Techno Classica, Essen

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
TJS

Z1 roadster

Techno Classica, Essen

Post by TJS »

Spent Thursday at the Techno Classica show which is very impressive in terms of size and content but most of all for the outrageous asking prices on the dealers stands. As expected the major German manufacturers put on great displays of their classics. VAG were individually represented by VW, Audi, Skoda, Seat, Bugatti and Lamborghini in one entire hall, Similarly Porsche and Mercedes. As for BMW they were in a small outlying hall and simply relied upon the various German BMW Owners Club Registers to put on a display which was somewhat disappointing from a corporate heritage perspective. Anyway ... Z1 content; Most were for sale, all had baggy seat bottoms, some badly repaired split front wings and the odd scuffed alloy. As for the asking prices ? ... as a Z1 owner I was very pleasantly surprised but somewhat sceptical. The German delivered, low mileage, one owner, Z1 RLE Alpina sold on the first day ... according to the smiling guy on the stand it was "very expensive"

Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Re: Techno Classica, Essen

Post by Green Genie »

TJS wrote:all had baggy seat bottoms
Nice pictures Tony, thanks for posting.

Sooooo glad I had my seats recovered when the Fun Gelb material was available :D
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Green Genie wrote:
TJS wrote:all had baggy seat bottoms
Nice pictures Tony, thanks for posting.

Sooooo glad I had my seats recovered when the Fun Gelb material was available :D
That was a very good move GG, does it still have the purple bit in the pattern? Unusual colour to insert, something to do with the magic violet I imagine.
We should do something like this for our annual tour one year, that RLE looks stunning.
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Jet wrote:
That was a very good move GG, does it still have the purple bit in the pattern?
What this bit?

Yes still intacto :D
kruisn

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by kruisn »

Great photos TJS. Very rare car out here in N.Z. I have heard of one but have not seen it. They are very pretty and unique. Thanks for posting. :cheers
Don't drink and drive home -
Take the Zd and fly home -
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

kruisn wrote:Great photos TJS. Very rare car out here in N.Z. I have heard of one but have not seen it. They are very pretty and unique. Thanks for posting. :cheers
Griffin Motorsport converted 6 to RHD for a NZ customer, as lefties weren't allowed back then. (might have been 5)

That still the case?
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Green Genie wrote:
Jet wrote:
That was a very good move GG, does it still have the purple bit in the pattern?
What this bit?

Yes still intacto :D
Aye, thats the one! :D
TJS

Z1 roadster

Post by TJS »

Compared to the NEC Classic Car show over 5 halls the Essen event is 14 halls plus 3 outside sales display areas. One thing is for certain, you need a good pair of walking shoes. Fitbit said 23k steps and I pretty much covered the event in 8 hours including the occasional pitstop for a beer .. or two, maybe three. I let the train take the strain.

Jaguar Land Rover have formally entered the factory "as new" certified restoration business rebuilding S1 Land Rovers, the very early Range Rovers and now E-types, all in house, not via formal engineering partners as per Mercedes.

As previously mentioned the declared asking prices are eye watering. If you assume a UK Z1 RLE is the equivalent value of an E.9 3.0 CSL then the following may be of interest.

For the standard Z1 I would compare asking prices to theZ3M below... yours for e.80k.