Tough decision - selling Z1

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Tough decision - selling Z1

Post by Racing Tortoise »

As mentioned to Jet on the phone the other day, I sadly have to decide whether or not to sell my Z1. I am in the middle of a very expensive house renovation and frankly realising the cash I have locked up in the Z1 would make a substantial difference to my peace of mind and bank balance health. Ultimately the Z1 is just too valuable for its own good at this point.

In any event, it actually gets very little use these days – barely 1,000 miles per year and often doesn't turn a wheel for a month at a time and once we move to the new house, I will no longer have a garage to keep it in, so it will either have to live outside on the driveway which ultimately just is not ideal or I would have to find another garage to rent for it, which costs a fortune in central London.

Had a long discussion today with the ever-helpful and informed Munich Legends about what it might be worth. They reckoned £22k in the UK and nearer £24-25k (EUR29-30k) if advertising it Europe-wide on http://www.mobile.de, as going rates for similar Z1s in Germany are significantly higher.

Shall have to think on it. In the meanwhile if any of you know anyone who might be interested in a tidy black Z1 with 39k on the clock…

Last edited by Racing Tortoise on Mon 03 Feb, 2014 17:48, edited 2 times in total.
Currently: bereft of Z1
Previously: 1991 Ur-grun Z1 and 1991 Traum-schwartz Z1
Jet

blank

Re: Tough decision - selling Z1

Post by Jet »

Shame RT, but hard to argue with your reasoning. There is the one chap I mentioned, will send him an email.

Good luck
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Its an awful decision to have to make especially when you become attached to a car, personally you have to try and detach yourself from the sentimental side of it and look at selling in the cold light of day, as you implied the car is being used very little and you can release a fair substantial financial sum to be used to better affect.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
TitanTim

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Post by TitanTim »

Its an awful decision to have to make especially when you become attached to a car, personally you have to try and detach yourself from the sentimental side of it and look at selling in the cold light of day, as you implied the car is being used very little and you can release a fair substantial financial sum to be used to better affect.

Tim.
2001 Z3 1.9 Roadster Sport - 2012 Z4 sDrive 2.0 M Sport
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Jet wrote:Shame RT, but hard to argue with your reasoning. There is the one chap I mentioned, will send him an email.

Good luck
Cheers
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Hi RT

I hope you can find a way to keep a Z1 in your life, not many people have owned two of these cars as you have.

As you know they really are unique little cars that get under your skin and you have used yours in conditions that most of us wouldn't dream of SNOW etc. I had tried to add a link of your adventures from your Autojournals but it says site down for maintenance, anyone who hasn't read them really should just to see what can be done in a Z1. Can anyone add the link???

I think must of us are in the same boat in as much as the cars don't get used much. I don't think they will keep as we'll not garaged, and as you say garaging in central London costs a fortune.

Your input on this forum would be sadly missed.

Bit of a dilemma then with a major house project on the go...Think it through very carefully... and then keep the car! :D
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

I am very much in two minds. We had a very nice chap come and look at it just before lunch (courtesy of Jet) so since it was then out of the garage and it was a nice day for once, we then used it to go to a lunch engagement this afternoon. As we drove through Knightsbridge, my other half suddenly said "it would be such a pity to sell this car; I really like it" and our lunch hosts were equally adamant that it was far too nice to sell. But we can't ignore the value locked up in it.
deni2s

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by deni2s »

I think, just try to sell it to someone who will take good care of it and who will value it. There shouldn't be many regrets if you know that your car is in good hands. I believe new owner wouldn't mind to let you use it once in a while if he is local. At least I would be quite proud to show my Z3 to previous owners, let them drive it and to hear their opinions, and at the same time I had contacted one of previous owners of my car who did a lot of good modifications for it and he actually wasn't really interested. He just mentioned that now he has Z4 and that's all. Life goes on :)
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

deni2s wrote:I think, just try to sell it to someone who will take good care of it and who will value it.
That is a big consideration.
tg184

Z1 roadster

Post by tg184 »

Wondering if you have an update for us...
FOR: Balance
AGAINST: Yours will be in doubt at this price

- CAR Magazine's GBU summary of the Z1 in period
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Looks like the Z1 forum will be getting a new contributor...
davieb

M coupe S50

Post by davieb »

Yes, I am that man, picking it up on Sunday.

Thereafter, do I use the Z1, or do I use the M Coupe? Difficult choice - unless the sun's shining! Then no argument.
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

davieb wrote:Yes, I am that man, picking it up on Sunday.

Thereafter, do I use the Z1, or do I use the M Coupe? Difficult choice - unless the sun's shining! Then no argument.
Since I have always also coveted an M Coupe, I'd say you are a lucky man either way! And let's face it, you've got better roads to enjoy them on on your doorstep than I ever have had here in central London...
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Drove mine around a 300yard car park yesterday, for the first time in 4 months, was like taking a leak after holding it in for 3hours. I... Am... So.... Lucky.... :drive

Welcome Davieb,
As you have RTT car, you are committed to his appearances, 1.Silverstone 2.Gaydon. 3.Z1 Tour 4.Technical Day. 80 Days to the first one, how far are you from Oxford?
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Racing Tortoise wrote:Looks like the Z1 forum will be getting a new contributor...
Who got custody of the tortoise?
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Green Genie wrote:
Racing Tortoise wrote:Looks like the Z1 forum will be getting a new contributor...
Who got custody of the tortoise?
:lol: That stays with me awaiting such time as I find another steed worthy of it. I'm not sure it would suit the M135i.
sfh3l

Z1 roadster

Post by sfh3l »

Oh Jonny,

These things come around every now and again and you've made the right decision for you, for now. The future is full of possibilities and you can have another crack at Z1 ownership in time if that is what suits you then. In the meantime you have had fun and can look back at the little chap with a smile on your face. These days we should all be pleased to own cars that provide decent Gpg (Grins per gallon) and actually MAKE us money when we sell them. I made a 50% profit on my old E30 M3 and the Z1 is a healthy investment too, considering the fun that you'e had in it.

Stay on the forum and who knows, we might tempt you back to the land of baggy seats and wet left thighs :D

Good luck with your house and see you back here soon.
Best regards,

Sam Lever.

Anyone who says money isn't everything hasn't found the right classic car yet.
Z1 - 3.0csl - 987 Boxster - Austin 7 Special - Rolls 20 - '72 911 - '95 318is
Black Sport Evo M3 & SG M3 CSL - now someone else's pleasure
Blue 2800cs - now someone else's pain
Old cars - the original "Not for Profit" organisation
Independent Financial Adviser in Buckingham
My Financial Blog
Racing Tortoise
Z Register member

Z1 roadster

Cheers Sam. After the little car disappeared out of the gates in the general direction of Devon, I spent the rest of yesterday in a properly foul mood.
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Jonny

A weekend Z1 hire is always an option. There is a classic car hire business in shoreditch just off the old st roundabout. They certainly used to have a black Z1

I am sure we will see you back in a Z1 again. Like most of lifes fun things they can be addictive

TJS