leaking roof

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
edd_jedi

BMW other

leaking roof

Post by edd_jedi »

my roof leaks a little in the rain. not really enough to cause concern, but it is a bit annoying that there is a few spots of water on the seats after a long shower.

is this normal? looking through my car's service history it says the whole hood was replaced under warranty a few years ago due to a leak. :?
Deano1712
Z Register organiser

M roadster S50

Post by Deano1712 »

There are lots of threads on here about leaking roofs - you should try a search. It sounds like yours is leaking through the seals above the doors. Make sure you raise the hood with the windows down a bit then raise the windows last. That may sort it.
Z3M with a few mods...and a little bit more power
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Hi,

Its a very common problem with Z3's, and probably most softops.

I have a leak in 2 places, but just on the drivers side. Its where the bends in the roof are.. the window doesn't meet the top seal tight enough, and with the gaps in the roof bends it drips alot.

My dad fixed this problem for me by cutting parts of thick rubber, in the shape of the roof joints, and glued them on with some sort of super glue/sealant stuff, and the leaks stopped.

There are many threads on this topic, and someone does have a picture up somewhere, showing they did the same (with the cut out bits of rubber).
Suzy

Ollie ///M

M roadster S50

Post by Ollie ///M »

You dont have a photo of your fix do you? Car in the carpark at work today in the heavy rain and noticed a few drops on my seat!!! :evil:

Water sems to be going under the rubber seal? drivers side... i assume it is getting in where the roof join is when theroof is lowered?
burmagirl
Z Register member

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by burmagirl »

when I first got it, my zed's roof leaked badly in heavy showers; both seats (cloth at the time) were soaked after a downpour. I took it in to the garage & they adjusted the hinges on the roof & it doesn't leak at all now (unless I open the door, lol!). You haven't had yours that long have you Edd - take it in to the garage.

Suzy, you have PM.

burmagirl
Ollie ///M

M roadster S50

Post by Ollie ///M »

Ill try adjusting the catches that hold the roof down, i had a fiddle last night with it and it is a lot looser than the left hand side... there must be a thread on here somewhere about adjusting the catches?
edd_jedi

BMW other

Post by edd_jedi »

maybe that would explain why my roof rattles so much too!
///M_aniac
Z Register member

M roadster S50

Post by ///M_aniac »

Oodles of posts on here about leaky roofs. Search for hints and tips.

Best

C
BMW Z3, the only way to build a true roadster

Image - The most powerful letter in the world.
Cloz wrote:There is something that will never change is my love for Z3
smartypants wrote:Conor?

With an M??

The World's gone mad :D
smartypants wrote:The Z3 rear is a great thing to behold ;)
cngizbleevng

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by cngizbleevng »

Try Wurth's Rubber Care Gel Stick. Apply to the rubber surrounds periodically. It completely solved my leak problem.
Boysie

M roadster S50

Post by Boysie »

hi

There is adjustment to the roof
undo the allenscrew and turn the roof
catch one turn that normally does he trick

Ray
Last edited by Boysie on Sat 21 Oct, 2006 17:38, edited 1 time in total.
Ray

S50 ///M Roadster, Arctic Silver, Imola Red/Black interior
1970 Austin Healey Sprite, Original ' Now Sold :-(
2002 Harley 1130cc V Rod Custom

SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

I don't have a picture of what I did to stop the leaks, but it really is as simple as cutting thick bits of rubber the shape of the hood frame, and glueing/bonding them in between the folds in the roof (where the nasty water comes in!)

I can't take a picture of it for you, as I have my hardtop on the car now, and of course you have to remove the bits of rubber for the hardtop to be fitted. But once its not hardtop weather, they will be back on again!

:)
Suzy

Tourniquet

Z3 roadster 2.8

Post by Tourniquet »

SuzyZ3 wrote:I can't take a picture of it for you, as I have my hardtop on the car now
Pansy, it's not even into single digits yet :wink:
Convert to the church of "nice shiny engine bay"
All hail the shiny engine bay.
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Pansy :flower: ?? No, not me.. its just I don't like having the roof down in the rain... :roll: and as thats pretty much all we are getting lately, I thought I would keep it on..

Its just been into the garage to be sprayed the correct colour, and as it looks soooo sexy, I have decided to keep it on even though its not that cold yet..

Before
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/ ... C00631.jpg

After
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/ ... 006157.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l211/ ... 006160.jpg
Suzy

paulg

Porsche

Post by paulg »

Think it looks quite good in a contrasting colour! Might look even better in the red soft top colour (looks great with black).
daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Soft top down in the rain is great fun provided you go fast enough to ensure the rain passes overhead :lol: . Not much fun if you have to stop at lights though :bawl: :shake:

Another cure for a leaking roof is to adjust the stop on the window mechanism. Bit tricky to get to as its a small adjuster inside the door body but worked for me.
ImageImage
SuzyZ3

Z3 roadster 1.9

Post by SuzyZ3 »

Daverave.. you like sitting in your car with the roof down when its pissing down? Hmm.. I would like to see it...

Most people who take the mickey out of roof down roof up hard top on hard top off, are the ones who can't afford a hardtop..

Why is there such a thing about roof up roof down, and having hardtops!? Its our own personal choice, no one elses.
Suzy

daverave

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by daverave »

Not taking the Mickey. Have no problem with roof up, down, hard or soft just drive mine for fun so prefer to drive it with the roof down whenever I can. If I think its going to rain too much the baby stays tucked up in the garage!

BTW think you did the right thing changing the colour of the hard top. The guiness look just didn't look right.
ImageImage
Robin

M roadster S50

Post by Robin »

The last time my roof leaked was when I'd forgotten to put windows to the roof. Not the other way round. In other words secure your roof with the windows wound down slightly. Then raise them with the roof secured.