BACK AFTER 8 year break!

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

BACK AFTER 8 year break!

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

...... Hi all,

i used to post on here (not too much mind!) when I had my Z3 2.8i back in 2006.

Well after a number of cars, namely a highly tuned Mitsi GTO Twin Turbo, a V8 Lotus Esprit, a CL55 AMG and a Range Rover... I am back in the ZED world with this:

A 2006 Z4m in interlagos blue..... always wanted a Z3m, never quite got there..... So now I am chuffed to bits. Back to 'fly by the seat of your pants' motoring lol
Boysie

M roadster S50

Re: BACK AFTER 8 year break!

Post by Boysie »

Welcome back
Lovely car :)
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

Gazza

M roadster S54

Post by Gazza »

Nice car and great colour :D
Gazza

"Understeer is when you hit the wall with the front of the car, oversteer is when you hit the wall with the rear of the car. Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall and torque is how far you take the wall with you"

Z3 S54 M roadster Image, BMW Z1, BMW M3 CSL, Z4M Coupe
ImageImage
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

Spent the weekend detailing the paint......

Side panels after three machine passes and a sealant...... pre-wax

Completed 9 hours so far..... still got the passenger side and the rear bumper to do. Next its the external trim and finally then the interior. Will probably total around 16 hours or so by the time its finished.
Not done the front bumper as in all fussiness.... I would rather get a fresh coat of stone-chipless paint on it! lol
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!! Whacked it out last night in one hit when I got in from work and finished at quarter to 4 this morning!!!

Finished the machining and waxing of the paint, all swirl reduced now and looking awesome. Then went to town on the interior, cleaning and moisturising the leather.... renovating and cleaning every bit of trim and roof/door seal on the car.... shampoo'd the carpets and we now have this!

(excuse the dull yellow light... it was early hours in my garage!)

CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

BODYWORK WISE this is what I have done...

Washed, ( I usually use 50/50 mix of Chemical Guys Maxi Suds and also Mr Pink. (One acts as a brilliant lubricant so you dont scratch or swirl the paint and the Maxi Suds does a good job of lifting the dirt away from the surface) This is of course after a good coat of snow foam. I wash using a Dodo Juice Wookie Fist/Mitt.
This wash method is essential in keeping a car virtually swirl free

As for the detailing bit....

Clayed using Meguires kit
1 x DA Machine (didnt use a rotary on this hence the sodding time taken!) using scratch/swirl reducing Sonus Pad and Menzerna Compounds
1 x DA Machine using a slightly finer grade Menzerna power finish compound
1 x DA Machine using Poorboys Black Hole which is great for those annnoying final fine imperfections (unless you have wet-flatted it) as it contains fine grade fillers. Work this into the car paint till it almost disappears to really bring the metallic fleck out.

1 x Hand coat of Collinite 476 to seal it in hard and protect giving longevity. (would give a second coat if doing in winter)
1 x Hand coat of R222 Carnauba wax to give it a final lustre.

TIME TAKEN = 18 hours (including the interior)

I will now just maintain it with a coat of Meguires Last Touch detailer spray after each wash and between polishes. Some may think I am mad... for me though I am happy in the knowledge my car is the best it can be (without handing it over to a professional that is) and I only have to go through that once if I look after it. :thumbsup:
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

SO - after my mammouth 18hr detailing and swirl reducing session on the paint the project moves forward........

My plate transfer is finally done..... the Eibach Springs are also now in place, (25mm drop at the front and 10mm at the rear) so the stance is much better

.............and FINALLY the new shoes are on!

I plumped for Avante Garde Memphis as they have a look of the CSL rims about them whilst still retaining their own individuality to step is aside from them. See what you think anyway.

PLEASE NOTE, I am still awaiting a small set of spacers for the rear to get them to sit just right/perfect.

Next up is the Zorst, although I really havent decided which route to go yet so I will wait and see. I have the front bumper being repainted too in order to get it spotless and immaculate due to the many stone chips it seems to have hoovered up along its years! BUT its looking a bit more like a "me car" now so I am happy.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

That looks great and the new wheels really suit it. Glad you didn't go for CSL wheels like all the other Z4 owners over on the z4-forum do :roll:

I recognise the dealer you got it from, Welland Cars in Bayston Hill? Can't believe I never saw it in there, it mustn't have been there long before you got it :)
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
Cooper01

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by Cooper01 »

What an awesome detailing job, thanks for sharing the pix and the method/products. You are more than welcome to come to Tasmania Australia for a holiday but be sure to bring all the detailing stuff with ya! :D
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

g8jka wrote:That looks great and the new wheels really suit it. Glad you didn't go for CSL wheels like all the other Z4 owners over on the z4-forum do :roll:

I recognise the dealer you got it from, Welland Cars in Bayston Hill? Can't believe I never saw it in there, it mustn't have been there long before you got it :)

OH it wasnt... I made sure of that! I BOUGHT IT WITHOUT EVEN SEEING IT and snapped it up quickly! :lol:
Captain

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Captain »

Great detailing job, nice choice of wheels.
ImageImage
zee3zee3

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by zee3zee3 »

After a Z3 2.2 for a number of years and some 63000 miles changed to a Z4 great car , 911 fantastic car but not a diy fun car to run on a budget. The Z3 was still my favourite god know why as its not the best car to drive out of them , but its size, design, and lack of complexity that maybe make it a true “old fashioned” style roadster but with a touch of a modern feel that no one makes anymore for the price. So started looking one with low mileage as poss as thought they are now getting rarer. Found one, 2.8 always garaged,as it is now and 20,000 miles :) http://www.dropshots.com/jeddyk/date/20 ... 5/16:28:19
CockneyPlayboy

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by CockneyPlayboy »

Cooper01 wrote:What an awesome detailing job, thanks for sharing the pix and the method/products. You are more than welcome to come to Tasmania Australia for a holiday but be sure to bring all the detailing stuff with ya! :D
Cant promise they'd let me over with all that but I'll crack you a deal... I'll supply the skills and elbow grease it if you supply the Fosters and the polishing kit! :lol: