Central locking not working

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
baggerstorbay

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Central locking not working

Post by baggerstorbay »

Hi all,

Am new here, but not new to owning a Z3. I've owned a 1999 1.8i Arctic Silver example since 2003.

Recently, the alarm started going off all the time when it was parked up. It does this from time to time, so not sure what causes that?

As a result, I started locking it using the key in the door, rather than pressing the lock button on the key fob. I believe doing it the old fashioned way locks the car, but without activating the alarm, so it wasn't continuously activating itself.

That's problem number 1. Then a couple of weeks ago, the central locking decided not to work, and just the drivers door would open when turning the key in the lock (I could manually lock the passenger door and boot for when it was parked up, but couldn't get them to all work with the central locking).

The red light comes on on the key fob so I'm guessing the battery is ok in it (Have tried both the main and spare). Last week I took all the correct fuses for the central locking out and they all looked fine, and when I put them back in and tried the key fob, surprise surprise it worked. But then failed again a couple of days later.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Don't fancy having to keep taking the fuses out and put them back in every time I want to lock the car or drive it!

Many thanks,

Paul
dazthephot

Z3 roadster 1.9i

Re: Central locking not working

Post by dazthephot »

Dude, I’ve just been through near enough the exact same problem.
Mine was cured, yes cured! By repairing 3 broken wires in the boot loom. Check my posts.
I also have the problem of water ingress in the tilt sensor but save yourself some time and start with the boot loom.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
baggerstorbay

Z3 roadster 1.8 TU

Post by baggerstorbay »

Nice one, cheers.

Having a good read through it now, and hopefully will sort my problem out.
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

My siren is switched off but have similar problems to you, I have repaired two wires in the boot(loom of doom) some times but rarely they all lock but of late only drivers door and boot. I have obtained the brick type fob and programed it and works same as key but you can see the button on passenger door trying to operate. I have taken all the parts connected witgh the remote operation on the drivers door off cleaned, oiled and replaced, just got to do same to passenger door, if that does not cure it a have second hand door actuators to fit which I am told can cause the problem, Geoff
mrscalex

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by mrscalex »

Geoff Crispin wrote: Fri 26 Jan, 2018 08:10 My siren is switched off but have similar problems to you, I have repaired two wires in the boot(loom of doom) some times but rarely they all lock but of late only drivers door and boot. I have obtained the brick type fob and programed it and works same as key but you can see the button on passenger door trying to operate. I have taken all the parts connected witgh the remote operation on the drivers door off cleaned, oiled and replaced, just got to do same to passenger door, if that does not cure it a have second hand door actuators to fit which I am told can cause the problem, Geoff
In case you need it I have a complete passenger door lock off the car which was ready to ship to someone but they just advised it's no longer needed.
ImageImage
2001 Z3 2.2 Topaz Blue (Trudy) - Keeper rebuilt from a write-off
2002 Z3 2.2 Titan Silver (Cookies) - Keeper rebuilt having been bought with a seized engine
2002 Z3 3.0 Sapphire Black (Peanut) - Keeper awaiting rebuilding having been bought as an abandoned project
Plus Willy, Kodak & Maycee - All 2.2 Sport projects. Yes, 6 is a lot of Z3s :)
Always happy to try and help with spares :)
Geoff Crispin

Z3 coupe 3.0i

Post by Geoff Crispin »

Thanks, the lock works with the key and tryes with the remote but will keep in mind, Geoff