Spotted in London

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Spotted in London

Post by Racing Tortoise »

Not by me but by a fellow forummer elsewhere - and it's a 2.7 in RHD. See here: http://themotor.myfastforum.org/about11138.html

Must be a rare beast.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Ian W

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian W »

I'd be interested in knowing if any others exist as I also have a RHD 2.7 version (....er without the rather large '2.7' emblazoned on its ruimp!) Mine was converted at vast expense by the original owner when new in 1991 (it was apparently the penultimate Z1 produced for the UK.) The conversion was undertaken by Griffin Motorsport - who I believe no longer exist...... perhaps due to the questionable economic viability of such conversions...?! The original owner kept a photographic record of the conversion at various stages and it really had to be completely stripped down - must have been very worrying seeing your brand new £40k+ car in such a state before it had even covered a mile!

Obviously, I'm biased and it my not suit the purist but I believe the car in this format is much closer to what the original Z1 should have been.

I understand this conversion took the Z1, in its standard form, to 200bhp; so with the couple of extra mods I added such as exhaust, air induction and 'sensible' chipping, in my mind, the performance seems more in keeping with the cars looks....... and in RHD, the added practicality for stress free overtaking (or use of car park ticket machines!) ......Hey ho, one man's drink is another man's poison...... or whatever the expression is!!

Whilst writing, I'm now located in Falmouth, Cornwall (from Warwick) and wonder if there are any other Z1's down this way?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Ian W wrote:I'd be interested in knowing if any others exist as I also have a RHD 2.7 version (....er without the rather large '2.7' emblazoned on its ruimp!) Mine was converted at vast expense by the original owner when new in 1991 (it was apparently the penultimate Z1 produced for the UK.) The conversion was undertaken by Griffin Motorsport - who I believe no longer exist...... perhaps due to the questionable economic viability of such conversions...?! The original owner kept a photographic record of the conversion at various stages and it really had to be completely stripped down - must have been very worrying seeing your brand new £40k+ car in such a state before it had even covered a mile!

Obviously, I'm biased and it my not suit the purist but I believe the car in this format is much closer to what the original Z1 should have been.

I understand this conversion took the Z1, in its standard form, to 200bhp; so with the couple of extra mods I added such as exhaust, air induction and 'sensible' chipping, in my mind, the performance seems more in keeping with the cars looks....... and in RHD, the added practicality for stress free overtaking (or use of car park ticket machines!) ......Hey ho, one man's drink is another man's poison...... or whatever the expression is!!

Whilst writing, I'm now located in Falmouth, Cornwall (from Warwick) and wonder if there are any other Z1's down this way?
I heard the Griffin conversion was outstanding, compared with the Birds Conversion which I didnt think came out too good.
I drove one once, it was Green with what was lemon interior but resprayed green.
In terms of the RHD, it felt uncomfortable when I drove it, the seating position felt strange, as there was a hump in the floorpan raising your leg and the footrest was missing, is it the same in your car?
Have you driven the LHD Z1, how does it compare.

Would be very interested in seeing some detailed pictures of your car.
Ian W

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian W »

I'd heard similar comments about different conversions and those that have seen both have said the Griffin one seems pretty good.

Personally, I haven't had any experience of other Z1's (RHD or LHD) so have nothing to base any views on. Certainly, it's obvious you're driving a converted car, with the ergonomics of the centre console shaped away from you, rather than towards you; the wipers remain as if LHD; and, as you say, the lack of foot rest. Having said that, I don't think there's any other differences and none of those detract from the pleasure of driving and I've covered some fairly large distances without suffering any ill effects. I recall driving some Italian machinery where all the pedals were set over to one side for example and there's certainly nothing as odd or alien as that.

I'd like to post some photos but I need to find the time to give the poor zed some seriously required TLC (honestly, I'd get black balled or whatever the equivalent is on the forum if people could see it as it is!) - I'm unable to spend any money on the car these days but there's little excuse for not keeping it looking good! As soon as I organise myself I'll throw on some photos.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Ian,

Unless you are dying, hospitalised or suffering from Swine Flu, you must come to the Dutch Invasion tour next weekend, to have a RHD Griffin conversion among us would be worth its weight in gold. An ideal opportunity to compare and test your theory that the RHD was how you believe it was meant to be and give us an opportunity to inspect this rare conversion.
Griffin apparently made 20 conversions, yet I have never seen one in the UK, or met any owners, yet 2 show up within a week of each other, where have you been hiding all this time?

Falmouth to London, Silverstone, or The Cotswolds is a 230mile trek admittedly, bit its no ordinary trek as the Z1 is pure driving pleasure, so should not be a problem. When you consider we have Harry, Pierre, Franz driving from the Netherlands and Germany, it is not that far by comparison.

A number of us have made many a sacrifice to attend this event. Most recently, Phillip wrangled out of a friends wedding to be there :thumb:

For only the 2nd time in 20years will there be such a large collection of Z1`s in the same place, 22 cars at the last count. And im sure the Total BMW photographer will be keen to get a shot of your car in the magazine.

You cannot and must not miss this event, think about it before you answer, weigh up all options, we will not accept No for an answer :D Email or PM or call me for more details. (contact details on the thread)

Ben, Harry, Sam, Paul, Pierre, Everyone, stop polishing the cars for a minute, I need some support here, we need Ian and his Griffin at this tour.

Another unique picture opportunity for your book Mister Slick.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Ian,

Some time ago you were querying performance mods and tweaks, did you ever get round to it, what did you do and what differnces did it make?
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

:bow Your wish is my command, king Jet! :king:

So Ian, there is even someone who comes all the way from Munich, Germany to attend this meeting of Z1's. There will be some very beautiful and exotic Z1's. So yours would fit in perfectly.

Me and Pierre will attend this meeting from Holland with a 3.0l Schaffer Z1 and a 2.7l Ac Schnitzer Z1. The 3.0l is painted in deepseablue and the Schnitzer is in the rarest cloro of them all Fungelb(Funyellow?).

If you miss this one maybe in 10 years there will be a next one but are you and the Zed still there than? Nobody knows? So don't miss this one
! Don't spoil the party and join us for the meeting. The Dutch invasion that is! :thumb:

Cheers in advance because my fibes tell me you will come! :zmurf:

Regards,

Holland Harry aka Harold
Ian W

Z1 roadster

Post by Ian W »

Oh gawd........sorry guys but I definitely can't make it...... no really.....I absolutely definitely can't! :head:

I'd love to see all these wonderful examples of our beloved classic in the flesh but like many I will just have to eagerly await the photo's. Enjoy......... I'm sure it will be fabulous!

(I'm just nipping out to get some birch twigs with which to thrash myself to within an inch of my life!!) :bawl:
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

Damm what is wrong with my fibes! :puzzle:
PhoenixCoupe

Z4 coupe 3.0si

Post by PhoenixCoupe »

[quote="Ian W"Certainly, it's obvious you're driving a converted car..... the wipers remain as if LHD[/quote]

The E39 5 series in RHD has LHD set wipers...
押忍!闘え!応援団
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Ian W wrote:Oh gawd........sorry guys but I definitely can't make it...... no really.....I absolutely definitely can't! :head:

I'd love to see all these wonderful examples of our beloved classic in the flesh but like many I will just have to eagerly await the photo's. Enjoy......... I'm sure it will be fabulous!

(I'm just nipping out to get some birch twigs with which to thrash myself to within an inch of my life!!) :bawl:
Ian,

You must have lots of photos of this rare conversion, any chance of seeing a few of the interior?