g8jka - New 2.8 Roadster Progress Journal

Post pictures of your car and discuss it here. One car per thread, and keep it on-topic, please!
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Re: g8jka - New 2.8 Roadster Progress Journal

Post by g8jka »

Had a spare day on Sunday which gave me (well Gookah!) a chance to get my new manifold fitted. This came from a 3.0 X5, the same as those fitted to the E46 330 which are the ones needed to fit the 2.8 facelifts. All that is needed is the manifold, DISA valve (which is bigger) and a throttle body adaptor plate. My manifold came with a DISA which I picked up for a bargain at £55 and then a throttle body adaptor plate from Bimmertune at around £22. Most people who do this upgrade get the manifold from a 330 which were anywhere from £60 upwards, plus a new DISA at £80 upwards then the adaptor plate. Any M54 3.0 manifold should fit and give the same results. Whilst doing the swap I got a couple of new inlet hoses as the old ones had small splits and changed the accelerator cable as the old one was very stiff.

Halfway point

Everything went as planned and was pretty straight forward, just time consuming and took a couple of attempts getting everything back in place where it came from. I was unsure on what sort of gains this would achieve as people say the difference is massive but I didn't really think I would see that much of a difference. After driving it for a couple of days now, all I can say is WOW! It's like a different car, the power it now gives out in phenomenal and it really has made a massive improvement. It absolutely flies from the off now and pulls hard all the way through upto the limiter. In fact I've hit the limiter quite a few times as it doesn't seem to want to give up. We had it hooked upto INPA and no codes are showing up whereas before I occasionally got a couple of fuel trim codes. It idles perfectly and drives brilliantly. For just over £75 I am very, very impressed with the change its made to the performance :D

Next job is to upgrade the brakes and change the clutch hose.
2000 BMW Z3 2.8 Titanium Silver Roadster with too many mods to list :-D :drive
Click For 2.0 Progress Journal
Click For 2.8 Progress Journal
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Got the new discs and pads fitted last week. MTEC drilled and grooved discs all round along with EBC Ultimax 2 pads, plus new Meyle handbrake shoes. The rear pads plus shoes looked like they were replaced last year just before I got the car and they were in pretty good condition but all new ones were fitted. Painted up the calipers in red plus the springs in silver and fitted new springs on the rear. I also cleaned up the protection plates and gave them a coat of satin black, but the fronts could do with replacing at some point in the future as they were quite rusty.

Done about 400 miles with them now and they are fully bedded in, they have made a massive difference and stop you pretty sharpish, I'm very happy with how they perform. Just the braided hoses to do now which will hopefully see even more of an improvement.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

The secondary air pump has started to sound like an air plane on start up, much like my old one did and where it is attached to the bracket the holders have corroded away meaning it rocked all over the place. The noise can be stopped by disconnecting the pump but then you need to fit a blanking plate and as it is not needed in the UK it is perfectly acceptable to do this.

The air pump system units

All removed

Gasket and blank in place plus a grommet blank over the pipe and no more noisy pump

MpowerRob

Z4 roadster 3.0i

Post by MpowerRob »

Love the updates, especially the intake manifold upgrade would like to do this on mine would be a good addition to my simota carbon induction, where did you get all the parts, eBay? What bhp increase do you reckon you've gained?
Also Where did you get the plug for the pipe for removing the SAP.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

Yes had the manifold from eBay and the adaptor plate from a company called Bimmertune. Not sure on the increase as it hasn't been on a dyno but you can definitely feel the improvement. I made the plate out of some aluminium although I think you can get them from eBay if you can't make one.
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

New updates - Z3 silhouette decals on the ///M gills changed from blue to burgundy to match the roof and also the chrome slats have been plastidipped. Don't know how long this will last, might just do them properly in paint now as I prefer them black.

I've replaced the boot lid for one with slightly less rust around the lock/pull and it's in a bit better condition, not that the old one was bad at all and carried the de-chromed theme on by paint the badges and pull in satin black. I've also added a carbon fibre effect lip spoiler just for a change from the old one I had.

Painted the needles in the speedo red and added a new decal to fill the void, much like the ///M's have with the ///M Roadster / Coupe decal.

Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

:shock: 101k? Time for the scrap heap surely :lol:
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
g8jka
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by g8jka »

101K and counting! Daily driven, all year round :D
Buz007

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by Buz007 »

it'll do another 101 the way you look after it. Looks superb
''need I remind you 007, you have a licence to kill...not to break the traffic laws''
bertiejaffa

M roadster S50

Post by bertiejaffa »

Its sad but having brilliant red dials is still one of the things that makes me smile most about any mods
Here come the girls.....
My //M Refurb
My First Zed Journal