Correct way to fit grooved disks?

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Correct way to fit grooved disks?

Post by BBZ149 »

Does this go on the NSF or OSF? Been online and keep finding conflicting info! I know it can go either way aggressive' or 'Passive, but what’s the best way?

I have not checked if the inner vanes are straight or angled yet as that would make it easier to work out correct way to install.

Thanks
Open and close with German style and ingenuity!
Holland Harry

Z1 roadster

Post by Holland Harry »

I have no idea Mr T.

Will this be ready for next week? I can assure you that you need this brakes than!! :D :D :D
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Holland Harry wrote:I have no idea Mr T.

Will this be ready for next week? I can assure you that you need this brakes than!! :D :D :D
Hi HH,
LOL yes hopefully! I have taken holiday Wed/Thursday as I need to:

Change both rear wheel bearings, as one is noisy
Paint all calipers
Change rear brake pads
Change all Disks
Change coolant
And if I get time, take the car to have the new roof fitted :?
Jet

blank

Re: Correct way to fit grooved disks?

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:Does this go on the NSF or OSF? Been online and keep finding conflicting info! I know it can go either way aggressive' or 'Passive, but what’s the best way?

I have not checked if the inner vanes are straight or angled yet as that would make it easier to work out correct way to install.

Thanks
The pictured item will go on the right, with the direction of the groves facing forward on the left.
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Re: Correct way to fit grooved disks?

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote:The pictured item will go on the right, with the direction of the groves facing forward on the left.
But most places I have looked, say this one would go on the drivers side of a Z1 :?: :head:
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

I think the disc shown should go on the nearside (LHS). Curved vane discs need to be oriented so they pump air from the inner radially outwards.

See the brembo site:
http://www.brembo.com/US/Performance/SportRotors/
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Deano1712 wrote:I think the disc shown should go on the nearside (LHS). Curved vane discs need to be oriented so they pump air from the inner radially outwards.

See the brembo site:
http://www.brembo.com/US/Performance/SportRotors/
Cheers, thats what I keep getting most places ive looked! NSF

Which direction should the discs rotate?
It is a popular misconception that drillings in a disc determine the direction of rotation. In truth, for an internally vented drilled disc, the geometry of the vanes dictates the direction of rotation. There are three vane types in use:
- Pillar vane (comprised of many small posts)
- Straight
- Curved vane
The first two vane types are non-directional, and can be used on either side of the vehicle. The curved vane disc, however, is directional. A curved vane disc must be installed with the vanes running back from the inside to the outside diameters in the direction of rotation. Orienting the disc in the manner creates a centrifugal pump. The rotation of the disc causes air to be pumped from the center of the disc, through the vanes, and out through the outside diameter of the disc. This greatly enhances the disc’s ability to dissipate heat. Additionally, all of Brembo’s slotted discs are directional, regardless of the vane geometry. The discs should be installed such that the end of the slot nearest the outer edge of the disc contacts the pad first.
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

It makes no difference as Mtec disks are not sided, whichever way you put them on, the opposing side will be incorrect and point the wrong way.

Something to consider when you get yourself a decent big brake upgrade :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

BBZ149 wrote:
Holland Harry wrote:I have no idea Mr T.

Hi HH,
LOL yes hopefully! I have taken holiday Wed/Thursday as I need to:

Change both rear wheel bearings, as one is noisy
Paint all calipers
Change rear brake pads
Change all Disks
Change coolant
And if I get time, take the car to have the new roof fitted :?
Aren't you supposed to bed them in for a certain mileage beforehand?
Is it a good Idea to drive all that way on new disks and pads before you do that?
KERMIT1970

M roadster S50

Disc Direction

Post by KERMIT1970 »

The disc pictured goes on the nsf. having just fitted some to my z3 and had a drooning noise when braking, spoke with my mate BMW mechi and he has a drawing from years ago up in his garage, changed mine abit better but still a little noise .
BBZ149

Z1 roadster

Post by BBZ149 »

Jet wrote:It makes no difference as Mtec disks are not sided, whichever way you put them on, the opposing side will be incorrect and point the wrong way.

Something to consider when you get yourself a decent big brake upgrade :D
Jet just checked them and they are drilled and grooved as they should be and as in the pic, in opposite directions so when fitted they will all rotate in the same direction.

Id re check yours, as you should not get 2 disks cut the same for both sides as they are sided!
Jet wrote:Aren't you supposed to bed them in for a certain mileage beforehand? Is it a good Idea to drive all that way on new disks and pads before you do that?
Ill be taking it easy for the first few hundred miles, you will prob also be bedding in your fronts and not a prob as stirling moss is leaving before us :D so we can take it easy 8-)
KERMIT1970 wrote:The disc pictured goes on the nsf. having just fitted some to my z3 and had a drooning noise when braking, spoke with my mate BMW mechi and he has a drawing from years ago up in his garage, changed mine abit better but still a little noise .
Cheers Kermit, that's the way ill be fitting them and I really hope there's not too much noise when breaking!
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

NSF, Trust Enzo
and they are handed as can be seen in first picture, grooves are machined opposite ways, this takes the debris and gases from the centre of the disc to the edge as the wheel is rotating

Why when people ask a clear question like NSF or OSF do we get replies like right hand side, left hand side, (which both depend on where you are viewing the car from) or drivers side which on a Z1 is the NSF in UK.
Whats wrong with replying NSF or OSF? :D
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

gookah wrote:Why when people ask a clear question like NSF or OSF do we get replies like right hand side, left hand side, (which both depend on where you are viewing the car from) or drivers side which on a Z1 is the NSF in UK.
NSF and OSF depend on whether you drive on the left or the right.

LHS and RHS are always the same when viewed from the driver's seat facing forward.

I worked for the MOD for many years and there was a great deal of confusion over this very issue until the LHS/RHS convention was adopted. RHD vehicles used in Germany and LHD vehicles used in UK caused confusion. Does NSF change to OSF when the vehicle is taken abroad, etc.?
Pingu
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

I'm ready to go, my disks are worn in nicely.
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

pingu wrote:
gookah wrote:Why when people ask a clear question like NSF or OSF do we get replies like right hand side, left hand side, (which both depend on where you are viewing the car from) or drivers side which on a Z1 is the NSF in UK.
NSF and OSF depend on whether you drive on the left or the right.

Does NSF change to OSF when the vehicle is taken abroad, etc.?
he is in the UK so NSF is always NSF, I dont think he asked which side should he fit them if he wanted to drive to Germany to do it :D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..
pingu

M roadster S50

Post by pingu »

This forum is used by people on both sides of the Channel, so I thought that a clear and unambiguous answer to the question would be better than one that only suits vehicles in a RHD country.

I suppose the NSF answer is good enough if you live in Britain, Ireland, Japan or Malta.
Pingu
gookah
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by gookah »

or if you were replying to the actual question wording as asked by the original poster.
:D

Z3 2.8 Progress Journal (Mine)
Z3 1.9 Sport Progress Journal (Wifey's)

I have an element of 'M-styling' on my car, If that's a good enough reason for the manufacturers to adorn a 320 with the M badge, then its certainly a good enough reason for me..