy to install?
Yeah its the kit from Germany, it looked easy, just line it up (making sure it clean) fit it on, then hairdryer it on full heat and smooth it down.
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Southernboy wrote:Sounds like you're having fun!
The single and reasonably inexpensive mod is fitting the M50 Intake with the big bore throttle body...this will improve the torque hugely. If you then fit the chip and can gain another 25 -30 HP (and the torque that goes with it) you should have a pleasantly improved drive....and, if you increase the diameter of the exhaust pipe from the front box through to the rear...you will free up another 5 horses by reducing the back pressure of the gasses...It will probably give you the sort of power the car had when it was brand new..maybe even a bit more.
Thanks southern, It was alluded to that its had the manifold fitted, certainly redlines easily enough. No big bore throttle fitted though, so I'm now unsure, advice on how I know for sure would be welcomed.
Stainless exhaust and manifold are on my future to do list :D
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

Brian H wrote:
theskippies wrote:.......Full replacement necessary if it gets to be a hole?
Not quite, you can buy standard brake shoe pins, springs and clips and feed the pins in from the back side of the protection plate to hold the shoes in place. Replacement of the protection plate requires the hub to be removed. :head:
That's a good solution and one I hadn't thought of, thanks brian
Southernboy

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Southernboy »

Contact Ian at:- alpina527@aol.com
He is the fundi with doing the M50 conversions. I bought a complete manifold + big bore throttle body off him...he sells them complete with all the interfaces etc...I had to send him a couple of parts back, which he re-uses etc...But if you contact him, ask him how you can determine the current status of your set-up, he will direct you flawlessly.
"Normal is overrated"

Z3 Upgrades and Additions
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

So this weekend has seen:
Arrival of led side lights, quality was awful so won't be fitting them

Purchase of random orbital polisher and of course the use of:

Alarm system now operational and I can unlock and lock my car without the key :D its the simple things

New stereo head unit fitted:

Still can't get fog lamps operational though.

Now ordered new gaitors for handbrake and gearstick, halo conversion kit, new BMW badges and dust caps.

Things to come over next two months
Private number plate
Novel idea for seat refurb (watch this space)
New chip for ecu

Thanks for reading , I love my zed :D
theskippies

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by theskippies »

So, finally got led lights and halo fitted
Not everyone's taste I know

Also stripped drivers seat out., note poor condition of foam
Mine has heated seats but replacement didn't so removed heated section which included part of the foam seat itself

New foam (from unmarked passenger seat)

Foam inserts have now been removed and section cut for wiring

Note per facelift and post facelifts seats are different but do fit with some minor mods.

Leather turned inside out to remove good 'panel'

And new section unstitched

This will now be sown into my existing seat back