BMW Z1 - Strangest modern BMW - Doug DeMuro

International forum for all Z1 enthusiasts
Jet

blank

BMW Z1 - Strangest modern BMW - Doug DeMuro

Post by Jet »

Very Interesting Z1 review by youtuber Doug DeMuro.
Pay close attention to the car itself, being US based parts are scarce, which might explain it, but how many 'anomalies' can you spot?
I counted 7.

https://youtu.be/ssbSc0gaI04
blue_and_white

blank

Re: BMW Z1 - Strangest modern BMW - Doug DeMuro

Post by blue_and_white »

For a roadster I disagree about the scuttle shake, makes me think this car might have been accident damaged at some point what with the condition of it etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

It does raise some queries, the mirror switch bezel is an odd colour.
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Jet wrote: Wed 01 Nov, 2017 09:38
how many 'anomalies' can you spot?
I counted 7.
How's this:

1.O/S door belt/brush cover broken and missing.

2. Red headlights! Has the car been resprayed? Previously Red?

3. Inside of bonnet/boot lid looks like it's in primer or undercoat, further evidence of a respray?

4. Roll bar leather covering missing.

5. Roll bar metal drain channel covers missing.

6. Cigarette lighter-no picture of a cigarette on knob.

7. Boot lid gas struts laughably wrong.

8. Replacement fuel cap (no stickers tyres/fuel)

9. In some shots it appears that the centre console has an extra piece by the handbrake, but not in others!
Pat Slade

Z1 roadster

Post by Pat Slade »

Keith,

You must be really bored!!

Pat
Green Genie
Sponsor 2018

Z1 roadster

Post by Green Genie »

Pat Slade wrote: Sun 05 Nov, 2017 15:51 Keith,

Pat
You know me too well, the car is in it's P.J's and I wasn't looking forward to the long winter nights :(
Jet

blank

Post by Jet »

Green Genie wrote: Sun 05 Nov, 2017 18:51
Pat Slade wrote: Sun 05 Nov, 2017 15:51 Keith,

Pat
You know me too well, the car is in it's P.J's and I wasn't looking forward to the long winter nights :(
Take no notice GG, Pat probably didn't spot quite as many :D

I imagine this is a restoration project, the panel cracks, switch bezel colour, roof cover and fuel cap are a different green, the interior was yellow at some point in its life (green dash?). Really like the matt black leather retrim, including centre console and gaitor? Nicely done.
felix

Z1 roadster

Post by felix »

I agree with the scuttle shake - the Z1 is nothing special when it comes to chassis stiffness. Probably not bad in its day though.
Budget M3

Z1 roadster

Post by Budget M3 »

Hi Guys,

I've been MIA here on this forum since returning to the US from France 3 years ago. I brought the red Z1 with me and have been "tuning " it since picking it up at the port in California.

I have personal knowledge of the Z1 in the Demuro video. I shared space with it on the golf course concours at the 100-year BMW celebration in Monterey, California in 2016. The reason it looks like a restoration project is because it is! The owner purchased the original tub by itself--possibly one of the original prototypes that were "supposedly" destroyed. He then shipped the tub to the US, purchased the rest of the car in parts and shipped them to the US where the car was then reassembled. It is indeed a hodgepodge of parts which explains the red headlights on a green car! The VIN is a BMW VIN but it is not in the range of AL00001-AL08000.

Demuro doesn't know what he's talking about in the video either. All he sees are the doors and a roughshod car assembled from parts. I've not driven this particular car, but I agree that his comments about cowl shake, etc, are unwarranted on a properly sorted Z1.

I hope to correct the record with a video of my red Z1 which should be published by Petrolicious sometime soon. I connected with a video producer in LA (you can't swing a dead cat and not hit one in Los Angeles ;) ). We shot several hours of footage over the last month or so, and he is in the final stages of editing to create a 10-minute video. I'll post a link here when the video is up!
"Asphalt is evil, it must be punished!"
1989 Z1, 1990 Z1, 1998 318ti (supercharged--The Original Budget M3), 2003 M3 Cabrio, 1985 M635Csi, 2006 Cayenne Turbo, 1960 Airstream Land Yacht
Lord Taki

Z1 roadster

Post by Lord Taki »

Can't wait to see it.