Screen Pillars

UK forum for general and technical discussion about the Z3 roadster
johnz3

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Screen Pillars

Post by johnz3 »

I decided today that I would do something about the screen pillars and the hard black plastic covering that was over them. It had become discoloured and had cracked at the top of both pillars. Previous advice has suggested using a hair dryer to release the adheasive and that worked a treat.

Here is what I did and it has worked out 100% and I mean 100%.

Firstly I tried to make sure that the colour under the cracked plastic was indeed the same artic silver of the car. Using some white spirit, not turps or anything else I dabbed the exposed paintwork (through the cracked p hard plastic bits at the top of the pillars and as advised it was the same)

I then began to pick away the hard plastic and used the hair dryer to
"ease the plastic away" This helped but I still needed to pick away as I did not want to heat the plastic up too much and possibly "burn" the paintrwork". When the plastic was removed there was still a need to remove a thinner plastic skin and this I did with fingers and thumbs plus white spirit. The film left after the hard plastic removal is like having bostik on your hands afrer doing some gluing.

The whole job took about three hours and I am well pleased with the result. It is perfect.

It is important to note that the only tools used were my hands, not for example a screwdriver to lift the rubber surrounds around the window surround or some form of improvided scaper to asssist in removing the hard plastic etc.

If you try good luck, it is worth it.
ChrisXL

M roadster S50

Post by ChrisXL »

Good job matey, one of the best "upgrades" on the Z3...... getting rid of the horrid black plastic :wink:
Member of Team Lauterbrunnen
http://www.fnbc.nl/
mich

Z3 roadster 3.0i

Post by mich »

Hi johnz3

Any chance of a pic or two :?: